|Occupation||Author, University Professor|
|Subjects||Youth participation, Community development, Community youth development|
Barry Checkoway is a Professor of Social Work and Professor of Urban Planning at the University of Michigan School of Social Work. Checkoway is internationally renowned for his contributions to the field of youth studies, particularly focusing on community youth development. He is a past recipient of the University of Michigan's Regents' Award for Distinguished Public Service.
Checkoway has taught at the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Pennsylvania, and was a visiting scholar at the London School of Economics and Political Science and Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He is also the founding director of the Edward Ginsberg Center for Community Service and Learning.
At the beginning of the Clinton administration Checkoway worked closely with officials to develop the Corporation for National Service, particularly on the AmeriCorps and Learn and Serve America programs. He is director of one of the state of Michigan's first AmeriCorps programs, the Michigan Neighborhood AmeriCorps Program. Checkoway has also chaired the University of Michigan Task Force on Community Service Learning.
Barry Checkoway is engaged in a sustained effort to reach out to the City of Detroit. His efforts and the work of his students touch the lives of thousands of Detroit-area residents, including community-based public health programs, strategic planning and project development with Hartford Memorial Baptist Church, and participation and planning for low-income neighborhoods.
- (2009) Community Change for Diverse Democracy. Community Development Journal. 44(1) pp. 5–21
- (2006) Youth Participation And Community Change. With Lorraine M. Gutierrez. Haworth Press.
- (2005) "Youth Participation as Social Justice" in Community Youth Development Journal. Fall 2005.
- (2004) Participatory Evaluation with Young People. With Katie Richards-Schuster. University of Michigan School of Social Work.
- (2003) "Involving Young People in Community Evaluation Research." With Dobbie, D., Richards-Schuster, K. Community Youth Development Journal. 4(1), Spring.
- (1999) Youth Participation in Community Planning. With Ramona Mullahey and Yve Susskind. American Planning Association.
- (1995) "Six strategies of community change," Community Development Journal. 30(1). Pp. 2–20.
- (1992) Youth People As Community Builders. With Janet Finn. Center For The Study Of Youth Policy, School Of Social Work, University Of Michigan.
- (1987) Strategic Perspectives on Planning Practice. Lexington Books.
- (1985) The Metropolitan Midwest: Policy Problems and Prospects for Change. With Carl Patton. University of Illinois Press.
- (1983) Skills in Community Practice: A Bibliography. CPL Bibliographies.
- "Best Feature Award." Journal of the American Planning Association.
- University of Michigan's Regents' Award for Distinguished Public Service.
- (1994) "Faculty Awards Barry Checkoway Regents’ Award for Distinguished Service." University Record. 10/3/94. Retrieved 6/25/07.
- (nd) Advisory Board. American Association of Colleges and Universities. Retrieved 6/25/07.
- (nd) Profile: Barry Checkoway. University of Michigan School of Social Work. Retrieved 6/25/07.
- (1994) Best Feature Awards. APA. Retrieved 6/24/07.
- Youth and Community - Checkoway's program at U. of M.