Batallón Vasco Español
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2008)|
The BVE employed violence mainly against Basque separatist groups.
With the change of government in Madrid, from the post-Francoist center-right Union of the Democratic Centre (UCD) to the center-left Spanish Socialist Workers' Party (PSOE) in 1982, the BVE vanished but a similar group, the Grupos Antiterroristas de Liberación (GAL) took its place.
Killings attributed to the BVE
- This list may be incomplete, because many of their attacks were never claimed. Additionally the acronyms BVE and others (Guerrilleros de Cristo Rey, Anti Terrorismo ETA or ATE, Primera Línea de Fuerza Nueva, Grupos Armados Españoles, Alianza Apóstolica Anticomunista or Triple A and, later, GAL and GANE) seem to have been indistinctly used by the same Spanish nationalist networks capriciously.
- December 21, 1978: Killing of José Miguel Beñarán, "Argala" (ETA militant who participated to the assassination of Luis Carrero Blanco in 1973), in Anglet. Carlos Gastón, member of the BVE was accused for this crime. Former OAS member Jean Pierre Cherid took part in it.
- June 25, 1979: Killing of Enrique Gomez Alvarez (alleged ETA militant) in Bayonne.
- June 28, 1979: Killing of F. Martín Eizaguirre and Aurelio Fernández (alleged GRAPO militants) in Paris (France).
- August 2, 1979: Killing of Juan J. Lopetegui Carrasco (ETA militant) in Anglet (France). Claimed.
- September 28, 1979: Killing of Tomás Alba Irazusta, municipal councillor by Herri Batasuna, in his hometown of Astigarraga (Guipuscoa).
- February 2, 1980: Killing of Jesús Mª Zubigaray Badiola, member of Euskadiko Ezkerra, in Hernani (Guipuscoa).
- February 2, 1980: Killing of Yolanda González Martín (Basque student and member of the Socialist Party of the Workers, PST) in Madrid. Claimed. Members of the extreme right party Fuerza Nueva were arrested for this case, including a policeman.
- April 19, 1980: Killing of Felipe Zagarna Ormazábal, member of Herri Batasuna in Hernani. Claimed.
- May 8, 1980: Killing of María José Bravo del Valle (student without known political relation) in Donostia (Gipuzkoa).
- August 30, 1980: Killing of Angel Etxaniz Olabarria, member of Herri Batasuna, in Ondarroa (Biscay).
- September 7, 1980: Killing of Miguel Mª Arbelaiz and Luis Mª Elizondo (HB members) in Hernani.
- November 14, 1980: Killing of Esperanza Arana and Joaquín Alfonso Etxeberria (ETA members) in Caracas (Venezuela).
- November 14, 1980: Killing of Joaquií Antimasbere Escoz (with no known political connection) in Hernani.
- November 23, 1980: Machine-gun attack against the Bar Hendayais in Hendaye. José Camio and Jean Pierre Aramendi (both without known political connections) were killed. Another 10 people were injured.
- December 30, 1980: Killing of José Martín Sagardia Zaldua (ETA member) in Biarritz (France).
- March 3, 1981: Killing of Francisco Javier Ansa Cincunegui, HB member, in Andoain (Guipuscoa).
- Among others.