||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2015)|
Baron Rothschild, of Tring in the County of Hertford, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1885 for Sir Nathan Rothschild, 2nd Baronet, a member of the Rothschild banking family. He was the first person of the Jewish faith to be raised to the British peerage, without having had to convert to Christianity. (Benjamin Disraeli, though born into a Jewish family, was a member of the Church of England.)
The Rothschild Baronetcy, of Tring Park, was created in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom in 1847 for Anthony de Rothschild, a banker and politician, with remainder to the male issue of his elder brother, Lionel de Rothschild, the first ever Member of Parliament of the Jewish faith. Both Anthony and Lionel were the sons of the influential financier Nathan Mayer Rothschild (1777–1836) founder of the English branch of the family.
The first Baronet was succeeded according to the special remainder by his nephew, the aforementioned second Baronet, who was elevated to the peerage in 1885. The latter was succeeded by his eldest son, Walter, the second Baron. He was a banker and politician but is best remembered for his interest in zoology. He died without issue, and his brother had predeceased him, so on his death the titles passed to his nephew, the third Baron, Victor. He was the son of the Hon. Charles Rothschild. As of 2010[update] the titles are held by the third Baron's eldest son, Jacob, the fourth Baron, who succeeded in 1990.
There is also a title Baron de Rothschild (Freiherr von Rothschild) in the Austrian nobility.
Rothschild Baronets, of Tring Park (1847)
- Sir Anthony Nathan de Rothschild, 1st Baronet (1810–1876)
- Sir Nathan Mayer Rothschild, 2nd Baronet (1840–1915) (created Baron Rothschild in 1885)
Barons Rothschild (1885)
- Nathan Mayer Rothschild, 1st Baron Rothschild (1840–1915)
- Lionel Walter Rothschild, 2nd Baron Rothschild (1868–1937)
- Nathaniel Mayer Victor Rothschild, 3rd Baron Rothschild (1910–1990)
- Nathaniel Charles Jacob Rothschild, 4th Baron Rothschild (b. 1936)
Line of succession
- Nathaniel Philip Victor James Rothschild (b. 1971), son of the Baron.
- James Amschel Victor Rothschild (b. 1985), nephew of the Baron.
There are living male descendants of Lionel Nathan de Rothschild who are in remainder to the baronetcy only.