Basic Shape are an Australian indie/pop/folk band based in Melbourne.
Their debut album Boat Without A Sail was released in April 2008 and was Album of The Week on ABC Tasmania. The album was recorded over three years at Audrey Studios and engineered and co-produced by Craig Pilkington from The Killjoys. The first single of the album White Skin also achieved play on several ABC radio stations around Australia. It was also Single Of The Week in Melbourne's Beat Magazine. The band are distributed through Green/MGM throughout Australia.
Basic Shape is based primarily on the songwriting partnership of guitarist Mick Carney and singer Gerry Eeman. The band was formed by accident in September 2002 when lead singer Gerry Eeman was offered a gig for his 'band' at Melbourne live music venue Bar Open in five days time. The band didn't actually exist so he then scrambled a few of his friends from Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE music program to play the show with him and these friends became the first line-up of the band.
- Gerry Eeman (also in The Guild League)
- Mick Carney
- Rob Callea
- John Beddoe
- Boat Without A Sail (2008)
- White Skin (2008)
- Rainy Day (2008)
- Beat Magazine, Melbourne, Issue 1099, 23 January 2008
- The Canberra Times, Canberra, 24 April 2008
- The Post, Newcastle, 30 January 2008
- NMIT website, Basic Shape testimonial, accessed 18 August 2009
- The Place, Townsville, Issue 1 December 2008 edition