||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as it includes attribution to IMDb. (July 2009)|
February 13, 1963 |
Barry York Tubb (born February 13, 1963) is an American actor and director. He has worked in both television and film since 1983.
Tubb was born in Snyder, Texas in 1963. He won the state bull-riding championship at age 15 (junior division). After graduating from Snyder High School in 1981 he began stage training in San Francisco. Tubb moved to Hollywood in the mid 80's to begin his screen and television acting career.
He earned a regular role on the short-lived baseball ensemble series Bay City Blues and later a recurring role as a rookie police officer on Hill Street Blues. He played a shy homosexual boy who comes out to his parents in Consenting Adult as well as a wealthy corporate upstart involved in murder in Billionaire Boys Club. Barry's most popular television role was that of Jasper Fant in the epic westerns Lonesome Dove and its sequel Return to Lonesome Dove in 1993 which were partly set in his native Texas.
Moving on to film Barry accepted supporting roles in Mask, The Legend of Billie Jean, and as Wolfman in Top Gun. In 1988, he co-starred with Mary Tyler Moore and Lynn Redgrave in the Broadway production of Sweet Sue, in which he appeared totally nude, and which had a run of 164 performances. The following year he appeared in the drama Warm Summer Rain opposite Kelly Lynch.
Barry turned to independent filming and other interests outside of Hollywood. In 1991, he moved to France and rode in a Wild West show. Barry starred, directed, produced, and co-wrote the Cowboys and Indians low-budget thriller Blood Trail which lead to no major offers for distribution.
In 2002, Tubb directed the family film Grand Champion about the exploits a young boy who raises a prize-winning steer and struggles to save it from the slaughterhouse. He shot the film in his own hometown of Snyder, Texas.
- Temple Grandin (2009) ... Randy
- The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005) .... A.L.
- Truce (2005) .... AD
- American Outlaws (2001) .... Captain Malcolm
- The Big Day (1999/I) .... Tuff
- Blood Trail (1997) (V) .... Need Hawks
- Return to Lonesome Dove (1993) (mini) TV Series .... Jasper Fant
- Guilty by Suspicion (1991) .... Jerry Cooper
- Without Her Consent (1990) (TV) .... Trey Cousins
- Valentino Returns (1989) .... Wayne Gibbs
- Lonesome Dove (1989) (mini) TV Series .... Jasper Fant
- Warm Summer Rain (1989) .... Guy
- Billionaire Boys Club (1987) (TV) .... Todd Melbourne
- The Wide Net (1987) (TV)
- Top Gun (1986) .... Wolfman
- The Legend of Billie Jean (1985) .... Hubie Pyatt
- Mask (1985) .... Dewey
- Consenting Adult (1985) (TV) .... Jeff Lynd
- Hill Street Blues - Parting Is Such Sweep Sorrow - The Other Side of Oneness - Grace Under Pressure - Fuchs Me? Fuchs You! (1984) TV Episodes .... Officer Archie Pizer
- Christine (1983) (uncredited) .... Football Player
- Bay City Blues (1983) TV Series .... Mickey Wagner
Filmography as: Actor, Director, Writer, Producer
- Danger Zone: The Making of 'Top Gun' (2004) (V) .... Himself
- Grand Champion (2002)
- Blood Trail (1997) (V)
- "National Cowboy Symposium & Celebration, Inc. (Lubbock, Texas)". cowboy.org. Retrieved September 5, 2013.