Bartholomew County, Indiana
|Bartholomew County, Indiana|
Bartholomew County courthouse in Columbus, Indiana
Location in the state of Indiana
Indiana's location in the U.S.
|Founded||12 February 1821|
|Named for||Joseph Bartholomew|
|• Total||409.52 sq mi (1,061 km2)|
|• Land||406.91 sq mi (1,054 km2)|
|• Water||2.62 sq mi (7 km2), 0.64%|
|• Density||189/sq mi (72.88/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
|Footnotes: Indiana county number 3|
Bartholomew County is a county located in the U.S. state of Indiana As of 2010, the population was 76,794. The county seat is Columbus. The county was determined by the U.S. Census Bureau to include the mean center of U.S. population in 1900.
Bartholomew County is part of the Columbus, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Bartholomew County was formed February 12, 1821 and was named for Lt. Col. Joseph Bartholomew, wounded at the Battle of Tippecanoe. The site of the county seat was chosen on February 15, 1821 by a team of commissioners, who suggested the name Tiptona, in honor of John Tipton; on March 20, the name Columbus was adopted.
The current Bartholomew County courthouse was built from 1870 to 1874 by McCormack and Sweeney of Columbus at a cost of $225,000.
It was designed by architect Isaac Hodgson, who was born in Belfast, Ireland in 1826 and immigrated to the United States in 1848; he designed six Indiana courthouses, including the one in Henry County.
The courthouse is built largely of brick and has mansard roofs typical of the Second Empire French style. Its asymmetrical "L" shape allows it to face two major streets in Columbus. The inscription indicating the commissioners, architect and date is high up on the east facade.
Today the Bartholomew County Veterans Memorial designed by American architect Charles Rose sits adjacent to the Courthouse.
According to the 2010 census, the county has a total area of 409.52 square miles (1,060.7 km2), of which 406.91 square miles (1,053.9 km2) (or 99.36%) is land and 2.62 square miles (6.8 km2) (or 0.64%) is water. Camp Atterbury occupies the northwestern corner of the county.
- Shelby County (northeast)
- Decatur County (east)
- Jennings County (southeast)
- Jackson County (south)
- Brown County (west)
- Johnson County (northwest)
Cities and towns
Climate and weather
|Climate chart (explanation)|
In recent years, average temperatures in Columbus have ranged from a low of 19 °F (−7 °C) in January to a high of 86 °F (30 °C) in July, although a record low of −27 °F (−33 °C) was recorded in January 1912 and a record high of 111 °F (44 °C) was recorded in July 1934. Average monthly precipitation ranged from 2.63 inches (67 mm) in February to 4.63 inches (118 mm) in May.
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||County (US) of Bartholomew in the state of Indiana, United States|
|Legal jurisdiction||As per operations jurisdiction.|
|Agency executive||Mark Gorbett, Sheriff|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
County Council: The county council is the legislative branch of the county government and controls all the spending and revenue collection in the county. Representatives are elected from county districts. The council members serve four-year terms. They are responsible for setting salaries, the annual budget, and special spending. The council also has limited authority to impose local taxes, in the form of an income and property tax that is subject to state level approval, excise taxes, and service taxes.
Board of Commissioners: The executive body of the county is made of a board of commissioners. The commissioners are elected county-wide, in staggered terms, and each serves a four-year term. One of the commissioners, typically the most senior, serves as president. The commissioners are charged with executing the acts legislated by the council, collecting revenue, and managing the day-to-day functions of the county government.
Court: The county maintains a small claims court that can handle some civil cases. The judge on the court is elected to a term of four years and must be a member of the Indiana Bar Association. The judge is assisted by a constable who is also elected to a four-year term. In some cases, court decisions can be appealed to the state level circuit court.
County Officials: The county has several other elected offices, including sheriff, coroner, auditor, treasurer, recorder, surveyor, and circuit court clerk. Each of these elected officers serves a term of four years and oversees a different part of county government. Members elected to county government positions are required to declare a party affiliation and to be residents of the county.
Bartholomew County is part of Indiana's 6th congressional district and Indiana's 9th congressional district; Indiana Senate district 41; and Indiana House of Representatives districts 57, 59 and 65.
As of the census of 2000, there were 71,435 people, 27,936 households, and 20,058 families residing in the county. The population density was 176 people per square mile (68/km²). There were 29,853 housing units at an average density of 73 per square mile (28/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 94.17% White, 1.83% Black or African American, 0.15% Native American, 1.9% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.96% from other races, and 0.95% from two or more races. 2.24% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 25.4% were of German, 25.2% American, 11.7% English and 9.1% Irish ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 27,936 households out of which 33.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.6% were married couples living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.2% were non-families. 24.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.5% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 29.70% from 25 to 44, 24.0% from 45 to 64, and 12.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 96.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.9 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $44,184, and the median income for a family was $52,097. Males had a median income of $38,350 versus $24,652 for females. The per capita income for the county was $21,536. About 5.9% of families and 7.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.20% of those under age 18 and 7.9% of those age 65 or over.
Public schools in Bartholomew County are administered by the Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation and the Flat Rock-Hawcreek School Corporation. The county's first tuition-free public charter school, the International School of Columbus, a middle school/high school, opened in 2009-10. The ISC was an International Baccalaureate World School offering the Diploma Program. The ISC closed due to financial difficulties in the fall of 2013.
- The Republic, daily newspaper covering Bartholomew County
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Bartholomew County, Indiana
- "Bartholomew County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Mean Center of Population for the United States: 1790 to 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Baker, Ronald L.; Carmony, Marvin (1975). Indiana Place Names. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press. p. 9.
- Counts, Will; Jon Dilts (1991). The 92 Magnificent Indiana Courthouses. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press. pp. 12–13. ISBN 978-0-253-33638-5.
- "Census 2010 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Monthly Averages for Columbus, Indiana". The Weather Channel. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- Indiana Code. "Title 36, Article 2, Section 3". IN.gov. Archived from the original on 5 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- Indiana Code. "Title 2, Article 10, Section 2". IN.gov. Archived from the original on 29 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- "Indiana Senate Districts". State of Indiana. Archived from the original on 15 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- "Indiana House Districts". State of Indiana. Archived from the original on 15 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Bartholomew County official website
- Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation
- Flat Rock-Hawcreek School Corporation
- International School of Columbus
||Johnson County||Shelby County|
|Brown County||Decatur County|
|Jackson County||Jennings County|