Barratt Due Institute of Music
Barratt Due Institute of Music is located in Oslo, Norway. It was established in 1927 by pianist Mary Barratt Due and violinist Henrik Adam Due. It is a private foundation which receives government funding for parts of its activities. Located at Fagerborg in Oslo the institute offers music education from infant age through college levels.
The institute's motto is "From music kindergarten to concert podium" and the students are educated through college level degrees and onto the professional arena. Due to this model Barratt Due has through three generations been an important institution in Norwegian music life. Stephan Barratt-Due is the school's artistic director and also leads the Institute's ensemble-in-residence, Oslo Camerata.
Notable students and alumni
Former students include Tine Thing Helseth, Vilde Frang, Eva Knardahl, Henning Kraggerud, Frode Barth, Guro Kleven Hagen, Eiving Holtsmark Ringstad, Terje Venaas, Gro Bente Kjellevold, Christian Ihle Hadland, Alexander Rybak and Didrik Solli-Tangen.
Faculty include Stephan Barratt-Due, Alf Richard Kraggerud, Henning Kraggerud, Ole Eirik Ree, Michael Endres, Einar Steen Nøkleberg, Geir Inge Lotsberg, Soon-Mi Chung, Dan Styffe, Fredrik Fors, Jiri Hlinka, Anne Nyborg, Torgun Birkeland, Toril Carlsen, Solveig Kringlebotn, Arnulf Naur Nilsen and Tom Ottar Andreassen
- College Department – offering Bachelor and Master's degrees in musicianship.
- Music school Department – offering individual instrument training.
- "Young Talents" Department; also known as the "Talent School" – a service to children and adolescents between 10 and 19 that have particular interests. Here training is provided in instrument education, musical theory and ensemble activities.
- Music kindergarten – ages 0 through 5.
Orchestras at the Institute
- Oslo Camerata is the ensemble-in-residence
- the Barratt Due Symphony Orchestra: A full symphony orchestra with bachelor and master students and some musicians from the Young Talents Department
- the Barratt Due Youth Symphony Orchestra: A full sympohny orchestra comprising only youth 19 years old or younger
- the Barratt Due Chamber Philharmonic: A smal filharmonic orchestra comprising only students 19 years or older
- the Barratt Due Chamber Choir: Chamber Choir led by Lars Notto Birkeland
- the Barratt Due Brass Ensemble: Brass Ensemble led by Sverre Riise
- the Barratt Due Junior Orchestra: String Orchestra comprising youth 19 years or younger, led by Soon-Mi Chung.
- the Barratt Due Junior Ensemble: String Orchestra comprising youth 16 years or younger, led by Sigyn Fossnes.
- the Barratt Due Children Orchestra: String Orchestra comprising children 13 years or younger, led by Torfinn Hoffart.
- This article incorporates information from