Barry Richardson (footballer)
|Full name||Barry Richardson|
|Date of birth||5 August 1969|
|Place of birth||Wallsend, England|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Wycombe Wanderers (player/goalkeeping coach)|
|Wallsend Boys Club|
|1988–1989||→ Seaham Red Star (loan)||?||(?)|
|1994–1995||Preston North End||34||(0)|
|1999||→ Mansfield Town (loan)||8||(0)|
|2000||→ Sheffield Wednesday (loan)||0||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Barry Richardson (born on 5 August 1969 in Wallsend in the North East of England), is an English professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper. Richardson was the goalkeeping coach at Peterborough United, before leaving in January 2013; he is currently goalkeeping coach at Wycombe Wanderers.
He played for Sunderland, Seaham Red Star (loan), Scarborough, Stockport County, Northampton Town, Preston North End, Lincoln City, Mansfield Town (loan) Sheffield Wednesday (loan), Doncaster Rovers (1st spell), Gainsborough Trinity, Halifax Town, Doncaster Rovers (2nd spell) and Nottingham Forest.
Rejoining Forest, where he had coached the academy goalkeepers in the 2004–2005 season, he was also registered as a player being allocated (in line with his age) the squad number 38. He would be an unused substitute goalkeeper on occasions for Forest, wearing the squad number 39 in the 2008–2009 season, the last time being on 3 January 2009 when Forest beat Manchester City 3–0 in the FA Cup 3rd Round. He departed the club following the appointment of Billy Davies as manager, rejecting an alternative role with the club after Davies appointed Pete Williams as goalkeeping coach.
He joined Cheltenham Town as goalkeeping coach at the start of the 2009–2010 season whilst also acting as back-up goalkeeper. He was sent off as an unused substitute in a match against Lincoln City on 14 November 2009. He parted company with the club on 21 January 2010 following the new manager Mark Yates deciding to operate without a goalkeeping coach for the remainder of the 2009–10 season.
On 3 February 2010 he signed a two and a half-year contract to become player-goalkeeping coach at Peterborough United . He was given the number 37 shirt and appeared as an unused substitute for the game against Blackpool on 17 April 2010 due to the absence of number 1 Joe Lewis and the number 30 shirt for the match against Huddersfield in the play-off final, where again he was on the bench due to the absence of Lewis. Richardson left this role by mutual consent on 21 January 2013.
- Source: SoccerBase.com stats (English)
- "Richardson parts from Rovers". Doncaster Rovers F.C. Official Website. 11 January 2008. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- "Richardson checks in". Nottingham Forest F.C. Official Website. 11 January 2008. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- "Goalkeeper insurance policy". Nottingham Forest F.C. Official Website. 24 January 2008. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- "More new faces on the way". Nottingham Forest F.C. Official Website. 2 January 2009. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cheltenham_town/8130908.stm Richardson arrives to help Robins
- "Lincoln City 1–1 Cheltenham". BBC News. 14 November 2009. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "Barry departs Robins". Cheltenham Town F.C. Official Website. 21 January 2010. Archived from the original on 24 January 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- "Barry Richardson Signs Deal". Peterborough United F.C. Official Website. 3 February 2010. Archived from the original on 5 February 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2010.
- "Peterborough goalkeeping coach Barry Richardson leaves club". Sky Sports. 21 January 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "Coaching role for Richardson". Wycombe Wanderers F.C. Official Website. 30 January 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2014.