Basilica di Sant'Anastasia al Palatino
Santa Anastasia was built in the late 3rd century - early 4th century, possibly by a Roman woman named Anastasia. The church is listed under the titulus Anastasiae in the acts of the 499 synod. Later the church was entitled to the martyr with the same name, Anastasia of Sirmium.
The church was restored several times: Pope Damasus I (366-383), Pope Hilarius (461-468), Pope John VII (705-707), Pope Leo III (795-816), and Pope Gregory IV (827-844). The current church dates back to the 17th century restoration commissioned by Pope Urban VII.
Titular Cardinal Priests
- Jordi d'Ornós (1437–????), schismatic
- Luigi Oreglia di Santo Stefano (16 January 1874 – 24 March 1884)
- Carlo Laurenzi, Auxiliary Bishop of Perugia and Titular Bishop of Amathus in Palaestina (1884–1893)
- Andrea Carlo Ferrari, Archbishop of Milan (1894–1921)
- Michael von Faulhaber, Archbishop of Munich und Freising (1921–1952)
- James Francis McIntyre, Archbishop Emeritus of Los Angeles (1953–1979)
- Godfried Danneels, Archbishop Emeritus of Mechelen-Brussels (1983–)
Art and architecture
The last restoration, after the restoration during the papacy of Sixtus IV, occurred in 1636, when the facade, with lower doric and upper ionic order, was reconstructed in 1636, after the cyclone of 1634. The nave recycles antique columns. The ceiling is frescoed with a martyrdom of the saints (1722) by Michelangelo Cerruti.
The chapel to the right, has a painting of St. John the Baptist by Pier Francesco Mola. While the last chapel on the right has a fresco of Scenes of the life of Saints Carlo Borromeo and Filippo Neri by Lazzaro Baldi. The right transept has a painting of S.Toribio (1726) by Francesco Trevisani. The high altar has a Nativity by Lazzaro Baldi and below the altar is a statue of Saint Anastasia by Ercole Ferrata. It clearly shows the influence of Bernini's Beata Ludovica Albertoni. The left transept has a Madonna of the Rosary by Baldi. The last chapel to the left, by Domenichino depicts a St. Jerome. The other chapel has a Ss.Giorgio e Publio by Etienne Parrocel.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Basilica di Sant'Anastasia al Palatino (Rome).|