|The Bastard Noise|
Live on 6/23/2010 in Raleigh, NC
|Also known as||Charred Remains, Man Is The Bastard, The Bastard Noise|
|Genres||Powerviolence, power electronics, noisecore, ambient|
|Associated acts||The Locust, Merzbow, Hermit, Spastic Colon, Government Alpha, Hospital, Guilty Connector, Unicorn, Christian Renou, Chaos As Shelter, T.E.F., The Endless Blockade, ACTUARY, Personasnongratas, Bizarre Uproar, Amps For Christ, The Gerogerigegege, Krachgau, Pain Jerk, Capitalist Casualties, Molten Salt Breeder Reactor,|
|Members||Eric Wood, Aimee Artz|
|Past members||Henry Barnes, Danny Walker, Joel Connell, W.T. Nelson, John Wiese|
The Bastard Noise is an American band founded in 1991.
Project personnel and past contributors
Project Members are Eric Wood - Bass, Electronics, Vocals, Lyrics (Female Skitzoid, Crypt Orchid, Powertrip, Peace Corpse, Pillsbury Hardcore, Pissed Happy Children, Cyclops, Neanderthal, Man is the Bastard, Crossed Out, Giant Robot, Amber Asylum). Aimee Artz-vocals/electronics (Asterodia, Progeria), Jesse Appelhans-drums (Crom, Upsilon Acrux)
There are a number of notable contributors, & collaborators. Among them are Masami Akita, Joel Connell, Henry Barnes, Keiji Haino, Outermost, Gerritt, Guilty Connector, Josh "Ovalteen" Lewis, Justin Pearson, Jay Randall, John Wiese, & Koji Tano.
Unique sound and instrumentation
Although The Bastard Noise utilizes many instruments, the project has come to be known and recognized by the idiosyncratic sound of their purpose-crafted gear unique to the project. Electro-acoustic devices such as "the Coil", controllers such as joysticks repurposed from broken arcade games and a vast array of high and low voltage analog audio generators were invented, engineered and hand-built by Henry Barnes (who builds as Amps for Christ and Guitars For Christ) and W. T. Nelson (who builds for Trogotronic) specifically for The Bastard Noise lending to the projects' distinctive sound. Recently the project has come full circle to the roots of where it began with a return to a powerviolence/progressive repertoire and traditional instrumentation such as amplified bass guitar, keys and drums. As of September 2010 W.T. Nelson is no longer in the group. Joel Connell was replaced in early 2012.
The Bastard Noise project has documented its work inside the recording studio, on stage and even in the kitchen with well over 100 recordings issued. Many of these were self-released, the rest were issued by select underground (and occasionally above-ground) worldwide labels such as Alien8, Deep Six, Gravity, Ground Fault Recordings, Hear More!, Helicopter Records, Housepig, Kitty Play, MSBR Records, Relapse, Thumbprint Press, Triage and Vermiform.
- (1993) U.N.D. / Bizarre Uproar / Bastard Noise (Self-Released) 3-way split 12" LP
- (1996) Merzbow / Bastard Noise: Voice Pie (Relapse Records) compact disc split album
- (1996) The Gerogerigegege / Bastard Noise: compact disc split album
- (1998) Bastard Noise / Spastic Colon: split album
- (1998) Bastard Noise: If It Be Not True (Vermiform) compact disc album
- (2000) Bastard Noise / Hospital: (Noisebludgeon) compact disc split album
- (2000) Bastard Noise: Skullwave (Helicopter) compact disc album
- (2005) Bastard Noise: The Analysis of Self-Destruction (Alien8) compact disc album
- (2007) Bastard Noise + Antennacle: collaborative 7" (Kitty Play)
- (2007) Bastard Noise / Amps For Christ / Unicorn / Antennacle / Sleestak / Hierophant: No Skull Left Unturned (Hear More!/200 mg) compact disc Three CD Multi-Split Album, Books and other materials
- (2009) Bastard Noise: Our Earth's Blood IV (Cathartic Process) Five CD box-set.
- (2009) The Bastard Noise: Atmoskull CD (Thumbprint Press)
- (2010) The Bastard Noise/The Endless Blockade: The Red List split 12" LP (Deep Six) and compact disc split (20 Buck Spin)
- (2010) The Bastard Noise: A Culture of Monsters Full-Sized Gatefold 12" LP (Deep Six) and Mini Baby Gatefold CD (Deep Six/Hear More!/Housepig)
- (2011) The Bastard Noise: Skulldozer 12" LP and CD (Deep Six)
- (2012) Bastard Noise: Galactic Sanitarium 10" LP
- Kopish, Brian (2007). No Skull Left Unturned. Hear More! Records & 200MG.