|Developer(s)||EA Digital Illusions CE|
|Distribution||Optical disc, download|
Battlefield 4 is a first-person shooter video game developed by Swedish video game developer EA Digital Illusions CE (DICE) and published by Electronic Arts. It is a sequel to 2011's Battlefield 3 and was released on October 29, 2013 in North America, October 31, 2013 in Australia, November 1, 2013 in Europe and New Zealand and November 7, 2013 in Japan for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
Battlefield 4 received a positive critical response from reviewers and was a commercial success, praised for its multiplayer mode, gameplay and graphics. In contrast, the game's single-player campaign was criticized for being short and shallow, and for its numerous glitches and bugs that still have yet to be addressed (also present in multiplayer mode).
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Synopsis
- 3 Development
- 4 Marketing
- 5 Downloadable content
- 6 Reception
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The game's heads-up display (HUD) is much the same, composed of two compact rectangles. The lower left-hand corner features a mini-map and compass for navigation, and a simplified objective notice above it; the lower right includes a compact ammo counter and health meter. The mini-map, as well as the main game screen, shows symbols marking three kinds of entities: blue for allies, green for squadmates, and red/orange for enemies.
Players can use dual-scoped weapons, including weapons with different firing modes (e.g. single shots, automatic fire). They can "spot" targets—marking their positions to the player's squad—in the single player campaign (a first in the Battlefield franchise) as well as in multiplayer, allowing teammates to either suppress or eliminate them. Bullet-dropping-system has become much more enhanced allowing players to precise their aiming with the environment. In addition, players will have more survival capabilities, such as countering melee attacks from the front while standing or crouching, shooting with their sidearm while swimming, and diving underwater to avoid enemy detection.
The single-player Campaign has several differences from the main Multiplayer component. For the most part, the player must traverse mini-sandbox-style levels, in some cases using vehicles, like tanks and boats, to traverse the environment. As the player character, Recker, the player can use two Campaign-only functions: the Engage command and the tactical visor. The Engage command directs Recker's squadmates, and occasionally other friendly units, to attack any hostiles in Recker's line of sight. The tactical visor is similar to a laser-designator, in the sense that it that allows the player to identify friendly and enemy units, weapon stashes, explosives, and objectives in the field. By identifying enemies, the player can make them visible without using the visor, making them easier to mark for their teammates. At one point, Recker will briefly lose the tactical visor, forcing them to only use the Engage command to direct his squadmates on a limited number of enemies.
The Campaign features assignments that require specific actions and unlock weapons for use in multiplayer upon completion. Collectible Weapons return along with the introduction of Collectible Dog Tags which can be used in Multiplayer. Weapon crates are found throughout all levels, allowing players to obtain ammo and switch weapons. While crates hold default weapons, collectible weapons may be used whenever they are acquired and level-specific weapons may be used once a specific mission assignment has been completed by obtaining enough points in a level.
Battlefield 4's multiplayer contains 3 playable factions; U.S., China and Russia and up to 64 players on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. A newly reintroduced "Commander Mode", last seen in Battlefield 2142, gives one player on each team an RTS-like view of the entire map and the ability to give orders to teammates. Also, the Commander can observe the battle through the eyes of the players on the battlefield, deploying vehicle and weapon drops to "keep the war machine going", and order in missile strikes and such on hostile targets (as long as at least one friendly player can see the target). A spectator mode is included, enabling players to spectate others in first or third person, as well as use a free camera to pan around the map from any angle.
On June 10, 2013, at E3, DICE featured the map "Siege of Shanghai", pitting the People's Liberation Army against the U.S. Marine Corps. The gameplay showcased Commander Mode; new weapons and vehicles; and the "Levolution" gameplay mechanic. The video displays the last of these at various points, including: a player destroying a support pillar to trap an enemy tank above it; and a large skyscraper (with an in-game objective on the top floor) collapsing in the center of the map, kicking up a massive dust cloud throughout the map and bringing the objective closer to ground level. Levolution also includes effects such as shooting a fire extinguisher to fill the room with obscuring clouds, car alarms going off when stepped on, metal detectors going off once passed through, or cutting the power in a room to reduce others' visibility.
The maps included in the main game are "Siege of Shanghai, Paracel Storm, Zavod 311, Lancang Dam, Flood Zone, Rogue Transmission, Hainan Resort, Dawnbreaker, Operation Locker and Golmud Railway". The game modes on offer include Battlefield's Conquest, Domination and Rush; while adding two new game modes called "Obliteration and Defuse", along with traditional game modes such as Team Deathmatch and Squad Deathmatch.
The four kits from Battlefield 3 and other similar games are present with new enhancements and abilities. The Assault kit now must wait for defibrillator to recharge before reviving another player. The Engineer kit uses PDWs, and carbines are available to all kits. The support kit has access to the new remote mortar and the XM25 allowing for indirect suppressive fire. The Recon kit is now far more mobile and is able to equip carbines, designated marksman rifles (DMRs), and C4. Sniping mechanics are also enhanced with the ability to zero in your sights (set an aiming distance), and equip more optics and accessories than previous Battlefield games. The Recon kit is still able to utilize the MAV, T-UGS, and the Radio Beacon.
New vehicles have also been introduced. With the addition of the Chinese faction, new vehicles include the Type 99 MBT, the ZFB-05 Armored Car, and the Z-10W Attack Helicopter. Jets have also been rebalanced and put into two classes, "Attack" and "Stealth". The Attack jets focus is mainly air to ground capabilities, while Stealth jets focus mainly on air to air combat. Another vehicle added in Battlefield 4 is the addition of the RCB and DV-15 Interceptor attack boats, which function as heavily armed aquatic assault craft.
Customization has also been heavily improved in Battlefield 4, with all new camos available for every gun. A new "adaptive" camo is also being introduced that can adapt the camo to the map being played without the player having to change camos every game. Camos can now be applied to Jets, Helicopters, and Tanks.
Setting and characters
Battlefield 4's single-player Campaign takes place in 2020, six years after the events of its predecessor. Tensions between Russia and the United States have been running at a record high, due to a conflict between the two countries that has been running for the last six years. On top of this, China is also on the brink of war, as Admiral Chang, the main antagonist, plans to overthrow China's current government. If he succeeds, Chang will have full support from the Russians, bringing China to the brink of war with the United States.
The player controls Sgt. Daniel "Reck" Recker, second-in-command of a U.S. special operations squad callsigned "Tombstone". His squadmates include squad leader SSgt. William Dunn, Heavy Weapon Specialist SSgt. Kimble "Irish" Graves, and field medic Sgt. Clayton "Pac" Pakowski. Early in the Campaign, Tombstone is joined by CIA operative Laszlo W. Kovic, originally known as "Agent W." from Battlefield 3's Campaign; and Chinese Secret Service agent Huang "Hannah" Shuyi. The Campaign also sees the return of Dimitri "Dima" Mayakovsky from Battlefield 3's Campaign—still alive after the nuclear detonation in Paris six years ago, and under the Chinese military's custody for unknown reasons.
