Veiller in 1920
January 2, 1869|
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Died||January 16, 1943
New York City
|Parents||Elizabeth and Philip Bayard Veiller|
Bayard Veiller (January 2, 1869 – January 16, 1943) was an American playwright, screenwriter, producer and film director. He wrote for 32 films between 1915 and 1941.
He was born on January 2, 1869 in Brooklyn, New York to Philip Bayard Veiller. He was married to the English actress Margaret Wycherly from 1901 to 1922; their son, Anthony Veiller, was also a screenwriter.
Veiller first broke into Broadway theatre with The Primrose Path, a play that he wrote and produced. However, it was a failure and left him broke. His first success as a playwright came from Within the Law, a huge hit on Broadway in 1912-1913. It was later adapted as a movie five different times. Veiller continued to write plays as he also took up screenwriting. His later Broadway hits included The Thirteenth Chair and The Trial of Mary Dugan, which were also adapted as films.
- The Deadlier Sex (1920)
- There Are No Villains (1921)
- Smooth as Satin (1925)
- The Trial of Mary Dugan (1929)
- The Thirteenth Chair (1929)
- Paid (1930)
- The Eagle and the Hawk (1933) producer
- Miss Fane's Baby Is Stolen (1934)
- The Trial of Mary Dugan (1941)
- The Notorious Sophie Lang (1934) producer
- "Bayard Veiller, Writer of Plays. Author of 'Within the Law' and 'Trial of Mary Duffan' Is Dead Here at 74". New York Times. June 17, 1943. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
Bayard Veiller, a leading American playwright for many years, died yesterday morning in the ... Veiller was born in Brooklyn, the son of Philip Bayard Veiller and Elizabeth ...
- Veiller, Bayard (2010) . The Fun I've Had. Cornwall, New York: Cornwall Press. pp. 175–176. ISBN 978-1-4344-0659-0.
- Kabatchnik, Amnon (2009). Blood on the Stage, 1925-1950: Milestone Plays of Crime, Mystery, and Detection. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press. pp. 123–125. ISBN 978-0-8108-6963-9. OCLC 320351782.
- Associated Press (June 17, 1943). "Bayard Veiller Dies". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- Bayard Veiller at the Internet Movie Database
- Bayard Veiller at the Internet Broadway Database
- Works by or about Bayard Veiller in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Works by Bayard Veiller at Project Gutenberg