Bassmint Productions was a hybrid of members of two separate hip hop groups that existed simultaneously, each including one of two twin brothers:
- Hype-n-Effect, fronted by producer/emcee Manix (Michael Joseph Ruby) and D.J.Stezo (Steve Mackiewicz),
- New Jacks, fronted by emcee Double M. (Marshall Bruce Mathers lll) and D.J.Butter Fingers (Mathew Adam Ruby),
both only lasted from 1988 to 1989.
In the late fall of 1989, both groups dissolved to form Bassmint Productions, which was dually fronted by Double M who became M&M, Chaos Kid, Manix and DJ Butter Fingers. Stezo remained a sort of auxiliary member, with the addition of another skilled emcee in his own right, Vitamin C.(Jason Fields) They released a few homemade/handmade demo tapes, including Steppin' onto the Scene, two solo E.P.'s by Chaos Kid and M&M respectively. Bassmint became regular favorites of Lisa Lisa's open mic nite on 96.3 WHYT almost every Friday night for 3 years. During this time, another member was added, an emcee named Maximum (DeShaun Holton). Shortly afterwards, in the early winter of 1992, Soul Intent was formed.
Recording enough songs for an album between that time and fall of 1994, they had to settle on two of the best of the bunch because of lack of funds and hard times for three of the four members, they were only able to scrape enough together to put out a maxi cassette, the self titled Soul Intent, the two songs being "F#@ing backstabber" and "Biterphobia". Chaos Kid is not on either song. He was pursuing his own solo effort, though still very much an equal and integral member. The only other emcee on that single is Proof (formerly Maximum).
- Double M./M&M/Eminem (Marshall Bruce Mathers III) Emcee
- Manix (Michael Joseph Ruby) Emcee/Super producer
- D.J.Butter Fingers/ Butteh Fingiz (Mathew Adam Ruby) D.J./part time producer
- Dr.Deel/Chaos Kid (James Deel) Emcee
- D.J.Stezo(Steve Mackiewicz) D.J.
- Vitamin C. (Jason Fields) Emcee
- Maximum/Proof (DeShaun Holton) Emcee