Battle Arena Toshinden 2
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (November 2014)|
||It has been suggested that this article be split into a new article titled Battle Arena Toshinden URA, accessible from a disambiguation page. (November 2014)|
|Battle Arena Toshinden 2|
Playmates Interactive (North America)
THQ (PC release)
|Distributor(s)||Capcom (Arcade version)|
|Release date(s)||1995 (Arcade)
1996 (Windows 95)
1996 (Sega Saturn)
|Mode(s)||Single player, 2-player|
|Arcade system||Sony ZN-1|
|Sound||Sound CPU : Z80
Sound Chips : SPU, Q-Sound
|Display||Raster, 640 x 480 pixels , 65536 colors|
Battle Arena Toshinden URA (full title Ultimate Revenge Attack) is a Sega Saturn specific sequel to Toshinden Remix (aka Toshinden S).
The core gameplay remains unchanged from the Battle Arena Toshinden but the game includes a simple combo system. The 3D movement was also altered to create slightly better balance in battle; differentiating from the first game, dodge rolling will no longer make the character temporarily immune to the opponent's attack (in the first game, it was possible for a character to dodge straight through even the most deadly attacks). As in the first game, a player falling out of the ring will result in a ring out, only this time, if both players fall out of the ring at the same time, the one who falls out last will be declared the winner.
When the Secret Society discovered that one of their executives, Gaia, had organized the Toshinden tournament behind their backs in order to start a rebellion, he was branded a traitor. Hence a new tournament is organized to lure him to his doom. Meanwhile, one of Gaia's former co-workers, named Uranus, has put the next stage of the organization's plan into action and hopes to not only eliminate Gaia from existence, but also the other nine fighters who participated in the last battle.
Sometime after the events of the first Toshinden game, a police scientist named Ronron creates an android fighter intended for law enforcement, its name being the Replicant. To make the android as strong as possible, its fighting abilities are patterned off the world’s greatest fighter, Sho Shinjo. However, the prototype is stolen just before it can be fully completed. Within time, someone begins murdering famous fighters around the world in a surprising yet shocking manner. With no evidence as to who is behind these murders, the Toshinden fighters grow suspicious of each other... Meanwhile, a mysterious man, known only as Ripper, is seeking Sho Shinjo as his sister (believed to have been Cupido) has disappeared without a trace and he believes Sho killed her. However, every lead he finds takes him to the scene of one of these mysterious murders, leading to him becoming the prime suspect in a shrouded conspiracy that seems to be surrounding him and the rest of the Toshinden fighters.
Returning characters are Eiji Shinjo, Kayin Amoh, Sofia, Rungo Iron, Fo Fai, Mondo, Duke B. Rambert, Ellis, Gaia (PlayStation version), and Sho Shinjo.
- Chaos (PlayStation version) - An executive of the Secret Society who unexpectedly lost his memories and went completely insane. He is given the orders to eliminate the organization's traitor Gaia.
- Tracy - A notorious New York police officer who likes to fight against criminals with a reckless manner. She is assigned to look into the activities of the Secret Society.
- Ripper (Sega Saturn version) - A traveler who and brother of Cupido. He seeks to find the whereabouts of his missing sister.
- Ronron (Sega Saturn version) - A Chinese scientist/teacher who is responsible for the creation of the Repli prototype android. She seeks to find and deactivate her creation.
- Vermilion - An unknown gunfighter who infiltrates the tournament for a shrouded agenda. He is a secret boss in both Battle Arena Toshinden 2 and Toshinden URA.
- Uranus (PlayStation version) - A beautiful angel-like French woman who happens to be the second-in-command of the Secret Society. She seeks to overthrow the organization's current leader so that she can take control. She is a sub-boss in the PlayStation version.
- Master (PlayStation version) - The final boss in the PlayStation version of Battle Arena Toshinden 2. Master is a powerful psychic who leads the Secret Society and seeks to destroy anything that stands in the organization's way.
- Replicant (Sega Saturn version) - A prototype android created by Ronron. Its original purpose was to be a huge step in the progression of law enforcement. It is the sub-boss of Toshinden URA.
- Wolf (Sega Saturn version) - Ronron's superior, who steals her prototype in order to use it for evil deeds. He is the final boss of Toshinden URA.
Though based on the original PlayStation version of Battle Arena Toshinden 2, Battle Arena Toshinden URA has altered gameplay making it feel notably different. It also has all new arenas, a new story, a different CG intro and four exclusive new characters; Ripper, Ronron, Replicant, and Wolf that replace four of the PlayStation version's characters: Gaia, Chaos, Uranus and Master.
A special edition of Toshinden 2 later released only in Japan for the PlayStation on The Best range (equivalent to the Greatest Hits and Platinum ranges in North America and Europe). It features notably enhanced graphics, improved control and tweaked CPU AI. It also makes some balancing tweaks to the characters' attacks. An option to save results, option settings and unlocked characters to memory card was also added.
Toshinden 2 was ported to the PC. It is a straight Windows port of the original PlayStation version with the ability to play the game in higher resolutions and some additional options such as the ability to remap all the controls (the PlayStation version only allowed the remapping of the shoulder buttons). Unlike the PlayStation original, it also saves unlocked characters, settings and results. However, the introductionary movie was removed for unknown reasons
|This section requires expansion. (November 2014)|
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2014)|