Bath Half Marathon
|Bath Half Marathon|
|Location||Bath, United Kingdom|
|Course records||Men's: 1:02:01 (2012)
Women's: 1:09.27 (2007)
The Bath Half Marathon is an annual road running half marathon held in Bath, England. It has been held every year since 1981, normally on the second or third Sunday in March. The race was first run in the year after the first London Marathon in 1980 and has remained a popular race for runners preparing for the London Marathon. The next race is scheduled for Sunday 13 March 2016.
The Bath Half is a fast flat course, straddling both sides of the River Avon. The race starts and finishes in Great Pulteney Street - with a roadway spanning 46 feet (14 m) - one of the widest Georgian boulevards in Europe. The first mile is gently downhill down Pulteney Road to Churchill Bridge, then following two identical laps from Churchill Bridge, rising up past Green Park station, round Queen Square, then down Charlotte Street and westbound out of the city centre along the A4 road (Upper Bristol Road and Newbridge Road) to Newbridge and crossing the 'New Bridge' at the 'Twerton Fork' at the beginning of the dual carriageway. From here the race heads back eastbound on the A36 road back towards the city centre, along Lower Bristol Road, before crossing over Churchill Bridge and up Green Park again for the beginning of the second lap. At the end of the second lap the runners pass across Churchill Bridge, finally rising up Pulteney Road to the finish back in Great Pulteney Street.
The course route is unchanged since minor modifications in 2006, the current course being close to the original course used in early years of the race. It was remeasured in 2006 by IAAF official course measurer Hugh Jones, describing the course as 'officially flat, with three undulations'. The assembly area for the race is the Bath Recreation Ground.
|Year||Competitors||Men's winner||Women's winner|
|Athlete||Nationality||Time (h:m:s)||Athlete||Nationality||Time (h:m:s)|
|2006||6,000||Kasimili , Simon Simon Kasimili ||Kenya||1:04:08||Mutwa , Cathy Cathy Mutwa ||Kenya||1:12:43|
|2007||8,165||Shiferaw , Tewodros Tewodros Shiferaw||Ethiopia||1:02:09||Yelling , Liz Liz Yelling||United Kingdom||1:09.27|
|2008||10,054||Tonui , Raymond Raymond Tonui||Kenya||1:05:21||Gebresse , Roman Roman Gebresse||Kenya||1:13:09|
|2009||10,700||Tonui , Simon Simon Tonui||Kenya||1:03:09||Kandia , Joyce Joyce Kandia||Kenya||1:11:49|
|2010||10,800||Cherop , Ezekiel Ezekiel Cherop||Kenya||1:03:03||Ross-Cope , Michelle Michelle Ross-Cope||United Kingdom||1:12:07|
|2011||12,000||Kipkorir , Edwin Edwin Kipkorir ||Kenya||1:04:00||Chelimo , Edith Edith Chelimo ||Kenya||1:11:25|
|2012||Kiptoo , Edwin Edwin Kiptoo||Kenya||1:02:01||Muia , Jane Jane Muia||Kenya||1:11:19|
|2013||12,000||Shiferaw , Tewodros Tewodros Shiferaw ||Ethiopia||1:03:26||Wanjiru , Polline Polline Wanjiru ||Kenya||1:10:28|
|2014||11,300||Kirui , Nicholas Nicholas Kirui ||Kenya||1:03:13||Lekapana , Perendis Perendis Lekapana ||Kenya||1:10:53|
|2015||11,693||Martelletti , Paul Paul Martelletti ||United Kingdom||1:05:27||Stepto , Emma Emma Stepto ||United Kingdom||1:13:48|
- Bath Half 2015: Paul Martelletti is first British winner since 2003 after recording fourth half-marathon success in a month, Bath Chronicle, 1 March 2015, retrieved 12 March 2015
- "Vitality Bath Half Marathon". Bath Half. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Bath Half Marathon". Visit Bath. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- Bath Half Marathon 2006, Running High/Sports Systems, 19 March 2006, retrieved 6 December 2014
- "Thousands compete in 30th Bath half marathon". BBC Somerset. 6 March 2011. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Ellis, Rachel (4 March 2013). "Runners Praise Best Ever Bath Half". Bath Half Marathon. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Organisers say Bath Half Marathon 2013 is best ever, This is Bath, 3 March 2012, retrieved 7 March 2012
- Ellis, Rachel (3 March 2014). "Record attendance and high spirits at the 2014 BATHALF". Bath Half Marathon. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "2014 results". Bath Half Marathon. Retrieved 6 December 2014.