Barts Health NHS Trust
|Barts Health NHS Trust|
|Location||London, United Kingdom|
|Hospital type||NHS trust|
It is the largest NHS Trust in the UK.
Barts Health was formed on 1 April 2012 by the merger of Barts and the London NHS Trust, Newham University Hospital NHS Trust and Whipps Cross University Hospital NHS Trust.
The Trust has the largest Private Finance Initiative contract in the UK a £1bn scheme. Innisfree Ltd, Skanska, Carillion, Synergy Health, Siemens Medical Solutions and Varian Medical Systems are the partners. Paying back that PFI is costing the Trust £115m a year.
In January 2014 a Care Quality Commission inspection found that morale in the Trust was low and that "Too many members of staff of all levels and across all sites came to us to express their concerns about being bullied, and many only agreed to speak to us in confidence."
In September 2014 the local City and Hackney Clinical Commissioning Group complained that they had "significant evidence of failing administrative and support systems, which is reflected strongly and consistently in feedback received from local GPs”. There were concerns about waiting times performance, and levels of clinical harm.
The Trust spent £935,500 on a “turnaround” management consultant, Donald Muir, a director of Titanium Global Solutions who worked at the Trust from October 2013 to July 2014. The Trust spent more than £7m on five consultancy firms in the 14 months to December2015:
- Burnett Re-Engineering, £312,056;
- Cairdeas Consulting, £202,030;
- JAT HR, £252,875;
- PwC, £4,857,833;
- Titanium Global Solutions, £1,376,937
The chief executive, Peter Morris, and chief nurse, Prof Kay Riley, resigned their positions in February 2015, shortly after it was revealed that the Trust reported a £93m deficit.
Barts Health runs six hospitals:
- The London Chest Hospital in Bethnal Green
- Mile End Hospital
- Newham University Hospital
- The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel
- St Bartholomew's Hospital in Smithfield in the City
- Whipps Cross University Hospital
- "When three hospital trusts become one". The Guardian. 3 April 2012. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "Barts Health NHS Trust calls in finance help squad". BBC News. 17 July 2013. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Staff at Barts trust living in fear of bullying, says NHS watchdog". Evening Standard. 14 January 2014. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Commissioners set out 'deep concerns' over East London trust". 2 October 2014. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Barts pays one management consultant £1m". Hospital Dr. 6 October 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Exclusive: Barts Health turnaround consultancy spend revealed". Health Service Journal. 19 January 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Barts Health chief executive and chief nurse resign". Guardian. 19 February 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Our hospitals". Barts Health NHS Trust. Retrieved 27 June 2012.