|Industry||Insecticides (Home Cleaning)|
|Key people||Dr.H.Fisk Johnson
Samuel C. Johnson
Conc. Liquid Insecticides
|Parent||S. C. Johnson & Son|
Baygon is a pesticide brand produced by S. C. Johnson & Son. It is an insecticide used for extermination and control of household pests such as crickets, roaches, ants, carpenter ants, spiders, silverfish and mosquitoes. In 1975, Baygon introduced Australia’s first surface spray for killing cockroaches and other crawling insects.
Baygon was introduced by the German chemical manufacturer Bayer in 1975. In 2003, Bayer sold the brand to S. C. Johnson & Son. As part of the agreement, the active ingredients used in the pesticides are still manufactured by Bayer and supplied non-exclusively to SC Johnson.
Baygon products contain the pyrethroids cyfluthrin, transfluthrin, prallethrin and the carbamate propoxur and organophosphorus chlorpyrifos, as active ingredients. Pyrethroids can lead to a variety of ill effects if ingested in sufficient quantities, including tremors, dyspnea, and paralysis.
Baygon products include:
- Baygon Alameddine
- Baygon Crawling Insect Spray
- Baygon Crawling Insect Spray/Disinfectant
- Baygon Crawling Insect Spray Foam
- Baygon Ant Bait Station
- Baygon Cockroach Bait Station
- Baygon Ant Powder
- Baygon Hows It Goin
- Baygon Moth Bag
- Baygon Genius Electric Liquid Vaporizer
In the Philippines, the brand line included the following:
- Baygon Katol (Mosquito Coils)
- Baygon Electric Mosquito Repellent
- Baygon Fly Paper
- Baygon Fly Bait
Bayer re-entered the business in the Philippines (as Bayer Veterinary Sciences) and is currently using the Blattanex brand to market household insecticides.
- Bayer AG, Financial Report 2003 (pdf, 2 MB)
- Bayer sells off Baygon. (The buzz: news, people & events for the informed PMP), Pest Control, January 1, 2003.
- Baygon agents, Baygon. Accessed on line December 21, 2007.
- FPA List of Household Pesticides, June 30, 2002. Accessed on line December 21, 2007.
- Pyrethroid, Manual of Pesticide Poisoning. Accessed on line December 21, 2007.
- Which product?, Baygon. Accessed on line December 21, 2007.