He is known for his jazz harmonies, Arabo Nubian melodies and traditional rhythms plus his subtle improvisation. He is one of the most recommended Egyptian music experts in Europe with his long experience as an oud soloist and as a music consultant for televisions, movies and dramas. Darwisch moved to Germany in 1990 to study Egyptology and ethnology at the University of Heidelberg. During his studies in Germany, he became famous in world music and on the jazz scene. Later he established the band Cairo Steps together with the famous German pianist Matthias Frey.
He worked with Günter Grass, the German Nobel prize winner in Literature - and with David Orlowsky - Trio Echo prize holder in Opera Frankfurt - Germany. He was chosen by the Austrian conductor Huber to co-operate with the German WDR Choir to perform at Cairo Opera House.
Basem was a member of the Egyptian folklore musicians D'u Nil, Rayes Mitqāl El-Qinawī 1990 and the Nubian/Sudanese band Salamat with Salma, Abdel Radī then later Nubian Star with Mohamed Mounir, the Egyptian band Rahalah with Hussam Shakir and Sharkiat with the Grammy winner Fathy Salama.
He worked as a Consultant and a music expert for the German music software company STEINBERG/wizoo for the production of the VST program Darbuka. 'Lothar Krell - Mohamed Zaki / Suat Borazan)
He has also worked as a music consultant for the Arabic News TV channel Al Jazeera 2004 ( Stefan Kahles & Christopher Blaser )
The historical events of the revolution in Egypt added another edge to his music and inspired him to use his music to express the changes and hope for a better future for Egypt.
His goal for concerts & productions is to be used in promoting Egypt and its rich culture around the world.
Basem has played oud in more than 20 CDs & 10 movies and musicals.
- Salam Delta Nubian Salamt & Musiciens de Nil Raiis Metqâl El Qenawi 1995 http://www.piranhashop.de/salamat/salam_delta/oriental/2250/en
- Love Letter Mahmoud Fadl Samy el Bably on TrumpetOrienta 1998 http://www.piranha.de/english/piranha_musik_verlag/mahmoud_fadl/love_letter_from_king
- Voyage Oriental 2004 http://www.matthias-frey.com/discographie.html
- Bazaar Oriental 2008 http://www.matthias-frey.com/discographie.html
- Cairo Steps 2009 https://itunes.apple.com/de/album/oud-lounge-cairo-steps/id511986937
- Estaiqezy Maher Fayez 2010 https://itunes.apple.com/de/album/estaiqezy/id505611304
- Osabehoka Maher fayez 2011 https://itunes.apple.com/de/album/osabehoka/id505729635
- Musiker ohne Grenzen 2012 http://www.matthias-frey.com/discographie.html
- Tarnima Gadida Fadia Bazzi 2013 https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/trnymt-jdydt-tarnima-gadida/id805522879
- Invitation Fadia Bazzi 2014 https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/invitation/id806193096
- Ya Rab Naser Musa 2014 https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/ya-rab/id894239234
- Arabiskan Cairo Steps 2015 https://soundcloud.com/cairo-steps
Fady Gwanny http://www.gwannian.com/
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2012)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Basem Darwisch.|
- Basem Darwisch website
- YouTube Channel
- Reviews (Frankfurter Rundschau, Main Echo) (German)
- An Vielfalt kaum zu überbieten (Lauterbacher Anzeiger) (German)
- Instrumentaler Tanz der Derwische (Main-Netz) (German)
- oudfreunde.de (German)
- Shmuel Kedi und Basem Darwisch in der Brotfabrik (Die Fabrik) (German)
- Musik der Welt: Basem Darwisch Ensemble (kultur.lich.de) (German)
- Musik aus Ägypten am Sonntag in Lich (Gießener Anzeiger) (German)