Unlike the Campaign of its predecessor, Battlefield 4's Campaign primarily follows chronological order, and permanently casts the player as Recker. In the beginning, set in Baku, Azerbaijan, Tombstone Fire Team—consisting of Recker, Dunn, Irish, and Pac—escapes the city, with vital intelligence in hand and Russian special forces in hot pursuit. The squad winds up trapped in a civilian's car when it plunges into the sea. Dunn, trapped between the seats and critically wounded, gives Recker his revolver and orders him to shoot out the windshield. Reluctantly, Recker shoots the window, and Dunn drowns as the others escape. As Tombstone swims to the surface, the player hears their commanding officer, Captain Garrison, talking over the phone about the intel: that Admiral Chang is planning a military coup d'état, and if he succeeds, he will gain full Russian support, confirming an earlier report from an asset in China. Tombstone returns to the USS Valkyrie, an amphibious assault carrier en route to China's eastern coast. On board, Garrison informs them of the assassination of Chinese presidential candidate Jin Jié, and that Chang convinced the Chinese that the United States was responsible.
Garrison sends Tombstone, with Recker as squad leader, on a covert mission in Shanghai to rescue three VIPs: Kovic, Hannah, and Hannah's husband. With Tombstone's help, Kovic takes his fellow VIPs to the Valkyrie by helicopter. Meanwhile, Tombstone takes a civilian tourist boat from the shore, just as an electromagnetic pulse fries all electric equipment in the area. Realizing that there are other civilian refugees stranded on boats around them, and against Pac's protests, Irish leads them to the Valkyrie. Aboard the Valkyrie, they head for the USS Titan, a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier that can assist them. Upon sighting the Titan, the Valkyrie finds it critically damaged by Chang's Chinese military. Garrison orders Tombstone, with Kovic as acting squad leader (Recker lost the position because he didn't stop Irish in Shanghai), to scour the wreckage of the Titan for the vital ships voyage data recorder before it sinks. Tombstone recovers a hard drive with data from before the Chinese missile attack and fight their way out against boarding Chinese soldiers. The Titan buckles under its own weight while sinking and splits in two, forcing Tombstone to jump ship. Making their way back to the Valkyrie with a hijacked assault boat, they find the carrier under siege by Chinese forces. They board it to repel the Chinese assault. Kovic is critically injured during the engagement, and puts Recker back in charge of Tombstone before he dies. Tombstone then clears the bridge and rescues Hannah's husband and Garrison.
Garrison debriefs Recker and Pac on the upcoming assault on the Chinese-controlled Singapore airfield to destroy Chinese air superiority while their air forces are grounded by a storm. Hannah volunteers to join Tombstone, much to Irish's chagrin, as he wasn't involved in the debrief himself. They successfully assault the beach and lead an advance towards the airfield, losing most of their forces in the process. While crossing a bridge to the airfield, Recker is pinned behind by a car blown by the strong winds and tries to break free with the help of Tombstone, to no avail. A large freighter crashes into the bridge, throwing Tombstone into the sea below. They survive and make their way to the airfield via a sewer. After Pac fires the signal flare, Tombstone attempts to evacuate the area using an enemy vehicle, but they are knocked out of their vehicle when the missiles hit, apparently killing Pac. Hannah seemingly betrays the squad, bringing the Chinese soldiers to capture Tombstone; this infuriates Irish, but neither he nor Recker can stop the soldiers from incapacitating them.
Recker and Irish are then taken to a prison in the Kunlun Mountains by the Chinese military. There, the two Marines are interrogated about their mission in Shanghai, with Chang personally watching, before being thrown into cells. Recker is awoken by "Dima", a Russian prisoner suffering from radiation poisoning. Recker helps Dima release the other prisoners, starting a mass riot throughout the prison and reuniting him with Irish. Although the prison guard is overrun, Chinese military arrive and launch an assault. Recker and Irish hold them off long enough for Dima to open the prison gates, only to be caught by Hannah and other soldiers. Hannah shoots the soldiers holding Recker, Irish and Dima at gunpoint; she explains that she had been tasked to protect Jin Jié, who had been posing as her husband. The group fight their way through the Kunlun Mountains to a cable car, which goes down the mountain. The tram is then shot down by an enemy helicopter, and the impact kills Dima.
Forced to continue on foot for two days, Tombstone makes their way down the mountain, forced to hunt for food to survive. They find a jeep and drive to Tashgar, under siege by both Chinese and Russian forces. While driving, Hannah explains that she'd brought Jin Jié to meet her family to give them hope, but that the next day, Chang's army came and killed them all; this mortifies Irish, and he apologizes to Hannah. They eventually find Major Greenland, who commands the remainder of U.S. ground forces in Tashgar. She states that the mobile anti-air that the Russians have are causing them to have a disadvantage. Tombstone volunteers to demolish the dam to flood the area, destroying the Chinese-Russian forces in exchange for a ride back to the Valkyrie. They successfully complete their task, and are sent to the Suez Canal.
They are picked up by a U.S. C-130 using the Fulton surface-to-air recovery system, and are then paradropped to the Valkyrie, which is sailing blindly into Admiral Chang's forces. Tombstone assists in clearing the deck of boarding Chinese forces and find Garrison, who is holed up with Jin Jié, other survivors, and Pac (who had survived Singapore, and escaped by "crawling through a thousand miles of shit with a hole in [his] stomach"). When Chinese forces finally reach the door to the medical bay, Jin Jié convinces Recker to let him show his face to the soldiers, as they had been fighting under the illusion that Jin Jié had been killed. Recker opens the door and is knocked down, but Jié calms the tension between the three forces showing his face to them. The Chinese soldiers celebrate the news of their leader's return and call off the attack.
However, upon hearing this news, Chang barrages the Valkyrie with his warship, hoping to "bury the truth and everyone with it". With no ordinance to strike back, Recker, Irish and Hannah once again volunteer to manually destroy it with explosives. Driving a boat to the warship's blind spot, the trio set the remote charges and use grappling guns to bring them to safety under the Suez Canal Bridge before detonating the explosives. Unfortunately, the remote detonation fails, requiring manual replacement of the charges. Hannah volunteers to set a new charge, but Irish stops her, volunteering to do it himself because China will need Hannah. Recker—and the player—is forced to take two options: either do nothing as Chang's warship obliterates the Valkyrie, thus killing Pac, Garrison and Jin Jié; or to send either Hannah or Irish back down to set the explosives. As soon as the detonator lights green, Recker detonates the charges, destroying Chang's ship but killing whomever had gone down to make it possible. A U.S. rescue helicopter then picks up Recker and his remaining teammate, reporting to Garrison that one member is missing in action. During the credits, the player hears a new dialogue between Irish and Hannah, discussing their pasts, and how they have to keep moving forward with "no fucking regrets".
Electronic Arts president Frank Gibeau confirmed the company's intention to release a sequel to Battlefield 3 during a keynote at the University of Southern California where he said "There is going to be a Battlefield 4". Afterwards, an EA spokesperson told IGN: "Frank was speaking broadly about the Battlefield brand—a brand that EA is deeply passionate about and a fan community that EA is committed to." On the eve of Battlefield 3's launch, EA Digital Illusions CE told Eurogamer it was the Swedish studio's hope that it would one day get the opportunity to make Battlefield 4. "This feels like day one now," executive producer Patrick Bach said. "It's exciting. The whole Frostbite 2 thing has opened up a big landscape ahead of us so we can do whatever we want."
