Battle of the Bands (video game)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)|
|Battle of the Bands|
European box art
|Developer(s)||Planet Moon Studios|
Battle of the Bands (formerly titled "Band Mashups") is a video game published by THQ and developed by Planet Moon Studios for the Wii console. It is a rhythm game in a similarstyle to the Guitar Hero series, PaRappa the Rapper, and Bust a Groove, however does not use any peripherals outside of the standard Wii Remote.
The game features 30 licensed songs with 5 cover versions done in completely different styles. The five main genres of music are Rock/Metal, Funk/Hip-Hop, Country Western, Latin, and Marching Band. There will also be three tracks performed with an orchestra.
The game features two of the eleven bands in the game playing the song head-to-head against one another. Notes will roll up from the bottom of the screen (as opposed to from the top like similar games) and the player must move the remote in sync. The game also features various power-ups including electrifying the other player's board, shrinking notes or flipping the notes around. However, certain instances allow the other player to block the effects from taking place with synced button presses. The music of the player playing the best will have their music playing dominantly, with the others being less audible.
The game features cover versions of thirty licensed songs, each presented in five different musical styles. The songs include:
- Gorillaz - "Feel Good Inc."
- Tag Team - "Whoomp! (There It Is)"
- Tenacious D - "Master Exploder"
- The Ramones - "Blitzkrieg Bop"
- The Commodores - "Brick House"
- KC and the Sunshine Band - "That's the Way (I Like It)"
- Texas Tornados - "Adios Mexico"
- The Black Eyed Peas - "Dum Diddly"
- Cypress Hill - "Insane in the Brain"
- Kool & the Gang - "Jungle Boogie"
- LL Cool J - "Mama Said Knock You Out"
- The Fixx - "One Thing Leads to Another"
- Soundgarden - "Spoonman"
- Def Leppard - "Photograph"
- The Soggy Bottom Boys - "Man of Constant Sorrow"
- B-Real - "Fistful of Dollars"
- Ram Jam- "Black Betty"
- Korn - "Coming Undone"
- Electric Six - "Danger! High Voltage"
- Rick James- "Give It To Me Baby"
- Wet Willie - "Dixie Rock"
- Keane - "Is It Any Wonder?"
- AFI - "Miss Murder"
- TV on the Radio - "Wolf Like Me"
- Texas Tornados - "Una Mas Cerveza"
- The Georgia Satellites - "Keep Your Hands To Yourself"
- Audioslave - "Original Fire"
- Texas Tornados - "Hey Baby Que Paso"
- Latin Soul Syndicate - "Shake It"
- Ziroq - "Tierra del Sur"
Battle of the Bands had mostly negative reviews. IGN gave the game 5.6/10 saying the controls were simple and that the game is not much of a challenge. Gametrailers gave the game 4.2/10, saying that some of the remixes are painful to hear and the controls could leave the player with a strained wrist.