Rhythm & Sound performing at MUTEK in 2007
|Also known as||Rhythm & Sound
Round One to Round Five
Paul St. Hilaire
Moritz Von Oswald
The duo originally released a number of vinyl-only tracks under various aliases, each of which employed their signature brand of minimal techno. The original nine releases were each primarily identified as Basic Channel productions by their catalogue numbers, as the Basic Channel logo on the label became more distorted and unreadable with each subsequent release.
The duo set up a studio in Berlin on Paul-Lincke-Ufer, in a building which was eventually to house Mark Ernestus’ distributing company and shop Hard Wax, and the label's mastering studio Dubplates & Mastering, set up to ensure a desired dynamic quality for the vinyl.
The Basic Channel imprint ceased business in 1995 (apart from two releases almost a decade later that were originally issued on Carl Craig's Planet E label), but were followed by a string of similar labels. Main Street handled Chicago house-inspired releases; Chain Reaction released non-Von Oswald/Ernestus productions and helped launch the careers of dub techno producers such as Monolake and Porter Ricks.
Basic Channel has also shown a strong affinity for Jamaican music. The Rhythm & Sound label imprint saw the duo's sound move closer to dub reggae. Frequent Rhythm & Sound collaborator Paul St. Hilaire set up the subsidiary False Tuned in 2003.
Basic Channel occasionally reissues out-of-print music. Basic Replay specializes in dancehall reissues, while Wackies focuses on dub.
- Cyrus Enforcement (BC-01, 1993)
- Phylyps Trak (BC-02, 1993)
- Vainqueur Lyot (Reshape) (BC-03, 1993)
- Quadrant Q 1.1 (BC-04, 1993)
- Cyrus Inversion (BC-05, 1994)
- Quadrant Dub (BC-06, 1994)
- Basic Channel Octagon / Octaedre (BC-07, 1994)
- Radiance I / II / III (BC-08, 1994)
- Phylyps Trak II (BC-09, 1994)
- Basic Channel BCD (BCD, 1995)
- Paperclip People Basic Reshape (BCBR, 2004)
- Quadrant Infinition/Hyperism (BCQD, 2004)
- Basic Channel BCD-2 (BCD-2, 2008)
- Basic Channel Q-Loop (BC-CD, 2014)
- Rhythm & Sound w/ Paul St. Hilaire Showcase CD (BMD-1, 1996)
- Rhythm & Sound w/ The Artists Rhythm & Sound w/ The Artists CD (BMD-2, 2003)
- Rhythm & Sound The Versions CD (BMD-3, 2003)
- Rhythm & Sound See Mi Ya 7" box set (BMD-14-20, 2005)
- Rhythm & Sound See Mi Ya CD (BMD-4, 2005)
- Rhythm & Sound See Mi Ya Remixes CD (BMXD-1, 2006)
- Various ...Compiled (Chain Reaction, CRD-06, 1998)
- Round One - Round Five 1993-99 Main Street Records (Main Street Records, MSD-01, 1999)
- Scion Scion Arrange And Process Basic Channel Tracks (Tresor, Tresor 200, 2002)
- Maurizio M Series (Maurizio, MCD, 2003)
- Various Basic Replay (Basic Replay, BR-1, 2007)