Battlefield 4 is built on the new Frostbite 3 engine. The new Frostbite engine enables more realistic environments with higher resolution textures and particle effects. A new "networked water" system is also being introduced, allowing all players in the game to see the same wave at the same time. Tessellation has also been overhauled. An Alpha Trial commenced on June 17, 2013 with invitations randomly emailed to Battlefield 3 players the day prior. The trial ran for two weeks and featured the Siege of Shanghai map with all of its textures removed, essentially making it a "whitebox" test.
Due to mixed reception of the two-player Co-op Mode in Battlefield 3, DICE decided to omit the mode from Battlefield 4 to focus on improving both the campaign and multiplayer components instead.
AMD and DICE have partnered for AMD's Mantle API to be used on Battlefield 4. The goal was to boost performance on AMD graphic cards providing a higher level of hardware-optimized performance than was previously possible with OpenGL or DirectX. Initial tests of AMD's Mantle showed it was an effective enhancement for slower processors.
DICE released an Open Beta for the game that was available on Windows (64 bit only), Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It featured the game-modes Domination, Conquest and Obliteration which were playable on the map Siege of Shanghai. The Open Beta started on October 4, 2013 and ended on October 15, 2013.
Technical issues and legal troubles
Upon release, Battlefield 4 was riddled with major technical bugs, glitches and crashes across all platforms. EA and DICE soon began releasing several patches for the game on all systems and DICE later revealed that work on all of its future games (including Mirror's Edge, Star Wars: Battlefront and Battlefield 4 DLC) would be halted until Battlefield 4 was working properly. In December 2013, more than a month after the game's initial release, an EA representative said, "We know we still have a ways to go with fixing the game – it is absolutely our #1 priority. The team at DICE is working non-stop to update the game."
EA President Peter Moore announced in January 2014 that the company did not see any negative impact to sales as a result of the myriad of technical issues. He said any negative impacts to sales were actually due to the transition from current-generation (PS3, Xbox 360) to next-generation consoles (PS4, Xbox One), and that other video game franchises like FIFA and Need for Speed were experiencing similar effects. As a reward for players who bought the game early and continued to play it despite all of the bugs and glitches, DICE rewarded players in February 2014 with all-month-long, free multi-player content such as: bronze and silver Battlepacks, XP boosts and events, camouflage skins, shortcut bundles for weapons and additional content for Premium members.
Because of the widespread bugs and glitches that were present, EA became the target of multiple law firms. The firm Holzer Holzer & Fistel, LLC launched an investigation into EA's public statements made between July 24 and December 4, 2013 to determine if the company intentionally misled its investors with information pertaining to, "the development and sales of the Company's Battlefield 4 video game and the game's impact on EA's revenue and projects moving forward." Shortly thereafter, the law firm Robbins Geller Rudman and Dowd similarly filed a class action lawsuit against EA for releasing false or misleading statements about the quality of Battlefield 4. A second class action lawsuit was announced only days later from the firm Bower Piven, which alleged that EA violated the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 by not properly informing its investors about the major bugs and glitches during development that may have prevented the investors from making an informed decision about Battlefield 4. Bower Piven sought out investors who lost more than US$200,000 to become the lead plaintiff.
Six months after the initial release of the game, in April 2014, DICE released a program called Community Test Environment (CTE), which let a limited number of PC gamers play a different version of Battlefield 4 that was designed to test new patches and updates before giving them a wide-release. One of the major patches tested was an update to the game's netcode, specifically the "tickrate," which is how frequently the game and server would update, measured in cycles per second. Because of the size of Battlefield 4 in terms of information, DICE initially chose to have a low tickrate. However, the low tickrate resulted in a number of issues including damage registration and "trade kills." The CTE program will test a higher tickrate, among other common problems.
In March 2013, Electronic Arts opened the Battlefield 4 website with three official teasers, entitled "Prepare 4 Battle". Each hints at three kinds of battlespace: air, land and sea. EA then continued to release teaser trailers leading up to the unveiling of Battlefield 4 at the Game Developers Conference on March 26, 2013. The following day, Battlefield 4's first gameplay trailer, which doubled as a showcase for the Frostbite 3 engine was released. Shortly thereafter, EA listed the game for pre-order on Origin for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360; however, EA excluded any mention of the next generation consoles.
In July 2012, Battlefield 4 was announced when EA advertised on their Origin client that those who pre-ordered Medal of Honor: Warfighter (either Digital Deluxe or the limited edition) would receive early access to the Battlefield 4 beta, this has since been expanded to include any Battlefield 3 Premium owners, and any Origin users who pre-purchase Battlefield 4 Digital Deluxe Edition. Although players who qualify for access in more than one way will only be granted one beta pass for their account and is non transferable to other players. The "Exclusive" beta started on October 1, 2013, with the open beta that went live on 4 October. The beta will be on three platforms, PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 and will be featuring the Siege of Shanghai map on the Conquest game mode.
DICE revealed more Battlefield 4 content in the E3 2013 event at June 10, 2013, such as multiplayer modes, and allowed participants to play the game at the same event. More information was released at Gamescom 2013 in Cologne, Germany, such as the "Paracel Storm" multiplayer map and Battlefield 4 Premium. Battlefield 4 Premium includes five digital expansion packs featuring new maps and in-game content. Two-weeks early access to all expansion packs. Personalization options including camos, paints, emblems, dog tags and more. Priority position in server queues. Weekly updates with new content. Double XP events, 12 Battle Packs. Battle Packs are digital packages that contain a combination of new weapon accessories, dog tags, knives, XP boosts, and character customization items, three are included with all pre-orders of the Origin Digital Deluxe edition. The service will also transfer your Premium membership from Xbox 360 to Xbox One or PS3 to PS4. Premium membership pre-orders started the day the service was announced (August 21, 2013). DICE has also announced that if you purchase the game for a current generation system (PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360) you will be able to trade it in for a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One version of the game for as little as $10. Additionally all PlayStation 3 and 4 copies will include a code in the box to redeem a digital copy on the PlayStation Store.
An important strategy of DICE's market strategy to promote Battlefield 4 was the series of TV and web advertisements entitled Only in Battlefield 4. Each one of these TV spots was narrated by a player of Battlefield 4 describing one of the unique experiences they encountered, along with a re-creation of the event using gameplay footage. These advertisements highlighted the free-form nature of the upcoming game, such as the destructibility of the environment and the dynamic nature of the game's combat engine. These events included things such as demonstrating the new Levolution feature, upgrades to gameplay, and unscripted moments that cannot occur in other games' multiplayer mode.
Due to poor reception from gamers, on May 30, 2013, EA discontinued the online pass for all existing and future EA games including Battlefield 4.
Battlefield 4 will feature a total of five downloadable content (DLC) packs that will include new maps and additions to the gameplay. All five DLC packs are available for download two weeks before the scheduled release date to those players who have purchased premium at no additional charge.
On May 21, 2013, DICE unveiled Battlefield 4: China Rising on a Battlelog post and stated that it would include four new maps on the Chinese mainland, ten new assignments, new vehicles, as well as the Air Superiority gametype. It is available to those who pre-ordered the game at no extra cost. It was released to premium players in December 3, 2013 followed by a general release on December 17, 2013.
On June 10, 2013, DICE unveiled Battlefield 4: Second Assault during the Microsoft Press Conference at E3 2013. It was announced that it would be the first expansion pack to be released for Battlefield 4 and would first debut on the Xbox One. It was released on November 22, 2013, the same day the Xbox One was launched. The expansion features the return of four fan-favorite maps from Battlefield 3 and introduces Capture the Flag as a new gametype. On February 18, 2014, Second Assault became available as Premium exclusive for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC. It became available for non-Premium users on March 4, 2014.
