Bartlesville Air Force Station
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012)|
|Bartlesville Air Force Station|
|Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)|
Location of Bartlesville AFS, Oklahoma
|Type||Air Force Station|
|Controlled by||United States Air Force|
|Garrison||796th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron|
Bartlesville Air Force Station (ADC ID: P-77) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 3.2 miles (5.1 km) west-northwest of Bartlesville, Oklahoma. It was closed in 1961.
In late 1951 Air Defense Command selected Bartlesville, OK as a site for one of twenty-eight radar stations built as part of the second segment of the permanent radar surveillance network. Prompted by the start of the Korean War, on July 11, 1950, the Secretary of the Air Force asked the Secretary of Defense for approval to expedite construction of the second segment of the permanent network. Receiving the Defense Secretary’s approval on July 21, the Air Force directed the Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction.
On 1 May 1951 the 796th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron began operating a pair of AN/FPS-10 radars, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. In 1958 an AN/FPS-6 replaced the AN/FPS-10 height-finder radar.
In addition to the main facility, Bartlesville operated two AN/FPS-14 Gap Filler site:
- Ottawa, OK (P-77A)
- Winfield, OK (P-77D)
This site was inactivated 1 June 1961 due to budgetary constraints. Today what was Bartlesville Air Force Station is largely obliterated. It now consists of various residential and commercial establishments.
Air Force units and assignments
- Constituted as the 796th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
- Activated on 1 May 1951
- Discontinued and inactivated on 1 June 1961
- 546th Aircraft Control and Warning Group, 1 May 1951
- 159th Aircraft Control and Warning Group, 4 June 1951
- 33d Air Division, 6 February 1952
- 20th Air Division, 1 March 1956
- Kansas City Air Defense Sector, 1 January 1960 – 1 June 1961
- List of USAF Aerospace Defense Command General Surveillance Radar Stations
- List of United States Air Force aircraft control and warning squadrons
- Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946 - 1980. Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center.
- Winkler, David F.; Webster, Julie L (1997). Searching the skies : the legacy of the United States Cold War defense Radar Program. Champaign, IL: US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories. LCCN 97020912.
- Information for Bartlesville AFS, OK