Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust provides healthcare for people in the south west Essex, in the East of England. There are two hospitals in the trust, a specialist cardiothoracic centre and one clinical centre: Basildon Hospital, Orsett Hospital, The Essex Cardiothoracic Centre  and Billericay St. Andrew's Centre. It became a Foundation Trust in 2004.
The trust had a 3 star rating in 2006  and in 2005 its budget was £146 million and it treated 55,000 patients. In 2013/14 the Trust budget was £288 million and it treated 77,500 inpatients and day cases, 300,000 outpatients and 103,000 A&E consultations.  The Trust uses the Single Transferable Vote voting system to elect its Council of Governors.
In November 2009, the Care Quality Commission found some places in Basildon Hospital to have stained floors and curtains, blood-splattered trays, badly soiled mattresses, equipment still used after the use-by date, and so on. The CQC have said they are going to send an "expert taskforce" into the hospital, to improve the cleanliness and drive rapid improvements in patient care. The latest CQC inspection of Basildon Hospital in March 2014 found significant improvements. Services were described as effective, caring, responsive and well-led with seven out of eight areas rated as good or outstanding. 
On 28 March 2012, Ian Luder was announced as the new chair of the Trust. He took up the post on 1 July that year. In January 2015 he stepped down after being selected as the UKIP candidate for South Basildon and East Thurrock
In July 2013 as a result of the Keogh Review the Trust was put into special measures by Monitor In October 2013 the Trust was put into the highest risk category by the Care Quality Commission. It was put into a buddying arrangement with Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust. In June 2014 it was the first trust to come out of special measures after what the health secretary described as a “remarkable turnaround”.
A joint pathology venture with Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and Integrated Pathology Partnerships was set up in August 2014. A new laboratory will be built at laboratory at Dobson House, in Bentalls, Basildon.
- Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Star Rating Information - NHS in England. Accessed 22 September 2006
- NHS Foundation Trusts using STV - STV Action. Accessed 26 July 2009
-  - BBC News, retrieved 11-26-2009.
- "Ian Luder new UKIP candidate for South Basildon and East Thurrock". BBC News. 14 January 2015. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- "Keogh review: Hospital death rates". BBC News. 16 July 2013. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- "NHS Trusts put in risk categories - full list". Independent. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- "‘Buddy’ trusts could double their money under bonus scheme". Health Service Journal. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Basildon removed from special measures" (9 June 2014). Health Service Journal. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Deal signed to keep pathology services local". Southend Standard. 29 August 2014. Retrieved 29 September 2014.