Bartender Song (Sittin' at a Bar)
|"Bartender Song (Sittin' at a Bar)"|
|Single by Rehab|
|from the album Graffiti the World|
|Released||May 27, 2008|
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Genre||Country Rock, Southern Rock|
|Rehab singles chronology|
"Bartender Song (Sittin' at a Bar)" is a song by American southern rock group Rehab. It was released in May 2008 as the third single from their album, Graffiti the World. It was the band's first single to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, at #64.
The song originally appeared as Sittin' at a Bar on the band's 2000 album Southern Discomfort, released by Epic Records. The band were subsequently dropped by Epic in 2002, but the song became an underground hit on the internet and on jukeboxes. Rehab were later signed by Universal Records, with Avery Lipman (Co-President of Universal) describing the single as a "viral phenomenon" and stating that he had signed the band based on the success of their jukebox airplay,
Rehab re-recorded the song, now titled Bartender Song (Sittin' at a Bar) for the Universal Records re-release of their independent 2005 album Graffiti the World. The song was released as a single in May 2008, charting at #64 on the Billboard Hot 100, their most successful release to date. The music video for the single featured Danny Trejo as the bartender and has a cameo from Larry Wilcox. Without their permission, their old label Epic re-released Southern Discomfort, retitling the album Sittin' at a Bar in order to capitalize on the success of the 2008 single.
Remix featuring Hank Williams Jr.
In August 2008, a new radio-friendly remix of the single was released by Universal, featuring Hank Williams Jr. singing the second verse. The song peaked at #60 on the country charts. The music video takes place primarily in a bar, and depicts the events in the song. Hank Williams and his daughter Holly Williams also appear in that version's music video, with Holly playing the role of the bartender. The remix was covered by Internet cartoon band Your Favorite Martian on August 29, 2012
|Chart (2008–2009) ||Peak
|US Billboard Hot 100||64|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||11|
|US Mainstream Rock Tracks (Billboard)||22|
|US Pop Songs (Billboard)||33|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||60|
- Danny explains the situation with the "Bartender Song" - Rehab Official Youtube Channel
- Their hit single “Bartender Song (Sittin’ at a Bar)” was the 10th most played song throughout the TouchTunes network in 2009. The band has gained commercial success and recognition due to the single becoming such a viral phenomenon. "Rehab is the first band in my career that we signed based on jukebox airplay,” said Avery Lipman, Co-President and COO, Universal Republic Records. Universal Media Group Press Release Feb 2 2010 (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5nQCabWby )
- Bartender Song - profile - Billboard.com
- Universal Media Group Press Release - August 18 2008 (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5nQC4f0X6)
- Billboard.com - Rehab - Artist Chart History - Singles
- "Rehab Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Rehab.
- "Rehab Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Alternative Songs for Rehab.
- "Rehab Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Rehab.
- "Rehab Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Rehab.