Barstow High School
||This school-related article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2008)|
|Barstow High School|
|430 South First Street
Barstow, California 92311
|Established||September 15, 1915|
|School district||Barstow Unified School District|
|Faculty||81.2 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Enrollment||2006 (2006–07)|
|Student to teacher ratio||23.8|
|Color(s)||Cardinal Red and Gold|
Barstow High School is a public high school located in Barstow, California. Founded in 1915, the school soon expanded and relocated to its current location in 1938. The school serves about 3,000 students in grades 9 to 12 from across the city, as well as outlying areas. In recent years, funding from the city has allowed the school to expand greatly, including revamping of older buildings, as well as the construction of a science lab and a gym. The school is known for having excellent D3 State winning cross country teams, an award winning competition cheer squad and the Aztec Marching Band. In Track & Field DSL Championships held on April 30, 2008, Anthony Solis broke the DSL record for the 3200m in 9:37 and later went on to run 9:11 at the 2008 California State Championships for 3200m, after winning CIF-SS D3 3200m individual title. Barstow High School had the Individual Champion in cross country at the Southern Section Finals with Anthony Solis winning in 2007 with a time of 15:01 and Isaac Chavez winning in 2008 with a time of 15:04 (both on the Mt.Sac cross country course). Barstow High school and Victor Valley High School compete annually in the "Axe" football game.
As of the 2008–2009 school year, the school offers sports in: Basketball, Football (1969 CIF State Champions), Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Girl's volleyball, Track and Field, Cross Country ( 6-time State Champions,01,02,05,06,07,08), Wrestling, Golf, Tennis, Cheerleading (co-ed).
Originally the Bulldogs, "Riffian" became the mascot following popularity of the movie, The Desert Song (1943). When the school merged with the Kennedy High School "Spartans" across town the beginning of the 1977–1978 school year, the mascot was officially changed to the Aztecs.
As of 2008:
- American Indian are 2% of BHS student population, compared to 1% of statewide average
- Asian are 4% of BHS student population, compared to 11% of statewide average
- African American are 18% of BHS student population, compared to 7% of statewide average
- White are 35% of BHS student population, compared to 33% of statewide average
- Hispanic are 41% of BHS student population, compared to 45% of statewide average
- "The City of Barstow, California: History". City of Barstow . Archived from the original on 4 November 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-10.[dead link]
- "Barstow High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-05-13. "Students: 1936 (2005-2006)"
- Barstow High School website. Retrieved on 2008-05-13.
- "Barstow High Memorial". Barstow High Memorial. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- "Barstow High School - Barstow, California/CA". Public School Review. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
Aaron Sanchez 1st round draft pick in 2010, 32nd Overall.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barstow High School.|
- Barstow High School website
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Barstow High School