Bayview Secondary School
|Bayview Secondary School|
Friends Learning Together
|10077 Bayview Ave
Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 2L4, Canada
|School board||York Region District School Board|
|Area trustee||Peter Luchowski|
|Vice principal||Lynn Borlack, Teresa Steel, Arlene Wright|
|School type||High school
International Baccalaureate World School
|Team name||Bayview Bengals|
|Colours||Red, white and black|
|Enrollment||2026 (October 2013)|
Bayview Secondary School is a grade 9–12, 2-semester secondary school operated by the York Region District School Board. It is located north of the northeast corner of Bayview Avenue and Major Mackenzie Drive in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada. Bayview SS was officially opened in 1960.
Bayview SS is named after the street on which it is located. The 15-acre (61,000 m2) land that Bayview SS sits on is formerly a part of the Elliot farm.
Bayview Secondary School is one of the top ranking secondary schools in Ontario according to the Fraser Institute. In 2012, the school ranked 2nd in Ontario with a rating of 9.4 out of 10, behind St. Michael's Choir School in Toronto. It was ranked tenth in Ontario in 2011, third in 2010, tied for tenth with St. Robert Catholic High School in 2009, and 14th in 2008. Bayview S.S. ranked second nationally in the 2011 Euclid mathematics contest for grade 12 students held by University of Waterloo.
Students of Bayview SS come from a variety of linguistic and cultural backgrounds. In 2005, in the neighbourhood around Bayview Secondary School, about 40% of residents were of Chinese ethnic origin, 8.1% were of East Indian origin, and 5.9% were of Iranian origin.
Bayview SS had 1922 students in September 2011. The York Region District School Board had not projected such a big enrollment at the beginning of the school year. It was because there were 150 walk-in students at the beginning of the school year. Moreover, it was predicted that student number would decrease that year because a new Catholic school was opened nearby, but enrollment went up instead of down.
Many parents were concerned that Bayview's enrollment would keep rising in the near future because new condominium buildings would be completed at the Bayview and Mackenzie area in 2011. Many new children would move into Bayview's feeding area.
The IB Program at Bayview is a competitive entry program that consists of approximately 116 students per grade, who are selected based on their performance in a three-part entrance exam (containing math, English, and French), their Grade 7 final report card and a letter of reference. Students would then complete the IB Diploma Program in their Grade 11 and 12 year, which would be used for their university undergraduate applications. In order to convert their 7-point scale into the percentile system in the Ontario education system, IB students are offered a mathematical conversion system. The dropout rate for the IB Program is approximately 0.3%.
Despite being known for its academics, Bayview does excel in many sports. These sports include volleyball, in which they often qualify for OFSAA (Ontario Federation of School Athletic Associations). Other sports that students get actively involved in are soccer, basketball, cricket, ultimate frisbee, tennis, and wrestling. The structure of the sports teams are that grade 9/10 students are in the 'junior' team, whereas grade 11/12 students are in the "senior" team.
Bayview S. S. is home to a variety of clubs, a Student Council and Prefect Organization, music and drama programs. More clubs include the Debate Club, Eco-Club, DECA and CAP (Child Adoption Program). In spring 2012, an outdoor classroom was built using large rocks by the Eco Club.
School Anthem Lyrics (1960)
Here's to Bayview, strong and true,
We the students pledge to you:
In defeat or victory we'll fight our battles valiantly,
And onward through the years we'll try,
To hold the torch of vict'ry high!
Bayview, ever is our place!
We will cheer without disgrace!
Bayview SS is located in Ward 3 of the Town of Richmond Hill. In 2005, Ward 3 had a population of 28,315. Single detached houses are the most common dwelling, comprising 79.93% of total housing in the area. Most common ethnic origins are Chinese (39.85%), East Indian (8.10%), Iranian (5.90%). Most common mother tongues are English (28.48%), Cantonese (21.47%). In 2006, 47.04% of residents of Ward 3 that were 15 years and older had some amount university education. Most of the residents in this area are middle-class families. In 2005, 42.62% of Richmond Hill households earned $100,000 and above.
Bayview Secondary School has a York Region Transit bus stop directly in front of the school that takes students south, to Finch (TTC) in Toronto in approximately 30 minutes. There is also a bus stop within the school's plaza that takes students west to Vaughan Mills in roughly 40 minutes.
- Natalie Bendavid, rugby player for Canadian women's team
- Bryan Buchan
- Paula Lemyre, TV show host
- Trish Stratus, Wrestler
- Craig Walker
- Bryan Buchan (retired after 2010–2011 school year)
- Glenn Clark – former National Lacrosse League player and coach
- Neil Marr Playwright and Author
- Bayview Hill Elementary School
- Crosby Heights Public School
- Richmond Rose Public School
- Silver Stream Public School
- Walter Scott Public School
- Sixteenth Avenue Public School
- Beverley Acres Public School
- "Bayview S.S". Yrdsb.edu.on.ca. Retrieved October 13, 2013.
- "York Region District School Board - Monthly Enrolment Report". York Region District School Board. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "Bayview S.S". Yrdsb.edu.on.ca. November 14, 1960. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
- "Search | Research and news". Fraser Institute. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
- "The Fraser Institute: Schools From Toronto, Kemptville, and Overseas Top Fraser Institute Ontario Secondary School Rankings". Marketwire.com. March 30, 2008. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
- "School Report Cards by Fraser Institute". Fraserinstitute.org. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
- "University of Waterloo 2011 Euclid Mathematics Contest Results". University of Waterloo.
- "YorkRegion | News from the Newmarket Era-Banner, Vaughan Citizen newspaper and others". Theliberal.com. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
- Richmond Hill's Trish Stratus mat star
- "Bayview Secondary School June 2011 Newsletter". Retrieved July 21, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bayview Secondary School.|