Bartholomew School Eynsham
|Headteacher||Mr A S Hamilton|
|Houses||Churchill, Harcourt, Mason and Morris|
Bartholomew School is a secondary school with academy status which is situated in the village of Eynsham, West Oxfordshire, England. Currently there are 880 students in the school, 100 of which are in the sixth form. The school's current headteacher is Mr Hamilton. Besides The Cherwell School, Bartholomew School is one of the highest achieving state-owned schools in GCSE and A-Levels in Oxfordshire.
Bartholomew School was founded in the 18th century by John Bartholomew when a subscription of £87 was given to him to finance the "Bartholomew room". The school remained there until 1847 where it was moved to its present site on Witney Road. In 1958 the school was expanded, and by 1968 it became a comprehensive secondary school for 11 to 18 year olds. In 2003, the school became a Technology College where Design and Technology is made compulsory for GCSE. At the start of the 2007 - 2008 school year, the recently refurbished sports hall was opened for use and is in partnership with Windrush Leisure Limited. The school became an academy in August 2012.
The School website is - http://www.bartholomew.oxon.sch.uk/
Bartholomew School has a newly reformed house system. The aim of which is to encourage competition in all areas of school life and increase interaction between the different year groups. The current Houses are, Churchill, Morris, Mason and Harcourt.
The school has recently changed its uniform from a white shirt, school tie, school jumper and black trousers to a navy blue polo shirt, no tie, school jumper and black trousers.
- Ben Perrier and Ben Thomas, members of music group Winnebago Deal.
- Ben Morris, a special effects expert awarded an Oscar for his contributions to The Golden Compass.
- Marc Hudson, lead singer of metal band 'Dragonforce'
- West Oxon Choices on Bartholomew School
- Contact Page of Bartholomew School site
- Department for Education and Skills on Bartholomew School
- ed. by Alan Crossley ...; Alan Crossley, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, W J Blair, Eleanor Chance, Christina Colvin, Janet Cooper, C J Day, Nesta Selwyn, S C Townley (1990). A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 12: Wootton Hundred (South) including Woodstock 12. Victoria County History of the Counties of England. pp. 155–156. ISBN 0-19-722774-0. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- Richards, Donald S (1991). "Thomas Symonds and the Charity School". The Eynsham Record (Eynsham, Oxfordshire) (8): 24. ISSN 0265-6779. Retrieved 2008-04-13. "the Charity (or Free) School, founded by John Bartholomew"
- Bartholomew School Site
- Wycombe Leisure Limited sports facilities in the West Oxfordshire District
- Oxford Effects Expert wins Oscar
Eynsham Record 1991 is now at http://eynsham-pc.gov.uk/documents/eynsham_record_1991.pdf