Baumgardener's Covered Bridge
|Baumgardener's Covered Bridge|
|U.S. National Register of Historic Places|
|Official name: Pequea #10 Bridge|
|Road||Township 427 (single lane)|
|Length||120 ft (37 m)|
|- Mainspan||32 m (105 ft) |
|Width||4.3 m (14 ft) |
|Overhead Clearance||11.5 ft (4 m)|
|Design||Burr Arch Truss Bridge|
|Owned and Maintained by||Lancaster County|
|NRHP Ref Number||80003541|
|Load||5 short tons (4.5 t)|
|Added to NRHP||December 11, 1980|
|MPS||Covered Bridges of Lancaster County TR|
|Wikimedia Commons: Baumgardener's Covered Bridge|
The Baumgardener's Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Pequea Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Pequea #10 Bridge.
The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color.
The bridge is located approximately 0.5 miles (0.80 km) north of Frogtown Road on Covered Bridge Road just to the east of Pennsylvania Route 324 in Martic Township. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-25. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 11, 1980.
The Baumgardener's Covered Bridge was built in 1860 by Davis Kitch at a cost of $1,284. In 1987 the bridge was restored after it was damaged in a flood the previous year. During the restoration process, which cost $200,000, the bridge was raised by 4 feet (1.2 m) and lengthened by 9 feet (2.7 m) to protect it from damage in potential future flooding.
It has been slated to be dismantled due to structural problems, and will be replaced with a modern concrete bridge.[verification needed]
- List of covered bridges in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- List of bridges on the National Register of Historic Places in Pennsylvania
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Federal Highway Administration National Bridge Inventory (2008). "Place Name: Pequea (Township of), Pennsylvania NBI Structure Number: 367228042515100; Facility Carried: T-427, Covered Bridge Rd; Feature Intersected: Peqeua Creek". Nationalbridges.com (Alexander Svirsky). Retrieved November 20, 2008. Note: this is a formatted scrape of the 2006 official website, which can be found here for Pennsylvania: "PA06.txt". Federal Highway Administration. 2006. Retrieved November 20, 2008.
- "Baumgardener's Covered Bridge". County of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. October 20, 2001. Retrieved August 7, 2006.
- "Baumgardener's Covered Bridge". Pennsylvania Dutch Convention & Visitors Bureau. 2006. Retrieved July 7, 2006.
- McCain, Roger A. "Baumgartner's Mill Bridge". A Guide to Old Covered Bridges of Southeastern Pennsylvania and nearby areas. Archived from the original on 7 September 2006. Retrieved August 3, 2006.