The oil tanker Batillus at the end of her construction in Saint-Nazaire, being fueled by Port-Vendres
|Operators:||Société Maritime Shell France|
|In service:||1976 to 2003|
|In commission:||1976 to 1979|
|Displacement:||74,140 long tons light ship
629,191 long tons full load
LOA: 414.22 m (1,359.0 ft)LBP: 401.10 m (1,315.9 ft)
|Beam:||63.01 m (206.7 ft)|
|Draft:||28.5 m (94 ft)|
|Depth:||35.92 m (117.8 ft)|
|Installed power:||64,800 bhp (48.3 MW)|
|Propulsion:||4 × Stal-Laval steam turbine engines
2 × propellers
|Speed:||16 kn (30 km/h; 18 mph)|
The Batillus-class supertanker is a class of tanker ships built in France at the end of the 1970s. Four such ships were built. Measured by gross tonnage, they are among the largest ships of any type ever constructed.
The only other ship considered larger depending on measure was the Seawise Giant delivered in 1979. Seawise Giant was originally designed with a smaller tonnage than the Batillus class, but had her length and tonnage increased during construction.
Considering gross tonnage, Batillus and Bellamya are the largest ever built at 275,268 tons. Comparably, Seawise Giant's 260,581 gross tonnage when in service as an oil tanker.
Considering fully loaded displacement, the Seawise Giant still holds the record, edging out the Batillus ships.
Regarding depth and draft. The Batillus class depth of nearly 36 metres and full load draft of 28.5 metres are records for ships of any kind, being slightly greater than the two Globtik Tokyo class ULCCs.
Unlike Seawise Giant and most other ULCCs, the Batillus class vessels had twin screws, twin boilers of full size and power, and twin rudders. As a result, in an emergency they could more easily and safely be operated than with a single propeller and a single boiler.
Batillus class sister ships
- Batillus, built in 1976, scrapped in 1985.
- Bellamya, built in 1976, scrapped in 1986.
- Pierre Guillaumat, built in 1977, scrapped in 1983.
- Prairial, built in 1979, renamed Sea Brilliance, renamed Hellas Fos, renamed Sea Giant, scrapped in 2003
- Clarkson Research Studies Ltd. (1987). Tanker Register 1987. International Publication Service. ISBN 0-8002-4143-6.
- Auke Visser (10 June 2010). "Prairial". International Super Tankers. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Auke Visser (10 June 2010). "Batillus". International Super Tankers. Archived from the original on 13 July 2010. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Auke Visser (10 June 2010). "Bellamya". International Super Tankers. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Auke Visser (10 June 2010). "Pierre Guillaumat". International Super Tankers. Retrieved 29 June 2010.