Battalions of Fear
|Battalions of Fear|
|Studio album by Blind Guardian|
|Released||18 May 1988|
|Recorded||October-November 1987 at Karo Studios, Münster, West Germany|
|Genre||Speed metal, power metal, thrash metal|
|Label||No Remorse, Virgin, Century Media|
|Blind Guardian chronology|
Battalions of Fear is the debut album by German metal band Blind Guardian released in 1988. The album is a raw and unpolished speed metal effort that touches on thrash metal. It lacks many of the stylistic flourishes that would mark the band's music in later years, focusing more on speed and aggression. The opening track "Majesty" remains a fan favorite and is often featured in the band's live performances. This album was remastered, remixed and re-released on 15 June 2007, with the whole first demo tape, Symphonies of Doom, of the band (at the time called Lucifer's Heritage) as part of the bonus tracks. The album was again re-released as part of the A Traveler's Guide to Space and Time boxset with minor adjustments to the mixing and with new mastering.
- "Majesty" – 7:28
- "Guardian of the Blind" (André Olbrich, Hansi Kürsch, Marcus Siepen, Thomas Stauch) - 5:09
- "Trial by the Archon" – 1:41
- "Wizard's Crown" – 3:48
- "Run for the Night" – 3:33
- "The Martyr" – 6:14
- "Battalions of Fear" – 6:06
- "By the Gates of Moria" – 2:52
- Bonus track
- "Gandalf's Rebirth" – 2:10
- 2007 re-release bonus tracks
- "Brian" (Demo Version) – 2:41
- "Halloween (The Wizard's Crown)" (Demo Version) – 3:22
- "Lucifer's Heritage" (Demo Version) – 4:36
- "Symphonies of Doom" (Demo Version) – 4:08
- "Dead of the Night" (Demo Version) – 3:33
Note: "Gandalf's Rebirth" is featured on all releases other than the LP.
- Hansi Kürsch – vocals and bass
- André Olbrich – lead guitar and backing vocals
- Marcus Siepen – rhythm guitar and backing vocals
- Thomas "Thomen" Stauch – drums
- Hans-Peter Frey - drums on Gandalf's Rebirth
- Christof Theisen - rhythm guitar on Gandalf's Rebirth
- Rolf Köhler - backing vocals
- Michael Voss - backing vocals
- van Waay Design – cover painting
- Kalle Trapp – Recording, mixing and producing, except for Gandalf's Rebirth produced by Olbrich/Kürsch and engineered by Holger Schreiber
Lyrical and musical themes
- The songs "Majesty" and "Run For the Night", as well as the titles of instrumentals "By the Gates of Moria" and "Gandalf's Rebirth", are based on J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.
- Parts of "By the Gates of Moria" are derived from Antonín Dvořák's Symphony No. 9, "From the New World".
- "Majesty" opens with a barrel organ version of Johann Strauss II's waltz The Blue Danube.
- "Guardian of the Blind" is based on Stephen King's It.
- "The Martyr" is about Jesus Christ's passion.
- "Battalions of Fear" refers to US President Ronald Reagan's Strategic Defense Initiative.
- "Wizard's Crown" is about Aleister Crowley. The song was originally titled "Halloween" on the Symphonies of Doom demo tape (1985) while the band was still Lucifer's Heritage.
- "Brian" is about the film Monty Python's Life of Brian.