|Traded as||MCX: BANE|
|Industry||Oil and gas industry|
|Nikolay Grakhantsev, (CEO)|
|Revenue||US$ 16.3 billion (2012)|
|US$ 1.7 billion (2012)|
|Owner||Majority interest in the Russian Federal Agency for State Property Management|
Number of employees
|Parent||Government of Russia|
Bashneft is a Russian oil company formed by the transfer of the oil related assets of the Soviet oil ministry in Bashkortostan to the regional government of the Republic of Bashkortostan by Boris Yeltsin. It was then privatized during 2002-3 by Murtaza Rakhimov, the boss of Bashkortostan, a crony of Yeltsin's, with a controlling interest in Bashkir Capital, a holding company controlled by Rakhimov's son, Ural Rakhimov. In 2009 a controlling interest in Bashneft was acquired for $2 billion by Vladimir P. Yevtushenkov and placed in his holding company, Sistema, but in July 2014 he was jailed and 72% of Sistema's interest in Bashnoft seized by the Russian government. Following seizure of the company in December 2014 Yevtushenkov was released from jail, "charges not proven," but Ural Rakhimov was reported to have fled the country. It is one of the largest producer of oil products in the country. The company operates 140 oil and natural gas fields in Russia and has an annual oil production of 16 million tonnes. Bashneft owns three oil refineries located in Ufa with a combined capacity of 820,000 bbl/d (130,000 m3/d) and 100 petrol stations.
In March 2014, Bashneft acquired a 100% stake in Russian oil firm Burneftegaz in a deal totalling more than $1 billion.
- Natasha Doff and Ksenia Galouchko (December 18, 2014). "Sistema Shares Soar as Putin Says Evtushenkov Charges Not Proven" (Bloomberg Business News). Bloomberg News. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
Russia has seized 71.6 percent of OAO Bashneft from Sistema since ordering Evtushenkov’s arrest on Sept. 16 in a money-laundering investigation linked to the state’s sale of the oil company in the previous decade.
- "Bashneft is notified of a change of a majority shareholder" (PRESS RELEASE). http://www.bashneft.com. Bashneft. December 10, 2014. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
According to the notification, 122,971,934 ordinary shares and 6,192,245 preferred shares of JSOC Bashneft (71.62% of its authorized share capital) have been transferred from the accounts of OJSC JSFC Sistema and CJSC Sistema-Invest to the account of the Federal Agency for State Property Management.
- Steven Lee Myersand Jo Becker (December 26, 2014). "Even Loyalty No Guarantee Against Putin". The New York Times (The Times Company). Retrieved December 27, 2014.
Mr. Rakhimov’s government privatized Bashneft, with most of its shares ending up in the hands of a company called Bashkir Capital
- "Products". bashedu.ru. Archived from the original on 26 September 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- "Sistema takes controlling stake in Bashneft for $2.5 billion". russiatoday.com. 2009-03-30. Retrieved 2009-09-08. dead link as of 12-26-2014
- Bashneft acquires oil producer Burneftegaz, International: Hydrocarbons-Technology.com, 2014