|Irish name||Barra Mac Giolla Íosa|
12 January 1980 |
County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Occupation||Service engineer / car wash owner|
Barry Gillis (Irish: Barra Mac Giolla Íosa; born 12 January 1980) is an Irish Gaelic footballer who plays for Derry, with whom he has won the National League twice. He plays his club football for Magherafelt O'Donovan Rossa.
Gillis plays full forward for Magherafelt, but plays as goalkeeper for Derry. He is in the unique position of winning a National League medal as an outfielder (2000), and another National League medal as goalkeeper (2008).
Gillis was originally called up to the Derry panel as an outfielder in the late 1990s and was on the panel for Derry's 2000 National League success. Gillis was part of the panel when Derry reached that year's Ulster Senior Football Championship final, but were defeated by Armagh. He pulled out of the panel for a couple of seasons in the 2000s as he was working in Dublin, but returned again.
Gillis usually plays goalkepper for Magherafelt.
- National Football League:
- Winner (2): 2000, 2008
- Ulster Senior Football Championship:
- Runner up: 2000
- Dr. McKenna Cup:
- Runner up: 2005, 2008, more?
Note: The above lists may be incomplete. Please add any other honours you know of. works/owns a car wash that is 2nd to none on the station road of magherafelt.
- "Derry player profiles 2008". Official Derry GAA website. Early 2008. Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- Rodgers, Alan (29 February 2008). "Kerry litmus test". Gaelic Life.
- "Derry need to make a championship mark says Gillis". Hogan Stand. Lynn Publications. 2 January 2009. Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- "Derry record intact after a dour struggle". Irish Independent. 29 November 1999. Retrieved 2008-03-16.
- "Derry 2-13 Kerry 2-09 2008 National League Final report". RTÉ Online. Archived from the original on 30 April 2008. Retrieved 27 April 2008.
- "Derry 2-13 Kerry 2-09 2008 National League Final report - Derry GAA website". Derry GAA website. Retrieved 27 April 2008.
- "Derry line-ups 2005". Derry GAA website. Retrieved 2 April 2008.
- Hogan Stand article on Gillis (January 2009)
- Player profiles on Official Derry GAA website
- O'Donovan Rossa GAC website
- Official Derry GAA website
|This Ulster Gaelic football biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|