|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|Born||30 October 1932
|Died||16 July 2013|
|Doctoral advisor||C.C. Davies|
|Notable students||Sumit Sarkar, Sabyasachi Bhattacharya, Suranjan Das|
Barun De (30 October 1932 – 16 July 2013) was an Indian historian. He served as director of the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta and as the honorary state editor for the West Bengal District Gazetteers.
De held various positions at various times, including a professorship in history at the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, the directorship of the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta, the role of honorary state editor for the West Bengal District Gazetteers, the directorship of the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Calcutta. and membership of the Indian Council of Historical Research, New Delhi. He was also chairman of the West Bengal Heritage Commission.
- Secularism at Bay: Uzbekistan at the Turn of the Century (New Delhi, 2006)
- (ed.) State, Development and Political Culture: Bangladesh and India, (New Delhi, 1997) (Co-edited with Ranabir Samaddar)
- (ed.) Mukti Sangrame Banglar Chatra-Samaj (Students of Bengal in the Struggle of Liberation) (in Bengali), (Calcutta: Paschim Banga Itihas Samsad, 1992)
- (ed.) West Bengal District Gazetteers, 24 Parganas, (Calcutta, 1983)
- (ed.) West Bengal District Gazetteers, Darjeeling, (Calcutta, 198?)
- (ed.) Perspectives in Social Sciences, 1: Historical Dimensions (New Delhi, 1977)
- (ed.) Proceedings of the Indian History Congress, (Calcutta: Jadavpur Session, 1974)
- (ed.) Proceedings of the Indian History Congress, (Aligarh: Aligarh Session, 1975)
- (et al. eds.) Essays in Honour of Professor Sushobhan Chandra Sarkar (New Delhi, 1975)
- Freedom Struggle (New Delhi, 1972), (Co-authored with Bipan Chandra and Amalesh Tripathi)
- "Amartya Sen – Autobiography". Nobelprize.org. Retrieved 27 Feb 2014.
- "Bengali Cultural Heritage in the Postcolonial Age". Bengaloralhistory.tufts.edu. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- "Centre for Studies in Social Sciences - Calcutta". Cssscal.org. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- "Discipline and Debate: The Language of Violence in a Tibetan Buddhist Monastery - Michael Lempert - Google Boeken". Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- "Prof Tripathi to be ICHR Chairman". News.outlookindia.com. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- "The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Metro | Time freeze". Telegraphindia.com. 2009-02-22. Retrieved 2013-10-16.
- "Historian Barun De passes away". Hindustan Times. 18 July 2013. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "Historian & scholar Barun De dies at 80". The Times of India. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Calcutta