On August 20, 2013, DICE unveiled Battlefield 4: Naval Strike at Gamescom 2013. It involves dynamic ocean combat on four new maps taking place in the sea and features a new mode called "Carrier Assault" inspired by Battlefield 2142. The original release date was planned for March 25, 2014 for premium members and April 8, 2014 for non-premium members but was delayed several hours before release for Xbox One and PC without a new release date being set. On March 26, 2014, Naval Strike was released for premium members on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and Xbox 360. The Xbox One version was released for premium members on March 27, 2014, and the PC version was released on March 31, 2014.
At Gamescom 2013 DICE unveiled Battlefield 4: Dragon's Teeth. Its maps take place in war-torn cities locked down by the People's Liberation Army. Dragon's Teeth was released on July 15, 2014 for Battlefield 4 Premium Members only. For Non-Premium members it will be released on 2 weeks after July 15, 2014 which is July 29, 2014. A new game mode included in this Dragon's Teeth DLC is called "Chain Link". There are four new maps included in Dragon's Teeth called "Lumphini Garden, Pearl Market, Propaganda and Sunken Dragon". There are 11 new Assignments and a new robot called "the R.A.W.R" that can be founded on those four maps.
On August 20, 2013, DICE unveiled Battlefield 4: Final Stand at Gamescom 2013. Nothing is currently known about the expansion pack except that it will focus on the conclusion of the in-game War of 2020.
Battlefield 4 received positive reviews from critics. GameSpot's Chris Watters gave praise to Obliteration Mode and the multiplayer elements but was otherwise unimpressed with the campaign. IGN's Mitch Dyer stated that "Battlefield 4 is a greatest hits album of DICE's multiplayer legacy" for same versions.
PC Gamer's Evan Lahti stated that although the game strongly resembles Battlefield 3 it still manages to remain "a visually and sonically satisfying, reliably intense FPS". Commander Mode and the diverse map selection within multiplayer were also praised as being good additions to the game.
Joystiq's David Hinkle said that the game "drops players into a sandbox and unhooks all tethers, loosing scores of soldiers to squad up and take down the opposition however they choose". Hinkle praised the campaign elements, but found the multiplayer to not hold any surprises.
GameZone's Lance Liebl stated "Your success in Battlefield is up to you and how well you work as a team. And it's one of the most rewarding games I've played. Battlelog needs some refinement, and there's still way too many crashes, but the multiplayer more than makes up for all of it."
However several reviewers noted that the multiplayer part of the game had been released with a lot of game breaking bugs on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (client or server crashes, lag). Polygon reviewed the game the day of its release, and gave it 7.5, then later downgraded their score to 4 after acknowledging that the game "was still barely playable for many players".
DICE later acknowledged the issues with the multiplayer part of the game and said they were working to fix them, and that they would not work on expansions or future projects until the game problems were resolved. Despite this promise, the game's second expansion was released while numerous recurring problems had yet to be resolved.
Ban in China
In late December 2013, shortly after the release of the "China Rising" DLC pack, the Chinese government banned the sale of the game, with the government wanting stores and online vendors to remove the game and encouraging Chinese gamers who already have the game to uninstall it from consoles and/or PCs. According to the government, the game poses as a national security risk by smearing China's image and army in the form of a cultural invasion as the DLC includes four maps on the Chinese mainland with new vehicles, high-tech equipment and ten new assignments which the government sees as discrediting to the Chinese national image.
An editorial from the China National Defense Newspaper (a subsidiary of the state-owned PLA Daily) published in December 2013 criticised the game for smearing China's image, and accused that whilst in the past Russia would often be used as an "imaginary enemy" in western video games, the shift has recently turned to China. The editorial received significant negative reception amongst Chinese internet users who were generally supportive of how Battlefield 4 was developed.
During the first week of sales in the United Kingdom, Battlefield 4 became the second best-selling game on all available formats, only behind Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. The game's sales were down 69% compared to 2011's Battlefield 3. EA blamed the fall in demand on uncertainty caused by the upcoming transition to eighth generation consoles.
According to NPD Group figures, Battlefield 4 was the second best-selling game of November in the United States, only behind Call of Duty: Ghosts. In February 2014, EA announced that the Premium service for the game has sold more than 1.6 million copies.
According to EA, Battlefield 4 received awards from over 30 video game journalism outlets.
- Makuch, Eddie (March 26, 2013). "Battlefield 4 confirmed for fall 2013". GameSpot. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4: Official Frostbite 3 Feature Video". YouTube. Electronic Arts. June 24, 2013. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- Yin, Wesley. "Battlefield 4 release date, Xbox One version announced • News". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- Savage, Phil (May 22, 2013). "Battlefield 4 release date announced, will arrive late October/early November". PC Gamer. Retrieved May 22, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 Worldwide Release Schedule". Electronic Arts. Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- "Battlefield 4 release date for EU November 1". Game. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- "Battlefield 4 will be dubbed for the Brazilian market". Game Generation. Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- "Battlefield 4: Official 17 Minutes "Fishing in Baku" Gameplay Reveal". YouTube. Electronic Arts. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- Pligge, Zachary (27 March 2013). "18 Things We Know About Battlefield 4 – Battlefield 4 – PC". www.GameInformer.com. GameInformer. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 – E3 Multiplayer Gameplay – Best Moments". YouTube. Electronic Arts. 2013-06-10. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (April 15, 2013). "Battlefield 4 promo material reveals return of Commander Mode, three playable factions". Euro Gamer. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4: Official Commander Mode Trailer". YouTube. Electronic Arts. 2013-06-10. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Battlefield 4: Official Levolution Features Video". YouTube. DICE. Retrieved 2013-08-22. "Aleksander Grøndal: Levolution is the next step in player choice, in how you affect the world, and the world affects you back. It can be anything, [like] creating all new paths to get the upper hand in a fight. Raise bollards to stop vehicles, fortify your position by activating the shutter gates. Or how about trapping [an] enemy with one of your hand grenades?"
- "Ask DICE: Battlefield 4 – Levolution and Commander Mode". "Fird96 asked, "Will other maps have their own "special" Levolution? Will there be the same Levolution (falling building) or different Levolution in other maps?"
Yes, Levolution occurs on every map. Some things are massive like reducing a skyscraper to rubble or flooding an entire level in real-time. Others are small but hugely impact the game like shooting fire extinguishers to distract enemies or cutting the power of a building to blind opponents.
If you haven’t seen the Paracel Storm map we unveiled at Gamescom we encourage you to do so. There you can see how players have the option of taking down a turbine weakened by lightning in order to free the damaged destroyer stuck on it. If you manage to set the destroyer adrift, it will crash onto the island, changing the layout of the map and allowing your team to take control of the anti-air weapons on the ship.
These moments are all triggered by the players – they aren’t just timed moments that will happen no matter what you do in the match. You and your teammates will have to decide if it would be a better tactical decision to radically change the map, or if it would be wiser and better for your play-style if you stopped the other team from triggering these events."
- [EA] LooooveCommander (Sep 27, 2013). "All Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Maps Revealed". blogs.battlefield.com. Retrieved Sep 29, 2013.
