|Episode no.||Season 1
|Directed by||Ken Whittingham|
|Written by||Karey Dornetto|
|Original air date||March 11, 2010|
|List of Community episodes|
During Family Day at Greendale, Pierce (Chevy Chase) tries to re-connect with his step-daughter Amber (guest star Katharine McPhee) who becomes attracted to Jeff (Joel McHale). Britta (Gillian Jacobs) gets spanked with a switch by Troy's Nana and Shirley's sons cause havoc for Abed's father (Iqbal Theba.)
Around 4.7 million Americans watched "Basic Genealogy".
Todd VanDerWerff of The A.V. Club was disappointed in the episode and rated it a B. He said that this was the"first week where the sentimental moments and the hugging and the 'You can be a good person, Jeff Winger!' pep talks felt like they sort of overwhelmed some of the other elements of the show that I typically enjoy" and singled out guest star Katherine McPhee for an inconsistent performance. 
- Gorman, Bill (March 12,2010). "TV Ratings: American Idol Leads Fox Win; Marriage Ref Loses Yardage". Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- VanDerWerff, Todd (March 12, 2010). "Basic Genealogy"". The A.V. Club. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- "Basic Genealogy" at NBC.com
- "Basic Genealogy" at the Internet Movie Database
- "Basic Genealogy" at TV.com
- "Basic Genealogy" at TV Tropes