Battle Beneath the Earth
|Battle Beneath the Earth|
|Directed by||Montgomery Tully|
|Written by||Charles F. Vetter|
|Music by||Ken Jones|
|Edited by||Sidney Stone|
Battle Beneath the Earth (1967) is a British spy film starring Kerwin Mathews. It was released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. The film also features character actor Ed Bishop, who later went on to star in the Gerry Anderson cult TV show UFO.
The plot involves rogue elements of the communist Chinese army who use fantastic burrowing machines in an effort to place atomic bombs under major U.S. cities. The U.S. Navy sends troops underground to combat them. The film has been described as "deliriously paranoid".
- Kerwin Mathews as Cmdr. Jonathan Shaw
- Viviane Ventura as Tila Yung
- Robert Ayres as Adm. Felix Hillebrand
- Peter Arne as Arnold Kramer
- Al Mulock as Sgt. Marvin Mulberry
- Martin Benson as Gen. Chan Lu
- Peter Elliott as Dr. Kengh Lee
- Earl Cameron as Sgt. Seth Hawkins
- John Brandon as Maj. Frank Cannon
- Ed Bishop as Lt. Cmdr. Vance Cassidy
- Carl Jaffe as Dr. Galissi
The movie received a VHS home-video release in the early 1980s. It was also a staple of afternoon-movie or Saturday-morning Creature Features-type TV programs before the historic sale of the MGM/UA film library. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer originally handled North American theatrical distribution
- Chapman, James (2006) . Saints & Avengers: British Adventure Series of the 1960s. Popular Television Genres. London: I.B.Tauris. p. 124. ISBN 978-1-86064-754-3.
… most notably the deliriously paranoid science-fiction film Battle Beneath the Earth (1967) in which the Chinese attempt to invade America by burrowing under the ocean.
- Battle Beneath the Earth (DVD), ISBN 1-4198-6943-4