- Savage, Phil (Sep 27, 2013). "Battlefield 4 announces the full list of maps and modes available at launch". Retrieved Sep 30, 2013.
- [DICE] H Brun (Sep 27, 2013). "The Road to Battlefield 4: Every Game Mode Revealed". Retrieved Sep 30, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 – Random Map Exploration of Shanghai Gameplay". YouTube. GameSpot. 2013-06-12. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- "Battlefield 4: Official Battlelog Features Video". YouTube. Electronic Arts. 2013-07-25. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- "Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Demo - Siege of Shanghai E3 2013". YouTube. 2013-06-10. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "The Road to Battlefield 4: Tweaked to the Core".
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Baku. "Dunn: If the intel we got is right about Admiral Chang and the Russians, none of us is going home."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Baku. "Oracle: [picking up the call] Yup. / Garrison: Tombstone retrieved the intel. / Oracle: And...? / Garrison: In the event of a Chinese military coup, the Russians would be loyal to Admiral Chang. / Oracle: That confirms the report from our asset in China. / Garrison: So Staff Sergeant Dunn was killed for something we already knew? / Oracle: There's rioting in the streets of Shanghai, Captain, and the Russians are getting involved. We needed to know for sure. That we had to lock down Suez is delicate enough. One wrong move, and we're talking war. You have your orders, Captain. / Garrison: Aye aye. Steaming towards the east coast of China."
- "Battlefield 4 (BF4) [Official Site]". Battlefield.com. Electronic Arts. 2013. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 – Campaign Details Reveal - News - Battlelog / Battlefield 3". Battlelog.battlefield.com. July 18, 2013. Retrieved July 27, 2013.
- "Single Player - Boot Camp - Battlefield 4 (BF4)". Battlefield.com. Retrieved 2013-10-28. "Battlefield 4 puts you in the boots of US Marine Sgt. Daniel Recker, member of the Tombstone squad. Against the backdrop of a global conflict between US, Russia and China, you'll engage in combat on foot and by operating land, sea and air units. Thankfully, you're not alone in your struggles on the Battlefield. The bonds with your teammates will grow stronger as you face perils of every kind. Don't let your squad down; they're counting on you as much as you need them to survive.
Pac - Easy going and very likeable, Clayton "Pac" Pakowski is a key member when it comes to keeping the Tombstone squad together. Although this "little brother" of the squad lacks the experience of his teammates, Pac's got your back and grows through his experiences.
Irish - Kimble "Irish" Graves isn't too keen on his nickname, since luck has nothing to do with his skills on the Battlefield - according to him. This experienced teammate gets the job done and doesn't concern himself with the politics behind the battles that Tombstone Squad faces.
Hannah - Huang "Hannah" Shuyi is a Chinese Secret Service agent and one of the VIP's that your squad encounters early in Battlefield 4. Secretive and self[-]dependent, Hannah doesn't let anyone get close but will be crucial for your team's survival."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Shanghai. "Pac: [to Irish while in the elevator] Hey. You ever get claustraphobic in these things? / Irish: Man, Pac, it's not the elevators that bother me. It's the height thing. I can't take it."
- whatsupdog (2013-08-01). "High-Resolution Battlefield 4 Tombstone Squad Character Renders and Fishing in Baku Concept Art". Lightning Gaming News. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Battlefield 4 | Single Player | Official Site". Battlefield.com. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Xbox Consoles News: New Battlefield 4 single player trailer punches a dog in the face - Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine". Oxm.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Battlefield 4: Official Single Player Story Trailer". YouTube. Electronic Arts. 22 October 2013. Retrieved 22 October 2013. "Hannah: [arguing with Irish, who doesn't trust her] What is your problem? You don't like having a woman in your squad? / Irish: I don't have a problem with women; I've got a problem with liars!"
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Kunlun Mountains. "Dima: [as Recker slowly regains consciousness] Recker... Recker. They said this is your name. You know something about...Jin Jié. I hear them talking. About you. About Jin Jié. They say you know something... Hey, Sergeant...! Wake up. You['re] an American, remember? [Recker starts to get up.] You think your country will come for you? [Standing up, Recker finds a man in a hooded jacket, back to him.] No. You will rot here. Take it from me. [The man turns around—a man with skin peeling from his face (due to radiation poisoning from six years ago), and a shank in his hand.] You have no reason to trust me. But there is a limit to what one man can do alone. [Dima offers the shank to Recker, who accepts it.] A chain is only [as] strong as its weakest link. [pulls out a pipe from the wall behind him] I see you are strong, and have necessary skills to get us out of this shit place. So, I trust you. Do you understand? Unless the stink down here is what you [would] like to breath [for] the last few hours of your life. [pulls another segment of pipe out, and begins ramming the wall out with it] When you have survived a nuclear explosion, like I have; or you[']re fighting for freedom—[busts a hole through the wall]—like you say you are, you are not—going to—wait to—[finally makes the hole big enough for people to fit through]—die—in prison. What's behind this wall, huh? More prison? Or freedom? [climbs through first] Come on, aren't you curious? Follow me. [grunts] Shit! Watch where you're putting your hands."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Baku. "Dunn: Ease up, Pac. [closes the door] Where the hell've you been? / Pac: After the hand-off went pear-shaped, I came straight here. They were Russians, right? Spec Ops? One second, they're there; the next, they're not... / Dunn: Take deep breaths, son. You got the intel? / Pac: [pats his vest] Yeah, yeah, got it. / Dunn: Nice play."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Baku. "Dunn: [to Recker] Recker, I need your knife! / Pac: What for, Staff Sargent? / Dunn: Gotta cut the leg! / Pac: Gotta do what?! [...] / Dunn: A wolf stuck in a trap; it'll chew its own leg off to survive. C'mon! The bone's powder; just flesh and uniform keepin' me here! ...Do it! Cut it now!"
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Baku. "Dunn: This wasn't how it was supposed to happen, Irish. Recker—[hands Recker his magnum]—take my gun. It's yours now. / Irish: The fuck you thinkin', Dunn? The fuck you thinkin'?! / Dunn: For the wolf to survive, it's gotta chew off its own leg. Fire! / Irish: [to Recker] Negative, don't do it! / Dunn: Now, Recker—shoot out the window! That's an order! [...] Shoot out the window or you all die! [Recker pulls the trigger.]"
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Scene: Cinematic. Level/area: Shanghai. "Garrison: [aboard the U.S.S. Valkyrie; to the remaining members of Tombstone] Martial fucking law, for a billion people. They're pissed off about the assassination of Jin Jié. / Pac: Who was he, sir? / Garrison: He was on deck for the [Chinese] presidency. Progressive. He pushed the government for transparency, fairness, freedom of speech. Admiral Chang convinced more than a few of 'em that we killed Mr. Jié. Now if you operation blows up, Chang will have all the excuse he needs to give all that anger, all that hate, a real target. It'll be war. [stands up] Your job is to pull VIPs out of the Zhi You Towers safe and sound. Extraction will be coordinated by one spook agent, Laszlo W. Kovic. Unless absolutely necessary, do not fire your weapons. [turns to Recker] Recker. Staff Sergeant Dunn felt [that] you were the man to lead the team—give orders—if anything happened to him. ...His loss...is tragic, to say the least. [...] Don't make me regret honoring his last decision. Do the right thing. Fly under the radar. No room for mistakes, boys."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Shanghai. "Pac: I got a visual on the building...and what floor are we going to, and how many VIPs did Garrison say? Three with Kovic? / Irish: [correcting him] Kovic and two locals."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Shanghai. "Irish: [to Kovic; about Hannah and her husband] Who are these VIPs? / Kovic: They're very important people. Significant woman and her husband. We're getting them out in one piece. That's all you need to know. / Hannah: [introducing herself] I'm Hannah. This is my husband. Thank you for coming. [...] / Irish: I spotted choppers on the roof. We have to move now! / Kovic: Then we go up. / Irish: [stares at him] What? / Kovic: [preparing a gun] You can take it, I can fly it. Like it or not, that's the plan. Unless you have an option, Sergeant?"
