Basanta Kishore Sahoo
Basanta Kishore Sahoo (born 15 March 1955) is a research scholar and a children's writer who published his Ph. D thesis on the topic of "Oriya Moukhika Shisu Sahitya." He is an Indian children's writer and research scholar who created his own field. He was born on 15 March 1955, at Kusupur, a famous village in the Mahanga block of Cuttack District of Orissa State where Palikabi Nanda Kishore Bal, Silpiguru Bimbadhar Barma, Kabi Gyanindra Burma, Reporter Rajendra Burma and Suvendra Burma, Editor Pradmyuna Bal and Sishu Sahityika Nanda Kishore Bal were born. His father's name is Bira Kishore Sahoo and mother's name Malli Dei. Now he is working as a Lecturer in Oriya at Aeronautics College, Sunabeda of Koraput District.
He wrote 25 books in Oriya, English, Hindi and Bengali. Phula Ame Phula is his first children's poem collection which was published in 1992. After that his book Agada Bagada Jhainki Jhumpa was published which gave him name and fame. He wrote both criticism and creative books for children as well as scholars of the state in his mother tongue Oriya. He got his Ph.D. in Oriya Moukhika Shisu Sahitya which is also published in book form and popularize him among the scholar and readers because in this thesis he collected the folk songs of Orissa which are fading from memory.
He is married to Smt. Binapani Sahoo. He has a son Gitimaya Sahoo and a daughter, Bulbul Priyadarshini Sahoo.
He also actively participated in the development the Oriya Children's Literature through the Research Institute for Oriya Children's Literature, (RIOCL) which was established by Dr. Manindra Mohanty, the first scholar of Oriya children's literature and his guide, who said:
- "He get the full support from his wife Binapani Sahoo and two children's to do something for the Oriya literature and language."
He also edited a children's magazine called Bagalabaguli from 1981 to 1985. He is the founder secretary of Banaphula Sahitya Parishad, Sunabeda and Oriya Lekhaka Pathaka Sammelan Semiliguda for the development of Oriya Literature in the Koraput district.
He started his profession career as instructor in Secretarial Practice and Hadidas Mahavidyalay, Chhatia as well as Aeronautics college Sunabeda. Now he is working as a Lect. In Oriya at Aeronautics College, Sunabeda. He has guided doctoral research and also published many research articles in various research journals of Orissa.
He is a member of many organization in Orissa including the Research Institute of Oriya Children's Literature (RIOCL), AIJLC, Calcutta, Banaphula Sahitya Parishad, Sunabeda, Oriya Lekhaka Pathaka Sammelan, Semiliguda, Oriya Gabesana Parishad, Cuttack, Utkal Sahitya Samaj, Cuttack, Banaprabha Sahitya Parishad, Sunabeda and many more organization of the state of Orissa. Two no of books were published namele "BASANTA BAIVABA" AND "BASANTA KISHORENKA SHRUSTI O SAMIKHYA" edited by Sarala Behera and published by Banaprava Sahitya Sansad and Padma Prakasani. On these two books 144 nos toted wrters and critics written on him and his contribution to Oriya Literature and Oriya Children's Literature.
Selected writing in children's literature
- Phula Ame Phula 1992
- Agada Bagada Jhainki Jhumpa 1997
- Kalia Balada Galare Gala 2000
- Marinele Mohapatra 2000
- Uduuduma 2003
- Gachha Ama Jebana 2003
- Inchidi Minchidi 2003
- Aei Matira Manisha 2004
- Aainsi Mantara Kainsi Mantra 2004
- Gai Dia Pade Gita 2008
- Khara Barasa Gita 2008
- Biluananara Banabhoji 2008
- Hata Deba Bhala Kame 2009
- Basanta Kishore Rachanabali-I 2009
- Basanta Kishore Rachanabali-II 2012
Criticism and Alochana
- Oriya Sishu Sahitya Alochana, 1994
- Oriya Moukhika Sishu Sahitya (Ph.D. Thesis), 1996
- Sampratika Shisu Sahitya O Sahityika, 2000
- Oriya Shisu Sahityara Sahayak Pathyasuchi, 2002
- Koraputra Parba Parbani 2005
- Koraputra Lokakatha 2005
- Ama Koraput 2005
- Koraput Parikrama (Edited) 1992
- Odishara Lokanatya (Edited) 1993
- Sampratika Shisu Sahitya (Edited) 2000
- Manindra Abhinandan Grantha (Edited) 2004
- Saraswata Sadhaka Dr. Jagannath Mohanty 2007
- Nanda Kishore Rachanabali 2007
- Kahaku Kahiba 2003
Books in other languages
- Bhaita Bhai 2003
- Ekati Chand Aneka Tare 2004
- Who's Who in Oriya Children's Literature, Vol. I, 1995
- Drops of Nectar (Children's Poem) 1998
Books on Dr Basanta Kishore Sahoo
- BASANTA BAIBHABA, Edited by Sarala Behera
- Basanta Kishorenka Shrusti O Samikhya, Edited by Sarala Behera
Edited other books and magazines
||This article may contain excessive, poor, or irrelevant examples. (February 2011)|
Dr Sahoo edited a quarterly children's magazine in the year 1981 which was published since 1984 regularly from Kusupur, Cuttack. He also edited 8 volumes of Banaphula which consists of stories and poems the yearly magazine of Banaphula Sahitya Parishad Sunabeda. When he came to Sunabeda, in the year 1984, there is literary activities in the township. He framed a Literary Organization namely Banaphula Sahitya Parishad with other person. After that Oriya Lekhaka Pathaka Samelen was also established with the help Social worker and Bhudan Karmi Krushna Singh.
- Bagala Baguli (20 issues): 1981-1985
- Banaphula –I to 8 (8 volumes): 1986-96
- Banaprava- I to 5, ( including Desatmabodhaka Kabita Samkalan, Sishu Kabita Samkalan & Jagannath Satak)
- Aeronautica (Aeronautics College Magazine)-VII (1987-88 ), XI (1991–92), XVII (1997–98), XIX (1999-2000), XXI (2002–03), XIV- (2004–05), XV (2005–06), XVI- (2006–07), XVII & XVIII (2008–09),XXX (2012)
- Koraput Parikrama (Poems) 1994
- Panchapakhuda (Collection of children's Poems): 1992
- Deshatmabodhaka Kabita Samkalan: 1992
- Bhagirathi Smaranika: 2004
- Swarnakhetra- 2006, 2007, 2008, Khetra Bisesanka- 2009, Bhakta Bisesanka- 2010, Besha Bisesanka- 2011, Parbaparbani Bisesanka- 2012, Khetra Bisesanka(2)-2013
- Smaranika: Swatantra Utkal Bisesanka- 2003, Krushna Chandra Gajapati Bisesanka- 2007, Utkal Gouraba Bisesanka- 2008, Fakirmohan Bisesanka- 2009, Gopabandhu Bisesanka- 2010, Gangadhar Bisesanka- 2011, Sunabeda Bisesanka- 2012, Koraput Bisesanka-2013
- Dr. Basanta Kishore Sahoo M. A., Ph.D. at Research Institute of Oriya Children's Literature