Bassett Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
|Bassett Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||182.2 sq mi (471.8 km2)|
|• Land||174.5 sq mi (452.0 km2)|
|• Water||7.6 sq mi (19.8 km2)|
|Elevation||1,670 ft (509 m)|
|• Density||0.23/sq mi (0.087/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0663519|
County Road 16 runs east–west along Bassett Township's southern boundary line with adjacent Fairbanks Township. County Road 110 runs north–south through the western portion of Bassett Township; the roadway continues north–northwest to Hoyt Lakes.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 182.2 square miles (472 km2); 174.5 square miles (452 km2) is land and 7.6 square miles (20 km2), or 4.19%, is water.
Bassett Township is the largest organized township in land area in Saint Louis County.
The North Branch of the Whiteface River flows through the south–central and southeast portions of Bassett Township.
Creeks that flow through the township include Shiver, Reno, Jenkins, Apple, Toimi, Petrel, Nelson, Store, Laird, Stone, Butterball, Cranberry, and Colvin.
Pine Lake, Cadotte Lake, and Bassett Lake are all partially located within Bassett Township. Lakes within the township include Seven Beaver Lake, Big Lake, Round Lake, and Stone Lake.
Adjacent townships, cities, and communities
The following are adjacent to Bassett Township:
- Fairbanks Township (south)
- The unincorporated community of Fairbanks (south)
- Linwood Lake Unorganized Territory (southwest)
- Hush Lake Unorganized Territory (west)
- The city of Hoyt Lakes (west and northwest)
- The city of Babbitt (north)
- Stony River Township of Lake County (northeast)
- Lake No. 2 Unorganized Territory of Lake County (east)
As of the census of 2000, there were 55 people, 25 households, and 19 families residing in the township. The population density was 0.3 people per square mile (0.1/km²). There were 89 housing units at an average density of 0.5/sq mi (0.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 94.55% White and 5.45% Native American.
There were 25 households out of which 36.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.0% were married couples living together, 8.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.0% were non-families. 20.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.20 and the average family size was 2.47.
In the township the population was spread out with 20.0% under the age of 18, 3.6% from 18 to 24, 34.5% from 25 to 44, 30.9% from 45 to 64, and 10.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 96.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 109.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $32,500, and the median income for a family was $31,875. Males had a median income of $47,083 versus $31,250 for females. The per capita income for the township was $24,879. There were 20.0% of families and 14.9% of the population living below the poverty line, including 30.0% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Bassett township, St. Louis County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Archived from the original on 26 July 2011. Retrieved August 24, 2011.