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Shanghai. "Pac: [after covering the VIPs' chopper evac; over radio to Garrison] VIPs inbound in a seized enemy helo. One of them [(Hannah's husband)] in need of immediate medical attention. We are still in the tower, sir; looking for an alternate exit, over."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Shanghai. "Chen: [when Tombstone enters the building] Americans? Good. We can use your help. [...] We are trying to get to the river, but Chang's forces have tanks. No one gets in or out of the city. [...] Our people are fighting back, but Chang's forces are too strong. We're trapped. We could use your help. [...] / Pac: [to Chen] Stay here, protect your kid."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Shanghai. "Pac: Fortress, this is Tombstone 4. We are pulling out in a civilian boat, over. [...] / Garrison: [as a helicopter flies overhead] This is Fortress. Are you taking fire, Tombstone? Say again, Tombstone: are you taking fire? Gimme a sitrep— [...] / Pac: Recker? Irish? Someone tell me what just happened! [...] / Irish: Must've been an EMP blast! [...] Look at all these boats. All these people, man; they're sitting ducks...! [starts yelling to the other civilian boats] Follow us! Follow us; we'll get you to safety! / Pac: Irish, what are you doing?! / Irish: We can't just leave 'em here, Pac. [goes back to yelling:] Follow us! We'll get you to the U.S.S. Valkyrie! / Pac: Are you out of your mind, Irish?! / Irish: I'm in my right mind, Pac. [returns to yelling to the other boats]"
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: South China Sea. "Irish: [to Pac and Recker, about the Chinese refugees] Head count: 396 survivors. Mostly women and children. We did a good thing, right? / Pac: [reluctantly] Yeah… / Irish: Hey… Come on, man. You're not buying that "they're the enemy" bullshit? / Pac: No, of course not. But it wasn't your call to make. Dunn put Recker in charge. / Irish: …I mean, c'mon, Pac. What the f**k is this about? The right thing or f**kin' protocol, man? You know what? Let's take it upstairs. I'll answer to Garrison if there's a problem. / Pac: [following Irish to find Garrison] No, you won't answer. Squad Leader will."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Scene: Cinematic. Level/area: South China Sea.
- "Battlefield 4: Official "Angry Sea" Single Player Gameplay Video". YouTube. Electronic Arts. 10 June 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013. "Garrison (Unidentified Speaker): Clock's ticking on the Titan. I need eyes on board before she's lost forever to the deep blue. Now there's a number of variables at play; we don't know who attacked them, or if they'll be back. We can't afford any surprises. ... I'll make room for any survivors."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: South China Sea.
- Strickland, Derek. "Delving into Battlefield 4's marine combat with "Angry Sea" E3 demo". VR-Zone. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "New Battlefield 4 campaign info emerges". 24 July 2013.
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: South China Sea. "Garrison: Sergeant Recker. Agent Kovic's taking the reins. You will obey his orders as if they're my own. / Irish: Permission to speak, sir— / Garrison: [walking off] Dismissed. / Irish: [protesting] But Captain, Sergeant Recker's— / Garrison: [turns to Irish; sternly] I'm not having this discussion, Irish. You'll obey your squad leader. I'll make room for any survivors. […] Agent Kovic—muster your squad. [Exit.] / Kovic: [to Tombstone] We search the Titan for intel and survivors. Gear up. Weapons and rebreathers."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: South China Sea. "Kovic: [when Irish spots a hole in the Titan's hull] I've seen that damage before: Chinese anti-ship missile. Drive through, Recker! [...] Listen up. The Titan was out of range of the Shanghai EMP blast. She has several hours of report data gathered—stuff we never saw. That's why we're here."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: South China Sea. "Kovic: They launched the missile into the ship [Titan], and then boarded it? That doesn't make sense."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: South China Sea. "Pac: The well deck is open! What's Garrison thinking?! / Kovic: It's not Garrison! Get us in there, now!"
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: South China Sea. "Kovic: [dying from the helo attack] Motherfucker... [holds out the hard drive] It's probably all in there. Take it. Garrison has the codes. [Irish takes the drive.] Chang... Chang's gonna hunt you. You'll be the center of it all. Make sure he [Jin Jié] lives. Marines... Marines, you have to tell Garrison he has to trust her...! / Hannah: Thank you... / Kovic: Recker! Recker, you take the lead. Go... Go—! [voice falters as he dies]"
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: South China Sea. "Hannah: [after Tombstone clears the command deck] Captain Garrison—the bridge is clear. [Garrison steps out.] [Is he okay?] / Garrison: He's [stable.] [to Tombstone] Where's Agent Kovic? / Pac: He didn't make it, sir. / Garrison: Son of a bitch. Thanks to Tombstone, the Valkyrie still floats. [...] Sergeant Recker, I want a debrief in 15 minutes. Tombstone's yours."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Scene: Cinematic. Level/area: Singapore. "Garrison: The intelligence you brought back from the Titan confirms that Pacific Central Command is gone—wiped by [a] Chinese missile attack. This is all Chang's turf now. If there's anything left of our fleet, they're out there, blind as bats. / Pac: 'preciate the gravity of the situation, Captain; all the more reason to be careful. But puttin' her [Hannah] in the squad, Irish isn't gonna— / Garrison: Irish doesn't see the full picture. We're under extreme circumstances. She's going with you. / Pac: Understood. Irish is a good guy; I'll keep an eye on him. [...] / Garrison: Pac, Recker. I need you to follow me on this. We need to make sure our last missiles are put to good use. Assault the airfield. Eyes on the ground. [hands a flare gun to Pac] Signal is when their planes are on the tarmac. We'll light those motherfuckers up and continue west through the strait. [...] Pac, Recker. You might not make it. Many of your friends won't. But this is it—this is the shot we've got. The squad that gets to the airfield and lights their flare... [opens the door to reveal Hannah, armed and combat ready] ...has 30 seconds to get out before we rain our missiles down. [...] Do not become a friendly fire statistic."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Singapore. "Irish: [stopping Hannah] Whoa, whoa, where do you think you're going? / Hannah: I volunteered. / Irish: You volunteered, but who approved? / Hannah: Captain Garrison. Take it up with him. / Irish: [to Recker] You know about this? […] / Hannah: Look, I'm just trying to help. [turns to Recker] You'll back me up, right? [climbs into the RHIB boat] / Irish: [to Recker] In my opinion? Bad f**kin' idea, Recker. She's a risk and a liability. […] / Garrison: [on the PA system, before beginning the assault] Warriors on the Valkyrie. I know we are tired. All of us have suffered—lost friends, loved ones. We will ensure it was not in vain. The storm has grounded enemy aircraft—but it won’t be for long. We may be the only ship left, but we will not go down without a fight. We will steam west. We’ll strike the airfield under storm cover and create a safe passage through the Singapore Strait. Strike with speed and courage. Let this storm carry us home."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Singapore. "Pac: [when Recker vaults over a barricade and slips; and the storm blows a car towards him] Hey, watch out for that car! [...] Shit, he's pinned! [...] / Hannah: [after the wind throws a car over their heads] We've gotta get off this bridge! It's too dangerous! / Irish: [to Recker] We are not leaving you behind! [turns to Hannah] No one gets left behind! Push! [...] / Hannah: What—What is that? / Pac: [seeing the freighter coming their way] It's a big freaking ship!"
