|Born||11 January 1941
Prestatyn, North Wales
|Died||31 August 2009 (aged 68)
Santa Eulalia del Río, Ibiza
Birmingham College of Art and Crafts, 1957-1958Saint Martin's School of Art, 1964-1966
Royal Academician, 1991Commander of the Order of the British Empire, 1996
Barry Flanagan was born on 11 January 1941 in Prestatyn, in North Wales. From 1957 to 1958 he studied architecture at Birmingham College of Art and Crafts. He studied sculpture at Saint Martin's School of Art in London from 1964 to 1966, and from 1967 to 1971 taught both at Saint Martin's and at the Central School of Art and Design.
He was the subject of a biographical film by Peter Bach, The Man Who Sculpted Hares: Barry Flanagan, A Life.
'Poet of the Building Site' by Robin Marchesi. A book on his life with Barry Flanagan was published by The Irish Museum of Modern Art 2011. 
Tate Britain held a retrospective show Early Works 1965–1982 from September 2011 to January 2012. This exhibition contained many examples of his less well known pieces using materials such as cloth and rope, as well as some of the early bronze hare sculptures for which he became famous.
At an exhibition held by Sotheby's at Chatsworth House, Derbyshire, in September-October 2012, fifteen of Flanagan's works were shown in a parkland setting. They included Large Nijinski on Anvil Point and Nijinski Hare, placed at opposite ends of the Canal Pond.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- 2011: "Barry Flanagan: Works from 1964 - 1982," Tate Britain
- 2010: "Barry Flanagan: Works 1966-2008," Waddington Galleries, London
- 2009: Paul Kasmin (Park Avenue Armory), New York
- 2009: "Barry Flanagan: Hare Coursed," New Art Centre, Roche Court, Salisbury, Wiltshire
- 2008: Vero Beach Museum of Art, Vero Beach, Florida
- 2008: Waddington Galleries, London
- 2007: Paul Kasmin Gallery, New York
- Obituary | Sculptor | Barry Flanagan | Art and design | The Guardian
- Barry Flanagan. Waddington Custot Galleries. Accessed October 2013.
- "Barry Flanagan: Sculptor known for his distinctive giant bronzes". The Independent. 4 September 2009.
- "The Man Who Sculpted Hares: Barry Flanagan, A Life". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mytts. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- The Hare In Union Square - Daily Plant Newsletter
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barry Flanagan.|