|District||South 24 Parganas|
|Elevation||9 m (30 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Jadavpur|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Baruipur Paschim|
Baruipur is located at  It has an average elevation of 9 metres (29 feet)..
°As of 2011[update] India census, Baruipur had a population of 50453. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Baruipur has an average literacy rate of 84%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 52% of the literates being male and 48% being female. 8% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Baruipur is well connected with Roadways and Railways. Buses like CTC, Private Buses, STA Buses are available all the time in Baruipur. Auto-rickshaw also is an important life-line of connectivity. Besides this, Baruipur plays as an important junction in the railway sector. The nearest metro station is Kavi Nazrul is almost 11 km from Baruipur.
New district headquarters
West Bengal government will get back 1,000 acres (4 km²) from the 5,000 acres (20 km²) it is giving to the Salim group for development of a township at Baruipur, the site of the new district headquarters. The proposed Barasat–Raichak expressway will pass through Baruipur.
Baruipur is served by both railways and roadways. The nearest railway station is Baruipur Junction. Also it is about 10;km from E. M bypass in kamalgazi. Mainly 2 private buses ply from baruipur viz. Baruipur-Barasat & 218 and 1 bus of C. T. C ply from Baruipur to Howrah.
There is a Baruipur municipality, which is divided into 17 wards. As of 2011, it is controlled by the Trinamool Congress. Also there is a BLOCK DEVOLOPE OFFICE & Panchyat Samity consisting 19 Gram Panchyat, out of which 18 are controlled by Trinomool Congress. There are one head Post Office, pincode number 700144.
The gajan utsab of Baruipur is famous. According to local legend, there was once a severely contested lathi fight between the lathials of the Sabarna Choudhurys of Barisa and the Roy Choudhurys of Baruipur concerning the boundary dispute of their respective Zamindaris. The Sardar of the lathials of the Sabarna Roy Choudhury was Bhriguram. The lathials of Baruipur managed to cut off his head with a sword and won the fight. However, Bhriguram was so much respected in the area that a lock of his hair was preserved. Bhriguram is still publicly honoured by the exposition of lock during the gajan mela at Baruipur.
Baruipur district hospital is the only provider.
Certain areas of South 24 Parganas district has been identified where ground water is affected by arsenic contamination. High levels of arsenic in ground water was found in 12 blocks of the district. Water samples collected from tubewells in the affected places contained arsenic above the normal level (10 microgram a litre as specified by the World Health Organisation). The affected blocks are Baruipur, Bhangar I, Bhangar II, Bishnupur I, Bishnupur II, Basanti, Budge Budge, Canning I, Canning II, Sonarpur, Mograhat II and Joynagar. 
- Baruipur High School,Madarat Popular Academy, Rashmoni Balika Vidyalaya, hollycross school, welkin national school, padmapukur high school, south centre school,Ishan chandra balika vidyalaya .
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Baruipur
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- The Telegraph, 26 July 2006
- The Statesman 26 January 2007
- Hindu Books
- "Groundwater Arsenic contamination in West Bengal-India (19 years study )". Groundwater arsenic contamination status of North 24-Parganas district, one of the nine arsenic affected districts of West Bengal-India. SOES. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-24.
- "High arsenic levels in South". The Statesman, 24 June 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-09-03.