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Shanghai. "Irish: What the fuck...? You fuckin'—! [...] / Hannah: [I'm sorry,] Recker. It couldn't be any other way."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Scene: Cinematic. "Bohai: [while torturing Irish] What was your mission in Shanghai?! [...] / Chang: [to a confused Irish] You have no idea who you brought out of Shanghai, do you?"
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Kunlun Mountains. "Hannah: [after killing Bohai and another guard before they can execute Dima, Irish, and Recker; to Recker] Sorry, I couldn't do—ah! [Irish rushes at her, slamming her into a wall.] / Irish: [furious with her] Fucking scum-sucking bitch! / Dima: [steps between them, pushes Irish away from Hannah; outraged, to Irish] You want to kill this Kitayetz zhenshchina?! Right after she saved us?! / Hannah: [to Irish] Calm down! / Irish: Go fuck yourself! You gave us up! / Hannah: Let me explain! / Irish: Fuck that! You got no loyalty! You're working with Chang! / Hannah: No! I have no loyalty to Chang! He wanted Jin Jié dead. It was my mission to protect him! / Irish: Yeah, and look where that got him. He's a fucking dead man! / Hannah: No! He is not. He's— / Dima: [shoving them apart again] Maltshite, children! Unless you all want to die here, we go now! Grab your guns!"
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Kunlun Mountains. "Dima: [to Hannah] You said earlier Jin Jié is not dead. / Hannah: Chang tried to kill him but failed. Now he [Jié] is on board the U.S.S. Valkyrie. / Irish: Your "husband"? Quote unquote. / Hannah: Yes. Just our CIA cover. If Chang finds out where he is located, China's future is in jeopardy. / Irish: F**k China's future. Everybody on board our ship is in jeopardy."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Kunlun Mountains. "Hannah: You guys okay? / Irish: I'll live... Russian dude's dead. At least...At least he died free."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Tashgar. "Hannah: [moving to the front of the truck to join Irish] You sure you're okay? Let me take the wheel. / Irish: That's the last thing I would do, Hannah. / Hannah: Why can't you trust me, Irish? / Irish: Man, gimme a break! I don't know shit about you. Where's your loyalty, anyway? / Hannah: You know what... Nevermind. / Irish: Oh, yeah? Try me. / Hannah: ...I brought Jin Jié to meet my parents, my siblings, and their children. I wanted them to have hope. Next day, Chang's troops came and killed them all. Burned the whole village down. [...] / Irish: Wow... My turn to say I didn't know. Hey, look, Hannah, I'm sorry, all right? / Hannah: [puts a hand on his shoulder] Trust is earned, Irish."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Tashgar. "Greenland: [...] What are you suggesting? / Irish: ...Wasn't suggesting anything, Major. A little disappointed you're not in a position to help us; but we'll be happy to move the rest of these explosives if you have[ ]something with wheels. [...] / Greenland: I got wheels outside. Make damn sure you bring 'em back. [...] Don't call me. I don't wanna know unless this insanity works. Then I owe you a ride west."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Tashgar. "Greenland: The Chinese have taken the northern part of the Suez canal, but we're taking it back. Your ship's gonna [sail right] into a shit-groove. Good luck. [...] / Hannah: [to Recker] If Chang has taken the canal, Jin Jié [will sail] straight into his hands."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Suez. "Pac: [when Recker walks through; holds him at gunpoint] Drop it, motherfucker! [looks, realizes] Jeezus, Reck, I almost shot you in the face again! You made it back! Tombstone's still alive! / Irish: Son of a bitch! We thought you were dead, buddy! [...]
Irish: Hey, Pac, what happened in Singapore? How'd you get out alive? / Pac: They had me fucked, and I got unfucked. Leave it at that. / Irish: When'd you get such a potty mouth? / Pac: Literally crawling through a thousand miles of shit with a hole in your stomach will do that."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Suez. "Jin Jié: [after everyone hears thudding and voices on the other side of the door] They come for me? Chang's men? / Garrison: [hands Jié a rifle] Here, [take this. You'll need it.] / Jin Jié: [declines the weapon] I have laid down my guns, [sir]. My brothers will not kill me. / Garrison: Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Your brothers think you're already dead. You're a target, like us—an assignment, search and destroy. [...] / Jin Jié: In this room, I am invisible. I am dead already. We all are. If I cannot show my face—if I cannot speak to my brothers without fear—then I have lost. I need to know where I stand. [to Recker] Open the door, Sergeant."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts.
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Suez. "Garrison: Christ! Where did that come from?! […] / Hannah: It's Chang! They have a warship north of us. / Garrison: That son of a bitch! He's gonna bury the truth and everyone with it!"
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Suez. "Onscreen Prompts:
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Level/area: Suez. "Bloodhound: Fortress, this is bloodhound. Tombstone's on board. We're bringing 'em back. / Garrison: All are accounted for? / Bloodhound: One of the is missing in action sir. Nothing we can do. We have to pull out immediately. / Garrison: Shit... Understood. Now get my marines back home."
- EA Digital Illusions CE (29 October 2013). Battlefield 4. Microsoft Windows/PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One. Electronic Arts. Scene: Credits. "[...] / Irish: Yeah, I had an uncle. My Uncle J. He showed me everything there was about goin' into the back country. / Hannah: I thought you were a city boy? / Irish: Hell yeah, through 'n' through. But my uncle...he wasn't from the city. [...] / Hannah: Where is he now? / Irish: He's not with us. / Hannah: I'm sorry. / Irish: Yeah, well...[what] can you fuckin' do? Gotta keep movin' forward, right? / Hannah: We lose many people we love. / Irish: Too many, too soon. / Hannah: Sometimes, I think it's [better to just avoid it all]. Be easier, you know? / Irish: Naw, you can't say that. Keep it or lose it, you can't regret it. No regrets. C'mon, Hannah, say it! / Hannah: "No regrets." / Irish: Yeah, that's fuckin' it. [Both laugh.] Yeah, that's it. No f**kin' regrets! / Hannah: [chuckling] No regrets, no fucking regrets. / Irish: There you go. [Hannah laughs.]"
