Baume et Mercier
|Subsidiary of Richemont|
|William Baume & Paul Mercier (Founders)
Alain Zimmermann (CEO)
Baume & Mercier was founded as "Frères Baume" in 1830 by brothers Louis-Victor and Célestin Baume, who opened the watch dealership in Les Bois, a village in the Swiss Jura. The Swiss watch manufacturer expanded internationally by establishing a branch in London in 1921 under the name "Baume Brothers", which led to expansion throughout the British Empire. By the late 19th century, the company had an established international reputation, and its timepieces had set accuracy records and won a number of timekeeping competitions.
In 1918, company director William Baume partnered with Paul Mercier to found "Baume & Mercier" in Geneva. The firm became specialized in manufacturing wristwatches, particularly unconventional "shaped" models that did not possess the traditional round form. In 1919, Baume & Mercier was awarded the Geneva Seal, the highest international distinction of the time for watchmaking excellence.
In the 1970s, Baume & Mercier introduced shaped timepieces such as the Galaxie and Stardust models. In 1973, Baume & Mercier presented the Riviera, one of the world's first steel sports watches. In 1988, the Swiss watchmaker joined the Richemont group.
Today, the brand offers the Clifton, Classima, Hampton, and Capeland collections for men, and the Hampton and Linea collections for women.
Baume & Mercier celebrity ambassadors have included Gwyneth Paltrow, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Andy Garcia, Gary Sinise, Ashton Kutcher, David Duchovny, Teri Hatcher, Kim Basinger, Evangeline Lily, Kiefer Sutherland and James Hunt. The "Baume & Mercier & Me" celebrity endorsement campaign has been used to raise money for charity.
The current models in the Baume & Mercier collection:
- Hampton - vintage rectangular-shaped collection based on Baume & Mercier timepieces from the 1940s in the Art Deco style
- Capeland - vintage chronograph collection
- Classima - minimalist collection of classic watches
- Linea - women's collection with interchangeable straps
- Clifton - vintage collection based on Baume & Mercier timepieces from the 1950s
- Riviera - sport chronograph collection. To commemorate the perfect game he pitched on May 29, 2010, Roy Halladay of the Philadelphia Phillies purchased 60 personalized Riviera Sport 8724 Chronographs for each of his teammates, the entire coaching staff, and all clubhouse personnel to express his appreciation.
- Diamant - women's collection featuring a signature "diamond oval" crown
- Iléa - women's collection 30mm in diameter, featuring an off-center diamond on the crown
- "History". Baume & Mercier.
- "Gwyneth Paltrow Clocks Face Time for Baume & Mercier". Women's Wear Daily. 10 January 2011.
- "Exclusive Interview: Emmanuelle Chriqui and Baume & Mercier". A Timely Perspective. 5 February 2013.
- "Celebrity Endorsers Engage Latino Consumers". Hispanic Retail 360. April 2013.
- "Celebrity watch: Are you a Brad or a James?". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 11 January 2007.
- "Luxury Watch Brands Turn to Target Marketing". Women's Wear Daily. 26 March 2009.
- "Time with a conscience". The Australian. 2 September 2009.
- "The watch brand ambassadors". The Times of London. 14 April 2011.
- "Collection Worlds". Baume & Mercier.
- "Baume & Mercier's Hamptons move". GQ. 14 October 2011.
- "Watch Test: Baume & Mercier Capeland Chronograph". WatchTime. 13 August 2013.
- "Timeless Luxury: The Baume & Mercier Linea Interchangeable Wrap Watch". Second City Style. 26 September 2012.
- "Baume & Mercier: The Clifton Series". AskMen.
- "A Watch We Like: The Baume & Mercier Clifton". Esquire. 24 April 2013.
- "Market Focus USA: No rainbows, but a glimpse of the sun". Europa Star. 12 September 2012.
- "A perfect gift". The Philadelphia Inquirer. 24 August 2010.
- "Baume & Mercier Riviera Sport Chronograph". AskMen.
- "Phillies Pitcher Roy Halladay Buys 60 Baume & Mercier Watches For Teammates After Perfect Game". Hodinkee. 25 August 2010.
- "Baume & Mercier Diamant Watches For Women". Luxist.
- "Inspired Baume & Mercier". South China Morning Post. 23 May 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Baume et Mercier.|