Battleship (2012 video game)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
|Developer(s)||Double Helix Games (PS3 & X360)
Magic Pockets (Wii, DS & 3DS)
|Release date(s)||AU 20120418April 18, 2012
EU 20120420April 20, 2012
NA 20120515May 15, 2012
Battleship is the name of two video games based on the film of the same name (which in turn is based on the board game Battleship), both of them published by Activision in 2012. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions are a first-person shooter developed by Double Helix Games while the Wii, DS and 3DS versions are a turn-based strategy game developed by Magic Pockets.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2012)|
Battleship follows elite demolitions specialist Cole Mathis as he clashes against an aquatic-based extraterrestrial peril in the sand and sea of the beautiful Hawaiian archipelago. He uses his battle command to command the ships to battle against the alien fleet at sea. The human ships at sea are the Supercarrier Ronald Reagan, Battleship Missouri, Cruiser Yukan, Destroyer J. Q. Adams, Frigate Chesapeake, and Attack Submarine Laredo.
|Kirk Thornton||Captain Willie Perozzi|
|Dave Mallow||Master Chief Petty Officer Scott Vickers / Lt. Commander Steve Metcalfe|
|David Lodge||Admiral Josh Stone|
|Michael McConnohie||Commander Alan Colder|
|Sam Riegel||Capt. Franklin|
First-person shooter (PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360)
The first-person shooter game for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 has received negative reviews. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the Xbox 360 version 40.67% and 38/100 and the PlayStation 3 version 39.43% and 44/100 PlayStation Official Magazine UK remarked "It isn't even the sketchy gameplay that sinks this Battleship – it's the abhorrently commercial objective apparent in every second of rushed gameplay. There's no artistic vision here, and the original idea at its core hasn't been given the time and love needed to build a coherent or enjoyable game."
Turn-based strategy (Wii, DS & 3DS)
Reviews for the turn-based strategy game for the Wii, DS and 3DS were significantly more positive, but were nonetheless mixed. Aggregating review websites GameRankings and Metacritic gave the 3DS version 55.83% and 55/100, the Wii version 55.50% and 54/100, and the DS version 40.00%. Nintendo World Report called it "competent", but essentially no more than a second rate variation on Advance Wars. Pocket Gamer gave a more positive review, acknowledging that the game is an Advance Wars copycat but concluding "Those looking to recreate the movie on the go are out of luck here, but if you're after a complex and thoughtful game of naval tactics, Battleship should be right up your galley."
- "Battleship (Xbox 360)". GameRankings. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Battleship for Xbox 360 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Battleship (PlayStation 3)". GameRankings. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Battleship for PlayStation 3 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Battleship review, PlayStation Official Magazine UK. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- "Battleship (3DS)". GameRankings. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Battleship for Nintendo 3DS Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Battleship (Wii)". GameRankings. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Battleship for Wii Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Battleship (DS)". GameRankings. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Dawson, James (28 May 2012). Wii version review, Nintendo World Report.
- Willington, Peter (14 May 2012). 3DS version review, Pocket Gamer.