- "Battlefield 4: Countdown to War: Peter Grimsdale: 9781409151289: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. 2013-12-01. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- "EA president mentions Battlefield 4 during college keynote". November 10, 2011. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (November 10, 2011). "EA: There Is Going To Be A BF4". Eurogamer. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 Levolution". Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- Chacos, Brad (Sep 27, 2013). "AMD's low-level Mantle graphics could mean big things for PC gaming". pcworld.com. pcworld. Retrieved Sep 29, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 AMD Mantle and DirectX performance comparison". February 7, 2014. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "Battlefield 4 Beta Information". October 23, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Suszek, Mike (December 10, 2013). "Battlefield 4 PC update addresses server crashes, frame rate issues [Update: Issues tracker added]". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Sliwinski, Alexander (December 19, 2013). "Battlefield 4 patched on Xbox One, again". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Cavalli, Earnest (December 18, 2013). "Three Battlefield 4 updates follow Xbox One's bug-squashing lead". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Sliwinski, Alexander (December 5, 2013). "Battlefield 4 patched for PS3, 'small patch' for PS4". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Cavalli, Earnest (December 12, 2013). "Delayed Battlefield 4 Xbox One update may arrive 'late this week'". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Hinkle, David (December 16, 2013). "Battlefield 4 PC update eliminates kill trading". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Dyer, Mitch (December 4, 2013). "Battlefield 4 Problems Halt 'Future Projects' and Expansions". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Conditt, Jessica (January 28, 2014). "Battlefield 4 sales not hurt by 'quality issues,' EA says". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- Hinkle, David (January 28, 2014). "Battlefield 4 thanks players in February with daily Battlepacks, shortcut kits". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- Cowan, Danny (December 11, 2013). "Law firm investigating EA for allegedly misleading investors with Battlefield 4". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Cowan, Danny (December 19, 2013). "Battlefield 4 targeted in class action lawsuit". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Prell, S (December 21, 2013). "EA finds itself in third law firm's iron sights over Battlefield 4 issues". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- Villapaz, Luke (May 13, 2014). "'Battlefield 4' Community Test Environment Enrollment Opens Up As EA DICE Turns To 'BF4' Players For Input On New Fixes". International Business Times. IBT Media. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Marinconz, Steve (May 16, 2014). "Battlefield 4 Is Finally Getting Fixed". Kotaku. Gawker. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- "Battlefield 4 teaser trailer 'Prepare for Battle: Air'". March 25, 2013. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4: 60 Second TV Spot". YouTube. Electronic Arts. April 16, 2013. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (July 17, 2012). "EA announces Battlefield 4 with Medal of Honor pre-order bonus". Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 retailer image shows October 31 release". gamespot.com. GameSpot. Apr 25, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 Beta". Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- Galang, Gilda (May 30, 2013). "Battlefield 4 Multiplayer at E3 2013". International Business Times. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- Ivan, Tom (29 October 2013). "TV advert highlights "only in Battlefield 4" moments". Gamesradar. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Tucker, Travis. "TV advert highlights "only in Battlefield 4" moments". Stealthybox. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Online Pass has been discontinued, and its requirement for older games will be eliminated.|EA Help". help.ea.com. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "BATTLEFIELD 4™CHINA RISING 4 NEW MAPS, BRAND NEW VEHICLES, HIGH TECH GEAR". DICE. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 DLC". BF4Central. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "DICE Producer Interview - Craig Mcleod China Rising". YouTube. 2013-12-09. Retrieved 2014-01-12.
- Davies, Paul (December 3, 2013). "Battlefield 4: China Rising DLC broadens horizons for both veterans and raw recruits". VG247. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "Battlefield 4 Second Assault Is Rolling Out - News - Battlelog / Battlefield 4". Battlelog.battlefield.com. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- "Ask DICE: Battlefield 4 Naval Strike". Battlelog. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Battlefield 4 Naval Strike: Carrier Assault". Battlefield Blog. March 7, 2014. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Battlefield 4 for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 for PlayStation 3 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved November 5, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 for Xbox One Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Battlefield 4 for PC". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 for PlayStation 3". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 for PlayStation 4". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 for Xbox 360". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- Cocke, Taylor (October 29, 2013). "Battlefield 4 review". Official Xbox Magazine. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- Watters, Chris (October 28, 2013). "Battlefield 4 Review". GameSpot. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- Dyer, Mitch (October 28, 2013). "Battlefield 4 PC Review". IGN. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- Dyer, Mitch (October 28, 2013). "Battlefield 4 Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 Review". IGN. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- Hinkle, David (October 29, 2013). "Battlefield 4 review: Corralling chaos". Joystiq. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- Lahti, Evan (October 28, 2013). "Battlefield 4 PC review". PC Gamer. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- Sonntag, Lawrence (October 28, 2013). "Battlefield 4 Review". Inside Gaming Daily. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- Liebl, Matt (November 5, 2013). "Call of Duty: Ghosts Review: A dog-gone good time". GameZone. Retrieved November 5, 2013.
- Liebl, Lance (9 November 2013). "Battlefield 4 review: great when it works". GZ. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Battlefield 4 Review". incgamers.com. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-12-01. "Make no mistake: right now, you’re paying top dollar for a product that shouldn’t have been launched in this state."
- "Battlefield 4 Xbox One Review". IGN. 2013-11-26. Retrieved 2013-12-01. "Periodic crashes and connectivity issues can be irritating, if you're unfortunate enough to experience them. Comparatively, Xbox One's servers are more populated than PlayStation 4's, with more readily available 64-player Conquest matches, but it's definitely not as smooth as would be ideal."
- "Battlefield 4 PC servers hit by DDOS, while crashes plague PS4 version". Joystiq. 2013-11-18. Retrieved 2013-12-01. "This past weekend was a rough one for Battlefield 4, with DDoS attacks hitting the PC game and myriad crashes infesting the newly-launched PS4 version."
- "Battlefield 4 review: bullet drop". Polygon. 2013-12-07. Retrieved 2013-10-29. "More than a month after its initial release, Battlefield 4 is still barely playable for many players, and EA and DICE can't seem to fix the problem"
- "DICE acknowledges that Battlefield 4 PC crashes "affecting a large number of players"". GameSpot. 2013-11-18. Retrieved 2013-12-01. "DICE has posted a Battlefield 4 update saying that the developer is looking into fixing numerous bugs across all platforms, including the game crashing on PC."
- "DICE Halts Work on Other projects to Fix Battlefield 4". insidegamingdaily.com. 2013-12-05. Retrieved 2013-12-15. "According to a statement issued by EA, the studio is “not moving onto future projects or expansions until we sort out all the issues with Battlefield 4."
- "Known Battlefield 4 Issues and Next Steps (Updated: Feb 25) - Answer HQ". Answers.ea.com. 2013-10-30. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- "Battlefield 4 now banned in China". Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- 宫玉聪, 2013-12-11, 官媒：国外游戏抹黑中国形象 扭曲事实误导青少年, 中国国防报
- Jeremy Blum, 2013-12-18, Chinese state media says Battlefield 4 video game is a 'new form of cultural aggression', South China Morning Post
- Scammell, David (November 7, 2013). "Assassin's Creed sales down 60% year-on-year, Battlefield 4 down 69% on Battlefield 3". VideoGamer.com. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- "EA: Next-Gen consoles are the reason for lower sales of Battlefield 4!". Ghost Company. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- Conditt, Jessica (December 12, 2013). "November NPD: PS4 is 'top-selling' console, Xbox One is 'fastest-selling' [Update: Nintendo boasts big numbers, too]". Joystiq. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- "Battlefield 4 Premium sales top 1.6 million". Bf4central.com. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
- "Over 30 Game Industry Awards Earned by Battlefield 4 date=2013-10-18".