Barton Hollow (song)
|Single by The Civil Wars|
|from the album Barton Hollow|
|B-side||"You Are My Sunshine"|
|Released||January 10, 2011|
|Format||Music download, 7" single|
|Genre||Folk rock, alternative country, indie folk|
|Writer(s)||John Paul White, Joy Williams|
|The Civil Wars singles chronology|
"Barton Hollow" is the title of a country and indie folk song co-written and recorded by American musicians John Paul White and Joy Williams of the alternative country music group, The Civil Wars. It was released on January 10, 2011 as the second single and title-track to their debut album Barton Hollow. The single did not enter the U.S. Hot 100 but charted on the top spot of the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles. The single's vinyl release had "You Are My Sunshine" as its B-side.
"Barton Hollow" was available for download on January 10, 2011 and was also released on limited edition 7" vinyl. The song's music video was taken in a shoot in a rural location called Mt. Zion, near Minor Hill, Tennessee. As regards the song's title, it refers to the community of Barton, Alabama, a few miles from White's hometown of Muscle Shoals. In an interview with The Sun, White explained that they (he and Williams) "wanted a picturesque name for the place and it was the first thing that popped in [his] head and Joy liked the way it sounded."
The track received positive reviews. Phil Mongredien of The Guardian commented that "the mood of reverie [in the album] is only broken by the raucous, insistent title track." Louis Corner of Digital Spy wrote that the song was "charged with a Deep South strum line", and "[managed] to encompass alternative rock-influences that makes it accessible to any countryphobe."
The song won the Best Country Duo/Group Performance Award at the 54th Grammy Awards in 2012, despite the fact that the song was not sent to country radio. Other nominees in the category include Kelly Clarkson and Jason Aldean, Kenny Chesney featuring Grace Potter, and Thompson Square.
US 7" Vinyl
- "Barton Hollow" [Single Version] - 3:20
- "You Are My Sunshine" - 3:09
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles||1|
- Swift, Jacqui. "I learned from Adele, you can’t outdrink a Brit". The Sun (London). Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "You Are My Sunshine". NIH.gov. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- Mongredien, Phil (4 March 2012). "Civil Wars: Barton Hollow – review". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "The Civil Wars: 'Barton Hollow' - Album review". DigitalSpy.co.uk. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "54th Annual GRAMMY Awards Nominees And Winners". Grammy.com. Retrieved 26 September 2012.