Barry Smith (academic and ontologist)
June 4, 1952 |
|Institutions||University of Oxford
University of Manchester
University of Sheffield
Internatonal Academy of Philosophy, Liechtenstein
University at Buffalo
|Alma mater||University of Oxford|
|Thesis||The Ontology of Reference: Studies in Logic and Phenomenology (1976)|
|Doctoral advisor||Wolfe Mays|
Basic Formal Ontology
Education and career 
From 1970 to 1973 Smith studied Mathematics and Philosophy at the University of Oxford, and in 1976 he obtained his PhD from the University of Manchester for a dissertation on the Ontology of Reference.
From 1976 to 1994 he held appointments in Sheffield, Manchester and Liechtenstein, and in 1994 he moved to the University at Buffalo (New York, USA), where he is currently Julian Park Distinguished Professor of Philosophy and Adjunct Professor of Neurology and Computer Science. He is also Research Scientist in the New York State Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences. From 2002 to 2006 he was Director of the Institute for Formal Ontology and Medical Information Science (IFOMIS) in Leipzig and Saarbrücken, Germany.
In 2002 Smith received in recognition of his scientific achievements the Wolfgang Paul Award of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. In 2010 he received the first Paolo Bozzi Prize for Ontology from the University of Turin.
Research activities 
Smith is the author of some 500 scientific publications , including 15 authored or edited books. He is also editor of The Monist: An International Quarterly Journal of General Philosophical Inquiry.
Smith's primary research focus is ontology and its applications, especially in biomedical informatics where he has worked on a variety of projects relating to biomedical terminologies and electronic health records. He is leader of the Basic Formal Ontology (BFO) project, a Coordinating Editor of the OBO Foundry and a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Gene Ontology Consortium, and the Ontology for Biomedical Investigations (OBI) Working Group.
Smith has received over $12 million in funding for his research in ontology, deriving primarily from the National Institutes of Health, the US, Swiss and Austrian National Science Foundations, the Humboldt Foundation, the Volkswagen Foundation, the European Union, and the US Department of Defense.
He has collaborated with Hernando de Soto, Director of the Institute for Liberty and Democracy in Lima, Peru, on the ontology of property rights and social development, and he advises the US Army Intelligence and Information Warfare Directorate on ontology technology.
In 2005 Smith founded the National Center for Ontological Research (NCOR). In 2006 NCOR initiated the Ontology for the Intelligence Community, now STIDS series of meetings. Smith was responsible also for initiating the International Conference on Biomedical Ontology .
In 1992 Smith authored a letter to The Times concerning Jacques Derrida receiving an honorary degree from Cambridge University, in which he set out numerous reasons why he did not support this prospect.
- Smith, Barry (1976). The Ontology of Reference: Studies in Logic and Phenomenology (PhD thesis). University of Manchester. http://catalogue.library.manchester.ac.uk/items/622496.
- Smith, B.; Ceusters, W. (2010). "Ontological realism: A methodology for coordinated evolution of scientific ontologies". Applied ontology 5 (3–4): 139–188. doi:10.3233/AO-2010-0079. PMC 3104413. PMID 21637730.
- Smith, B.; Rosse, C. (2004). "The role of foundational relations in the alignment of biomedical ontologies". Studies in health technology and informatics 107 (Pt 1): 444–448. PMID 15360852.
- Smith, B.; Williams, J.; Schulze-Kremer, S. (2003). "The ontology of the gene ontology". AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings / AMIA Symposium. AMIA Symposium 2003: 609–613. PMC 1480173. PMID 14728245.
- Smith, B.; Ceusters, W.; Klagges, B.; Köhler, J.; Kumar, A.; Lomax, J.; Mungall, C.; Neuhaus, F. et al. (2005). "Relations in biomedical ontologies". Genome Biology 6 (5): R46. doi:10.1186/gb-2005-6-5-r46. PMC 1175958. PMID 15892874.
- Schober, D.; Smith, B.; Lewis, S. E.; Kusnierczyk, W.; Lomax, J.; Mungall, C.; Taylor, C. F.; Rocca-Serra, P. et al. (2009). "Survey-based naming conventions for use in OBO Foundry ontology development". BMC Bioinformatics 10: 125. doi:10.1186/1471-2105-10-125. PMC 2684543. PMID 19397794.
- Smith, B.; Ashburner, M.; Rosse, C.; Bard, J.; Bug, W.; Ceusters, W.; Goldberg, L. J.; Eilbeck, K. et al. (2007). "The OBO Foundry: Coordinated evolution of ontologies to support biomedical data integration". Nature Biotechnology 25 (11): 1251–1255. doi:10.1038/nbt1346. PMC 2814061. PMID 17989687.
