Bastia – Poretta Airport
|Bastia – Poretta Airport
Aéroport de Bastia Poretta
|IATA: BIA – ICAO: LFKB|
|Operator||CCI de Bastia et Haute-Corse|
|Serves||Bastia, Corsica, France|
|Elevation AMSL||26 ft / 8 m|
Corse region in France
|Source: French AIP|
Bastia – Poretta Airport (French: Aéroport de Bastia Poretta, IATA: BIA, ICAO: LFKB) is an airport serving Bastia on the island of Corsica. It is located 17 km (11 mi) south southeast of Bastia in Lucciana, both communes of the Haute-Corse département in France.
Airlines and destinations
World War II
In 1944, during World War II, the airport was used by the United States Army Air Forces Twelfth Air Force. On 31 July 1944, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, the legendary French pilot, took off from this airport and disappeared, on a reconnaissance flight over France in a Lockheed P-38 Lightning.
USAAF combat units assigned:[clarification needed]
- 414th Night Fighter Squadron, (Twelfth Air Force), 5 February–July 1944; 5 September – 13 October 1944, Bristol Beaufighter
- 416th Night Fighter Squadron, (Twelfth Air Force), 14–23 August 1944, P-61 Black Widow
- 417th Night Fighter Squadron, (Twelfth Air Force), February–April 1944; 25 April – 7 September 1944, Bristol Beaufighter
- 5th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, (3d Reconnaissance Group), 11 July – 24 September 1944, P-38/F-5 Lightning
- 23d Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, (3d Reconnaissance Group), 11 July – 24 September 1944, P-38/F-5 Lightning
- 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, (XII Tactical Air Command), 21 July – 27 August 1944, P-51/F-6 Mustang
- 42d Bombardment Wing was headquartered at the airfield, 21 September – 24 November 1944.
- PDF). AIP from French Service d'information aéronautique, effective 6 Mar 2014. (
- BMI Regional S13 Charter for Corsican Holidays
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.
- Media related to Bastia Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Bastia Airport (official site) (English)
- Aéroport de Bastia-Poretta at Union des Aéroports Français (French)
- Current weather for LFKB at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for BIA at Aviation Safety Network