|Description||Awarded for contributions towards social reform and social change.|
|Awarded by||Government of Karnataka|
|Cash award||Rs. 1 million|
|First awardee(s)||Saraswathi Gora|
|Last awardee(s)||[Medha Patkar]|
|None ← Basava Puraskara →|
Basava Puraskara is an award conferred by the Government of Karnataka. The award is presented on the basis of an individuals contribution for social reforms and social change and work for bringing about religious harmony.
The Basava Puraskara is a national award. The award comprises Rs. 1 million, a memento and a citation.
|S.No||Name||Birth / death||Awarded||Notes|
|1.||Mrs.Saraswathi Gora||1912 - 2006||2000||Social worker, humanist, crusader for social equality from Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. Co-Founder of the Atheist Centre.|
|2.||Dr. H. Narasimhaiah||1921 - 2005||2001||Noted Gandhian, rationalist, freedom fighter, physicist and former Vice-Chancellor of Bangalore University from Karnataka.|
|3.||Prof. L. Basavaraju||b. 1919||2005||Professor and Writer|
|4.||President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam||b. 1931||2006||Scientist, Former President of India|
|5.||Sri Shivakumar Swamiji||b. 1907||2007||Pontiff of the Siddaganga Matha|
Medha Patkar was awarded this prestigious award in 2010 for excellence in service in the social sector, which she later rejected citing Karnataka government's inability to take action on the mining scam and resolve the Lokayukta controversy.
- "Saraswathi Gora selected for Basava Puraskar". The Hindu.com. Hindu. Retrieved 2 November 2008.
- "Basava Award presentation tomorrow". The Hindu.com. Hindu. Retrieved 2 November 2008.
- "Basava Puraskar 2005 given away to Basavaraju". The Hindu.com (Chennai, India: Hindu). 1 May 2006. Archived from the original on 27 September 2008. Retrieved 2 November 2008.
- "Basava Award for Kalam". The Hindu.com (Chennai, India: Hindu). 25 August 2007. Retrieved 2 November 2008.
- "Basava Puraskar for Siddaganga swami". The Hindu.com (Chennai, India: Hindu). 1 October 2008. Archived from the original on 4 October 2008. Retrieved 2 November 2008.