Barry Van Dyke
|Barry Van Dyke|
Van Dyke in 1980
July 31, 1951 |
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
|Occupation||Actor, Writer, Director, Presenter|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Carey (1974-present) 4 children|
|Children||Shane Van Dyke, Wes Van Dyke, Carey Van Dyke, Taryn Van Dyke|
|Parent(s)||Dick Van Dyke|
Barry Van Dyke (born July 31, 1951) is an American actor and the second son of actor and entertainer, Dick Van Dyke, and nephew of Jerry Van Dyke. He has one older brother, Christian, and two younger sisters, Stacy and Carrie Beth. He is best known to audiences as Lieutenant Detective Steve Sloan, a homicide detective and the son of Mark Sloan (played by Dick Van Dyke) on Diagnosis: Murder. In the show, the characters' relatives were frequently played by real-life family members.
Barry's TV debut was as Florian, a violin-toting nine-year-old in "The Talented Neighborhood" episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show alongside big brother Christian. He worked behind the scenes on subsequent ventures of his father, and has co-starred with him in two television series, The Van Dyke Show (which was cancelled after just six episodes) and Diagnosis: Murder, as well as subsequently becoming a star in his own right, building up an extensive filmography. He also wrote and directed several episodes of Diagnosis: Murder. After Diagnosis: Murder ended, Barry appeared in the Murder 101 television films, again alongside his father.
Barry's other television work includes a starring role in the short-lived Galactica 1980 as Lieutenant Dillon, and appearances in Remington Steele, The Love Boat, Magnum, P.I., The Dukes of Hazzard, as Ace Combat Pilot and former M.I.A. soldier St. John Hawke in the fourth and final season of Airwolf, The A-Team, Gun Shy, Murder, She Wrote, Mork & Mindy, and The Redd Foxx Show.
- The Dick Van Dyke Show - Episode - The Talented Neighborhood - Florian (1962)
- The New Dick Van Dyke Show - 6 Episodes - Various roles (1971-1974)
- The New Adventures of Wonder Woman - Episode - Wonder Woman in Hollywood - Freddy (1977)
- Mork & Mindy - Episode - A Mommy for Morky - Dan Phillips (1978)
- Galactica 1980 - 10 episodes - Lt. Dillon (main character) (1980)
- Remington Steele - Episode - Steele Belted - Creighton Phillips (1982)
- Magnum P.I. - Episode - The Big Blow - Duke Davis (1983)
- The A-Team - Episodes - The Bend in The River Parts 1 & 2 - Archeologist Dr. Brian Lefcourt (1984)
- T.J. Hooker - Episode - Shootout - George Collins (1986)
- Airwolf - season 4 Episodes - St. John Hawke (main character) (1987)
- The Van Dyke Show - 10 Episodes - Matt Burgess (1988)
- Full House - Episode - No More Mr. Dumb Guy - Eric Trent (1990)
- Murder, She Wrote - Episode - How to Make A Killing Without Really Trying - Buddy Black (1990)
- Diagnosis of Murder - TV movie - Detective Steve Sloan (1992)
- The House on Sycamore Street - TV movie - Detective Steve Sloan (1992)
- A Twist of the Knife - TV movie - Detective Steve Sloan (1993)
- Diagnosis Murder - 178 episodes - Lt. Steve Sloan (1993-2001)
- A Town Without Pity - TV movie - Lt. Steve Sloan (2002)
- Without Warning - TV movie - Lt. Steve Sloan (2002)
- Murder 101 - TV movie series - Mike Bryant (2006)
- Murder 101: College Can Be Murder - TV movie series - Mike Bryant (2007)
- Murder 101: If Wishes Were Horses - TV movie series - Mike Bryant (2007)
- Murder 101: New Age - TV movie series - Mike Bryant (2008)
- 6 Guns - Video - Frank Allison (2010)
- "WITH AN EYE ON . . . : Diagnosis: Here's a part that came very naturally to actor Barry Van Dyke - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 1994-06-05. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Dick Van Dyke's prescription for success - March 9, 1998". CNN. 1998-03-09. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Barry Van Dyke - Filmography - Movies & TV - NYTimes.com". Movies.nytimes.com. 2007-01-18. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- Barry Van Dyke at the Internet Movie Database
- Barry Van Dyke at Fandango
- Barry Van Dyke at Intelius
- Barry Van Dyke at TV.com
Marriage and children:
Barry Van Dyke married Mary Carey in 1974, the couple had 4 children Carey (born 25 February 1976), Shane (born 28 August 1979), Wes (born 22 October 1984) and Taryn (born 1 June 1986).