Barry Eisler, 2009.
Barry Eisler (born 1964) is a best-selling American novelist. He is the author of two thriller series, the first featuring anti-hero John Rain, a half-Japanese, half-American former soldier turned freelance assassin, and a second featuring black ops soldier Ben Treven. Eisler also writes about politics and language on his blog "Heart of the Matter", and at the blogs CHUD, Firedoglake, The Huffington Post, MichaelMoore.com, The Smirking Chimp, and Truthout.
After graduating from Cornell Law School in 1989, Eisler joined the CIA, where he held a covert position with the Directorate of Operations. He left the Agency in 1992 and thereafter worked as a technology lawyer and startup executive in Silicon Valley and Japan, earning his black belt at the Kodokan International Judo Center along the way. He started writing full time in 2002 when he sold the rights to his debut novel, Rain Fall, the first of his seven-book series featuring John Rain.
Eisler made news in March 2011 when he walked away from a reported half million dollar advance from St. Martin's Press in order to go the self-publishing route pioneered by his colleague Joe Konrath and others. He then took a six-figure deal to publish his latest John Rain novel (The Detachment) under Amazon's Thomas & Mercer mystery imprint.
John Rain Novels
- A Clean Kill in Tokyo, previous published as Rain Fall (2002)
- A Lonely Resurrection, previously published as Hard Rain in the US and Blood from Blood in the UK (2003)
- Winner Take All, previously published as Rain Storm in the US and Choke Point in the UK (2004)
- Redemption Games, previously published as Killing Rain in the US and One Last Kill in the UK (2005)
- Extremis, previously published as The Last Assassin (2006)
- The Killer Ascendant, previously published as Requiem for an Assassin (2007)
- The Detachment (2011)(w/ Ben Treven)
- Graveyard of Memories (2014)
Ben Treven Novels
- The Lost Coast (Larison, 2011)
- Paris is a Bitch (Rain/Delilah, 2011)
- The Khmer Kill (Dox, 2012)
- London Twist (Delilah, 2013)
- Be The Monkey: A Conversation About The New World Of Publishing (with Joe Konrath)
- The Ass Is A Poor Receptacle For The Head: Why Democrats Suck At Communication, And How They Could Improve
- Eisler, Barry. "From the Author". Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Pinter, Jason. "Why I'm Self-Publishing". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- National Public Radio. "Barry Eisler's 'Detachment' From 'Legacy' Publishing". Morning Edition. National Public Radio. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- O'Brien, Jenny. "Thriller author Barry Eisler signs with Amazon’s Thomas & Mercer imprint". Puget Sound Business Journal. Puget Sound Business Journal. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Barry awards". Deadly Pleasures. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "The gumshoe award". Crime Fiction Awards. Omnimystery. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2009-03-29/hardcover-fiction/list.html. Retrieved 13 April 2014. Missing or empty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barry Eisler.|
- Barry Eisler Official Website
- Eisler's blog, Heart of the Matter
- Eisler on Truthout
- Article on the John Rain Books by Jeff Riggenbach
- IMDB listing for Rain Fall
- Eisler on GRITtv
- Eisler on The Young Turks
- Works by or about Barry Eisler in libraries (WorldCat catalog)