|• Assamese • Hindi • English|
|• Hinduism • Brahmins •|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Indo-Aryans, Assamese People, Assamese Brahmins, Ahoms, Kalitas|
Barua (Assamese: বৰুৱা; Hindi: बरूवा) which is also spelled as Baruah, Barooah, Baruwa, Baroova, Barooa, Baroowa, Borooah, Boruah, Baroa; is a common Assamese surname. The surname Barua is typically associated with someone who is an Assamese or Asamiya much like Arora or Ahuja would be surnames associated with Punjabis.
In Assam Valley
Originally the title was conferred for most of class of officers in the Ahom kingdom of medieval Assam. The Ahom appointed officers with various title and the title Baruah means a " Leader of 3000 men".
The Baruas / Baruahs / Barooahs of Assam are Hindus by faith and have been a key contributors to the growth of Assamese community. Barua/hs or Barooahs especially of Upper - Assam (esp., Jorhat belt) and also to an extent in Western Assam and Middle/Central-Assam are generally Assamese Brahmins (people having or carrying specific Gotras i.e., proper Brahmin Identity Surnames) or may even be Kayastha representing General Caste. Others would essentially be Ahoms or Kalitas. Most of the Brahmin Baruas would carry middle name/surname such as, Ram, Prasad, Ranjan, Krishnakant, Govind, Chandra amongst others. (See, Assamese Brahmins ) However, it is also common to see other Baruas (non-Brahmins) carrying similar or even the same middle name/surname who would obviously be Hindus but may be Ahoms - (descendants of Ahom Community) or Kalitas, a prominent community of Assam equivalent to Kayastha / Kshatriya caste system.
- Kanaklata Barua: Indian freedom fighter from Assam.
- Birinchi Kumar Barua: (1908-1964) Scholar, educationist, writer, historian, linguist, folklorist.
- Padmanath Gohain Baruah: (1871-1946) was the first president of Asam Sahitya Sabha and a novelist, poet, dramatist, analyst and a though provoking writer.
- Lakshminath Bezbaroa (1868–1938), An Assamese author, essayist, playwright, poet, and satirist.
- Hemchandra Barua (1836-1897), a prominent writer, social reformer of Assamese of the 19th century.
- Hem Barua (1915 – 1977) was a prominent Assamese poet and politician from Assam.
- Hem Barua (Tyagbir) (1893-1945) was an Indian independence activist, social worker and writer from Sonitpur district of Assam.
- Jnanadabhiram Barua (1880-1955) was an notable writer, dramatist, translator of Assam. He also participated in India's freedom struggle.
- Gunabhiram Barua (1837-1894) was an enlightened Assamese intellectual who ushered in new ideas about social reform in the early years of colonial rule in Assam.
- Amulya Barua (1922 -1946) was a pioneer of modern Assamese poetry.
- Chandradhar Barua (1874 - 1961) was an eminent writer, poet, dramatist & lyricist from Assam.
- Kanaklal Barua (1872-1940) was an prominent writer, essayists, historian and politician from Assam who had write mainly in English language.
- Ananda Ram Baruah (1850–1889) - Sanskrit scholar, Sixth Indian Civil Service officer of India, and the first from Assam.
- Ananda Chandra Barua (1907-1983) was an writer, poet, playwright, translator, journalist and actor from Assam.
- Binanda Chandra Barua (1901 - 1994) was a noted Indian writer and poet of Assamese literature
- Jahnu Barua - Internationally acclaimed film-maker.
- Siva Prasad Barooah - Pioneer planter, path-breaker in Assamese journalism, renowned philanthropist, politician and humanist.
- Parvati Prasad Baruva: A famous Assamese music composer, poet, lyricist, dramatist: an icon of Assamese literature.
- Pramathesh Chandra Barua (1903–1951) - a famous actor, director, and screenwriter of Indian films in the pre-independence era.
- Pratima Barua Pandey (1935-2002) - famous folk singer and daughter of Pramathesh Chandra Baruah
- Dev Kant Baruah - President of the Indian National Congress at the time of Indian Emergency (1975–1977)
- Rudra Baruah (1926-1980) as an actor, composer, lyricist, singer and musician.
- Bhubanmohan Baruah (1914 - 1998) was a novelist, short story writer from Assam. He wrote many novels under the pen-name of Kanchan Baruah
- Navakanta Barua - Prominent Assamese novelist and poet.
- Joi Barua - Singer, musician, and lead vocalist from Assam.
- Radha Govinda Baruah: Founder of the Assam Tribune Group and a sports enthusiast a who later introduced Assam to the culture of sports.
- Swargajyoti Barooah: First few Assamese/Indian Film actresses.
- Debo Prasad Barooah: Eminent intellectual, an academician, an author, a historian and the former Vice-Chancellor (the Chief Executive) of Gauhati University.
- Beauty Sharma Barua (1951- ) An Assamese singer.
- Paresh Baruah: the vice-chairperson and the commander-in-chief of the United Liberation Front of Assam (Independent).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to People of Assam.|