The hamlet of Rosay
|Intercommunality||Condé en Brie|
|• Mayor (2001–2020)||Jean-Claude Bohain|
|Area1||7.55 km2 (2.92 sq mi)|
|• Density||51/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||02051 / 02850|
|Elevation||62–231 m (203–758 ft)
(avg. 63 m or 207 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Barzy-sur-Marne is located some 15 km east by north-east of Chateau-Thierry and 35 km south-west of Rheims. It can be accessed on the D320 road from Jaulgonne in the west passing through the commune and the village curving south to Passy-sur-Marne. Apart from the village there are two hamlets: Marcilly, and Rosay both located on the D320 road. Some 70% of the commune in the north is heavily forested with the balance consisting of farmland.
The commune lies within the Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) zone for "Champagne of Aisne".
In 1923 the capital of the commune of Barzy-sur-Marne was transferred from Barzy-sur-Marne to the hamlet of Marcilly which became the capital of the commune but this transfer was done without changing the name of the commune following the Decree of 23 October 1923.
List of Successive Mayors of Barzy-sur-Marne
(Not all data is known)
In 2010 the commune had 386 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of municipalities with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Sites and Monuments
The commune has two sites that are registered as historical monuments:
- Other sites of interest
- A Lavoir (Public Laundry)
- An illustration of the fable The Fox and the Stork in the village square at Barzy-sur-Marne
- Barzy-sur-Marne on the old National Geographic Institute website (French)
- Barzy-sur-Marne on the Official website of the Union of the Canton of Condé-en-Brie (French)
- Bell Towers website (French)
- 40000 Bell Towers website (French)
- Barzy-sur-Marne on Lion1906
- Barzy-sur-Marne on Google Maps
- Barzy-sur-Marne on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Barcy on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Barzy-sur-Marne on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002 , the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force in 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Google Maps
- Notice on Barzy-sur-Marne on the Departmental archives of Aisne website (French)
- List of Mayors of France (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA02001299 Chateau Park (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00115518 Church of Saint Eloi (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barzy-sur-Marne.|