|Town of Basalt, Colorado|
|Motto: "The Heart of the Roaring Fork Valley"|
Location in Eagle County and the State of Colorado
|State||State of Colorado|
|Incorporated||August 26, 1901|
|• Type||Statutory Town|
|• Mayor||Jacque Whitsitt|
|• Total||1.9 sq mi (5 km2)|
|• Land||1.9 sq mi (5 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||6,611 ft (2,015 m)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0175038|
|Website||Town of Basalt|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km2), of which, 1.9 square miles (4.9 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (1.03%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,681 people, 1,052 households, and 637 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,394.8 people per square mile (539.1/km²). There were 1,218 housing units at an average density of 633.7 per square mile (244.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 91.53% White, 0.48% African American, 0.52% Native American, 1.27% Asian, 0.11% Pacific Islander, 4.77% from other races, and 1.31% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 11.75% of the population.
There were 1,052 households out of which 34.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.1% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.4% were non-families. 24.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.6% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 42.3% from 25 to 44, 24.4% from 45 to 64, and 3.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 108.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 110.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $67,200, and the median income for a family was $73,375. Males had a median income of $40,791 versus $30,532 for females. The per capita income for the town was $30,746. About 4.9% of families and 6.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.9% of those under age 18 and 6.8% of those age 65 or over.
Basalt is well known for its Gold Medal trout fishing in the Frying Pan River. Ruedi Reservoir is also a popular regional destination for boating and other watersports. Basalt is a hub for mountain biking in the Roaring Fork valley. There are a dozen world class cross country trails as well as lift-accessed downhilling within 15 miles of Basalt, both up and down the valley.
Roaring Fork Transportation Authority provides bus transit in Basalt.
- Wally Dallenbach Jr., NASCAR driver
- Christy Smith, contestant on Survivor: Amazon
- Torin Yater-Wallace freeskier and the youngest person to ever medal at the winter x-games.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-08-27.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-18.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Welcome to Basalt, Colorado". Town of Basalt. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Basalt, Colorado". City-Data.com. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Basalt, Colorado.|
- Basalt Chamber of Commerce website
- Check out what's happening in the Roaring Fork Valley
- Town of Basalt website