|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|Professor Barrie Rickards|
|Died||5 Nov 2009|
Professor Richard Barrie Rickards, (1938 – 2009), was Emeritus Professor in Palaeontology and Biostratigraphy at the Department of Earth Sciences, Cambridge University and Life Fellow of Emmanuel College. He was best known for his work on Graptolites. He is also a well-respected angler and was President of the Specialist Anglers' Alliance and the Lure Anglers' Society.
Education and Academic Career
Barrie Rickards' work concentrated on the systematics and biodiversity of graptolites in the Palaeozoic. This led to a better understanding of their palaeobiogeography and evolution, the manner of their recovery from mass extinctions, and a more precise understanding of Lazarus taxa, refugia and relict faunas.
Barrie Rickards was one of the best-known and most successful pike anglers in Britain. He was a Founding Fellow of the Pike Anglers' Club, and was past President of the Pike Society, the Lure Anglers' Society and the Specialist Anglers' Alliance.
Barrie Rickards had written over 250 academic papers, 700 articles on fishing and some 30 books related to both fishing and palaeontology.
- Leggett, J.K., McKerrow, W.S., Cocks, L.R.M. & Rickards, R.B. 1981, "Periodicity in the early Palaeozoic marine realm ( British Isles).", Journal, Geological Society, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 167–176.
- Cuerda, A.J., Rickards, R.B. & Cingolani, C. 1988, "A new Ordovician-Silurian boundary section in San Juan Province, Argentina, and its definitive graptolite fauna", Journal - Geological Society of London, vol. 145, no. 5, pp. 749–757.
- Rickards, R.B. 1995, "Utility and precision of Silurian graptolite biozones", Lethaia, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 129–137.
- Rickards, R.B., Packham, G.H., Wright, A.J. & Williamson, P.L. 1995, "Wenlock and Ludlow graptolite faunas and biostratigraphy of the Quarry Creek district, New South Wales", Memoir - Association of Australasian Palaeontologists, vol. 17.
- Dean, W.T., Monod, O., Rickards, R.B., Demir, O. & Bultynck, P. 2000, "Lower Palaeozoic stratigraphy and palaeontology, Karadere-Zirze area, Pontus mountains, northern Turkey", Geological Magazine, vol. 137, no. 5, pp. 555–582.
- Rickards, R.B. 2002, "The graptolitic age of the type Ashgill Series (Ordovician), Cumbria, UK", Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 1–16.
- Rickards, B. 2007, Richard Walker: Biography of an Angling Legend. Medlar Press, 320pp
- Fishing Magic article on Barrie Rickards
- Professor Barrie Rickards: palaeontologist and angler The Times. Retrieved on 20 November 2009.