- Brinkman, R. R.; Courtot, M.; Derom, D.; Fostel, J. M.; He, Y.; Lord, P.; Malone, J.; Parkinson, H. et al. (2010). "Modeling biomedical experimental processes with OBI". Journal of biomedical semantics. 1 Suppl 1 (Suppl 1): S7. doi:10.1186/2041-1480-1-S1-S7. PMC 2903726. PMID 20626927.
- Structure and Gestalt: Philosophy and Literature in Austria-Hungary and Her Successor States (ed.), 1981.
- Parts and Moments. Studies in Logic and Formal Ontology (ed.), Munich/Vienna: Philosophia, 1982.
- Foundations of Gestalt Theory (ed.), Munich/Vienna: Philosophia, 1988.
- Adolf Reinach, Sämtliche Werke. Kritische Ausgabe mit Kommentar, Band I: Die Werke, Teil I: Kritische Neuausgabe (1905–1914), Teil II: Nachgelassene Texte (1906–1917); Band II: Kommentar und Textkritik (ed. with Karl Schuhmann), Munich/Vienna: Philosophia 1989.
- Handbook of Metaphysics and Ontology, 2 vols. (ed. with Hans Burkhardt), Munich/Vienna: Philosophia, 1991.
- Austrian Philosophy: The Legacy of Franz Brentano, Chicago-LaSalle, Open Court, 1994.
- The Cambridge Companion to Husserl (ed., with David W. Smith), Cambridge/New York: Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- Rationality and Irrationality (ed., with Berit Brogaard), Vienna: öbv&hpt, 2001.
- Formal Ontology in Information Systems (ed. with Christopher Welty and Barry Smith (eds.), New York: ACM Press, 2001.
- John Searle (ed.), Cambridge/New York: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Applied Ontology: An Introduction (ed. with K. Munn), 2008.
- The Mystery of Capital and the Construction of Social Reality (ed. with David Mark and Isaac Ehrlich), Chicago: Open Court, 2008.
- Biomedizinische Ontologie. Wissen strukturieren für den Informatik-Einsatz, (ed., with Ludger Jansen), Zurich: vdf, 2008.
- Grenon, P.; Smith, B. (2009). "Foundations of an ontology of philosophy". Synthese 182 (2): 185. doi:10.1007/s11229-009-9658-x.
- Barry Smith, “ Austrian Economics and Austrian Philosophy”, in W. Grassl and B. Smith (eds.), Austrian Economics: Historical and Philosophical Background, London: Routledge, 2010, 1–36.
- Pierre Grenon and Barry Smith, “SNAP and SPAN: Towards Dynamic Spatial Ontology”, Spatial Cognition and Computation, 4 (1), 2004, 69–103.
- Barry Smith, "Beyond Concepts, or: Ontology as Reality Representation”, Achille Varzi and Laure Vieu (eds.), Formal Ontology and Information Systems. Proceedings of the Third International Conference (FOIS 2004), Amsterdam: IOS Press, 2004, 73–84.
- Barry Smith, “Ontology”, in Luciano Floridi (ed.), Blackwell Guide to the Philosophy of Computing and Information, Oxford: Blackwell, 2003, 155–166.
- Barry Smith and David M. Mark, “Do Mountains Exist? Towards an Ontology of Landforms”, Environment and Planning B (Planning and Design), 30 (3), 2003, 411–427.
- Barry Smith, “Fiat Objects”, Topoi, 20: 2 (September 2001), 131–148.
- Smith, B.; Mark, D. M. (2001). "Geographical categories: An ontological investigation". International Journal of Geographical Information Science 15 (7): 591. doi:10.1080/13658810110061199.
- Barry Smith and Achille Varzi, “Fiat and Bona Fide Boundaries”, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 60 (2), 2000, 401–420.
- Barry Smith and Achille Varzi, “http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/articles/niches.pdf The Niche]”, Nous, 33 (2), 1999, 198–222.
- Smith, B. (1996). "Mereotopology: A theory of parts and boundaries". Data & Knowledge Engineering 20 (3): 287–201. doi:10.1016/S0169-023X(96)00015-8.
- Barry Smith, “On Drawing Lines on a Map”, in Andrew U. Frank and Werner Kuhn (eds.), Spatial Information Theory. A Theoretical Basis for GIS (LNCS 988), Berlin/Heidelberg/New York, etc.: Springer, 1995, 475–484.
- Kevin Mulligan, Peter M. Simons and Barry Smith, “Truth-Makers”, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 44 (1984), 287–321.
- Introduction to Biomedical Ontology in Eight Lectures (Streaming Video)
- Barry Smith's faculty page at the University of Buffalo
- Works by or about Barry Smith (academic and ontologist) in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Institute for Formal Ontology and Medical Information Science
- Basic Formal Ontology